Outside in Winter. M1 5w-30 or MaxLife 5w? MRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jlmwyo
Originally Posted By: 4WD
+whatever the + count is:
M1 0w30 ... Rotary 9200 @ -40C / PP -54F ... Winner of the "silly test" (several bottles in Bucky's freezer)

Not sure how often OP changes oil - but of course some folks have a winter/summer motor oil plan ...

Not following, you like PP better?

I think PP means 'Pour Point' in this case.

PS: I'd use AFE 0w30 and call it good.

Doesn't get that cold here, but when up in the Sierra's skiing, it can get downright nasty at 6:00AM... So the big deal is that battery performance will be depressed and oil will be thick. 0W if those temps are common might work well, but if it's only the odd night here and there, 5W HM would be preferred in a car that old.

BUT, the big deal is the condition of the starting circuit and the battery. I'd be all over the cables and especially the ground side. Old cables have crevice corrosion in the crimp-only connections after about 10 years, yours are likely in worse shape. This leads to internal resistance in the cables and that depresses available voltage and impedes current flow even more ...

I'd get new positive and negative leads and solder the crimped ends before installation. I'd run an additional #8 wire from the Bat (-) clamp bolt to the firewall to help the electronics see real ground (crimped and soldered lugs too). I'd make sure the alternator bracket or body was tied to a clean ground so the regulator is putting full change into the battery when running.

And, if the battery is older than about 5 years, it'd get a new one with as many cold cranking amps as will fit the space. If you have the wimpy GM face mount battery cables, now is teh time to go to real top posts with large secure battery cables well clamped.

Clean contacts and full voltage from a good battery will do more than worrying about the difference between 5W and 0W ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Doesn't get that cold here, but when up in the Sierra's skiing, it can get downright nasty at 6:00AM... So the big deal is that battery performance will be depressed and oil will be thick. 0W if those temps are common might work well, but if it's only the odd night here and there, 5W HM would be preferred in a car that old.

BUT, the big deal is the condition of the starting circuit and the battery. I'd be all over the cables and especially the ground side. Old cables have crevice corrosion in the crimp-only connections after about 10 years, yours are likely in worse shape. This leads to internal resistance in the cables and that depresses available voltage and impedes current flow even more ...

I'd get new positive and negative leads and solder the crimped ends before installation. I'd run an additional #8 wire from the Bat (-) clamp bolt to the firewall to help the electronics see real ground (crimped and soldered lugs too). I'd make sure the alternator bracket or body was tied to a clean ground so the regulator is putting full change into the battery when running.

And, if the battery is older than about 5 years, it'd get a new one with as many cold cranking amps as will fit the space. If you have the wimpy GM face mount battery cables, now is teh time to go to real top posts with large secure battery cables well clamped.

Clean contacts and full voltage from a good battery will do more than worrying about the difference between 5W and 0W ...

This times 1000!

Mobil 1 0w-30 will help if you routinely start in sub zero weather, but battery/alternator performance is critical.

I'll take a look at the battery cables I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. Where should I be looking?

I used Ow AFE last Winter actually. I lost about 1 qt over 5000 miles but don't know where it went. Not on the ground I'm positive of that.

I'll take a look at the battery cables I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. Where should I be looking?

I used Ow AFE last Winter actually. I lost about 1 qt over 5000 miles but don't know where it went. Not on the ground I'm positive of that.

1 quart over 5,000 miles isn't bad at all.

I'd use 0w30 too.

It's what I'll be using this winter in Phoenix! But I got it on clearance, that's why.

First look at the way the cables connect to the battery in that car? They are likely the old not-so-good side mount cables. They were hard to keep tight and clean and often lead to poor energy transfer ...

If the car was converted to top post style with robust cables, then I'd be looking at both ends of each cable. The terminals need to be clean and tight on the battery. But the motor ends need to be very solid too.

The ground is especially sensitive. It must carry the same current back to source (battery) but it has no usable voltage to help it along. The voltage has been used up by the device (like the starter motor). So it needs to be really clean and well done.

I always start on the ground side. Pull the battery cable off and examine the ends. The one that bolts to the motor is often just a mediocre crimp. If it looks serviceable (?), clean it with a wire brush, put some tinning fluid/paste in the bolt hole and use your Bernzo torch to warm it until it accepts solder in the bolt hole. Now you know the wire and the lug are solidly connected.

Go to the bolt that held it on the engine and look at it and the surrounding bits. If they are corroded (?), clean them. WD40 and turn out the nearby bolts a turn or two and re-torque. That will give you fresh contacts for a while. Look at the braided ground strap that goes from the engine to the fire wall. If it looks poor, do the same; or replace it with a new heavy duty home made one. Your radio, windows, instruments, dash lights, etc. will all thank you
smile.gif

Now look at the Positive Bat (+) cable. It'll be harder to get to as it will run down to the starter motor, so you'll need to be up on ramps. Same deal. Take it off and look at both ends. If the bolt-on lug looks serviceable (?), do the same as the ground cable, clean and solder.

If any of these look corroded and frayed, just take them to the auto parts house and replace with new same length. If you can part with the extra cash, get new 6-volt cables same length. Take them home, tin the bolt-through ends and solder them.

Also take your battery to the shop/auto parts house and have it tested. If it tests well, you're OK. If it's marginal, replace it. Get as many cold cranking amps as you can afford in the size that fits your battery tray. If it was a side mount battery, now is the time to switch to top mount. You'll need new cables at the same time. Never use repair ends to convert, you will not start on a cold winters day ...

Often, on this generation GM vehicles, the Bat Neg (-) ground cable) runs from the NEG post to the alternator top bracket. So to make this work well, you need to remove the self tapping cable bolt from the bracket and insert a Stainless Steel bolt about 1" ~ 1 1/4" up from the bottom through that hole and snug it up.

IIRC it's 5/16" bolt but may be 3/8" ... Put a star washer under the head of the bolt before inserting up. Grease the threads before inserting. Now you have a stud to put your cable back on with and you can use a flange nut on top to snug it down. More clamping, no thread stripping, no future corrosion, and more surface area to flow current
smile.gif

All this stuff is available at a good hardware store for a few $
smile.gif

Then look at the bolts that hold that top bracket to the head and block. Prolly three of them ... Pick the easiest two without taking one out of the water pump. Take them out and clean the threads on a wire brush. Put grease on them when you re-insert. Use new lock washers. You now have a very strong clean ground system. Your car will start easier all the time, but especially in cold weather
smile.gif

If you decide to make a new ground to the fire wall, you can get a crimp and solder lug that fits that same bolt on the alternator bracket and crimp and solder it to at least a #8 or better, #6 stranded wire. The other end can go under a hood hinge bolt or some other modestly large bolt holding the bodywork together. Clean that bolt too. Use grease when you reinsert it and a new star washer between the bolt head the new ground wire HD lug that you crimped and soldered on.

The grease prevents crevice corrosion for the foreseeable future. And stops the bolt from rusting in place. In the future (like each fall) to renew your ground point, all you do is back off each connection a 1/2 turn and re-torque. No need to go crazy tight. Just turning and re-torquing will renew the contacts
smile.gif

All this will take a few hours. Once done you will not believe how well it will light and idle. How well all your accessories will work. It won't be a new car, but it'll act more like one. And on a cold rainy/snowy/sleet night when it's absolutely miserable out, you'll just slide behind the wheel and it will light right off, and you'll drive off with a smile
smile.gif

Last edited:
+1
My son was getting a run around with mechanic, parts guy, box store (batteries) - I got home from business trip - grabbed a new ground cable - bingo, what's for dinner ? (At least he's a good cook)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
First look at the way the cables connect to the battery in that car? They are likely the old not-so-good side mount cables. They were hard to keep tight and clean and often lead to poor energy transfer ...

If the car was converted to top post style with robust cables, then I'd be looking at both ends of each cable. The terminals need to be clean and tight on the battery. But the motor ends need to be very solid too.

The ground is especially sensitive. It must carry the same current back to source (battery) but it has no usable voltage to help it along. The voltage has been used up by the device (like the starter motor). So it needs to be really clean and well done.

I always start on the ground side. Pull the battery cable off and examine the ends. The one that bolts to the motor is often just a mediocre crimp. If it looks serviceable (?), clean it with a wire brush, put some tinning fluid/paste in the bolt hole and use your Bernzo torch to warm it until it accepts solder in the bolt hole. Now you know the wire and the lug are solidly connected.

Go to the bolt that held it on the engine and look at it and the surrounding bits. If they are corroded (?), clean them. WD40 and turn out the nearby bolts a turn or two and re-torque. That will give you fresh contacts for a while. Look at the braided ground strap that goes from the engine to the fire wall. If it looks poor, do the same; or replace it with a new heavy duty home made one. Your radio, windows, instruments, dash lights, etc. will all thank you
smile.gif

Now look at the Positive Bat (+) cable. It'll be harder to get to as it will run down to the starter motor, so you'll need to be up on ramps. Same deal. Take it off and look at both ends. If the bolt-on lug looks serviceable (?), do the same as the ground cable, clean and solder.

If any of these look corroded and frayed, just take them to the auto parts house and replace with new same length. If you can part with the extra cash, get new 6-volt cables same length. Take them home, tin the bolt-through ends and solder them.

Also take your battery to the shop/auto parts house and have it tested. If it tests well, you're OK. If it's marginal, replace it. Get as many cold cranking amps as you can afford in the size that fits your battery tray. If it was a side mount battery, now is the time to switch to top mount. You'll need new cables at the same time. Never use repair ends to convert, you will not start on a cold winters day ...

Often, on this generation GM vehicles, the Bat Neg (-) ground cable) runs from the NEG post to the alternator top bracket. So to make this work well, you need to remove the self tapping cable bolt from the bracket and insert a Stainless Steel bolt about 1" ~ 1 1/4" up from the bottom through that hole and snug it up.

IIRC it's 5/16" bolt but may be 3/8" ... Put a star washer under the head of the bolt before inserting up. Grease the threads before inserting. Now you have a stud to put your cable back on with and you can use a flange nut on top to snug it down. More clamping, no thread stripping, no future corrosion, and more surface area to flow current
smile.gif

All this stuff is available at a good hardware store for a few $
smile.gif

Then look at the bolts that hold that top bracket to the head and block. Prolly three of them ... Pick the easiest two without taking one out of the water pump. Take them out and clean the threads on a wire brush. Put grease on them when you re-insert. Use new lock washers. You now have a very strong clean ground system. Your car will start easier all the time, but especially in cold weather
smile.gif

If you decide to make a new ground to the fire wall, you can get a crimp and solder lug that fits that same bolt on the alternator bracket and crimp and solder it to at least a #8 or better, #6 stranded wire. The other end can go under a hood hinge bolt or some other modestly large bolt holding the bodywork together. Clean that bolt too. Use grease when you reinsert it and a new star washer between the bolt head the new ground wire HD lug that you crimped and soldered on.

The grease prevents crevice corrosion for the foreseeable future. And stops the bolt from rusting in place. In the future (like each fall) to renew your ground point, all you do is back off each connection a 1/2 turn and re-torque. No need to go crazy tight. Just turning and re-torquing will renew the contacts
smile.gif

All this will take a few hours. Once done you will not believe how well it will light and idle. How well all your accessories will work. It won't be a new car, but it'll act more like one. And on a cold rainy/snowy/sleet night when it's absolutely miserable out, you'll just slide behind the wheel and it will light right off, and you'll drive off with a smile
smile.gif

Thanks so much. It looks like the negative goes to a lug that's underneath the mounting plate for the ICM/coil packs. Spade terminal on one end. It's a 3400 Series V6, the 3.6L.

I have a DVM is there a way to check that I'm getting decent ground before I year into it?

And yes they are side mount. I really hate them too.

I'll get the battery tested too. It's only 1.5 years old and have no reason to think its bad, but why not. O'Reilly's will do it for free
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
M1 0W-30.

I was going to ask about M1 Ow thanks
smile.gif
Who else makes a good 0w?

I think M1 might be on sale right now.

I've used the M1 0w30 AFE before, and also the Amsoil SS 0w30. Both worked well in northern MT cold starts.

You might also consider getting a pan heater, which will help with any oil when it's -30°F outside.

Last edited:
ARCO, you know quite well how difficult it is going to be to find an actual Group IV ILSAC type Xw-30 in North America, outside of the boutiques, and even then there's no guarantee on the base stock or even the ILSAC type HTHS. I used MaxLife 5w-30 successfully over a couple winters in Saskatchewan, including non-aided starts. Mobil 1 5w-30 also got some use from me over the years, although back then, it very well may have been primarily PAO.

My advice is always to grab something reasonably sensible for the climate, and a 5w-XX works almost all the time. The real biggie, as has been pointed out, is to ensure that the battery and relevant connections are up to the task. A PAO 0w-30 along with an oil pan heater and a block heater won't do any good if the battery is frozen.
wink.gif

Before I joined this site, I didn't even know people would switch to synthetic in the winter. I always used 5w20 in my Gasser's and 5w40 with my diesels year round (for the most part). My vehicles have stared at -40 with out being plugged in, (sometimes just nowhere to plug in).

Only time I ever had a truck not start in the winter was the year I worked in north Dakota. Being a dumb canuck I didn't know the differece in #1 and #2 diesel. Fuel gelled off and wouldn't start. Up round these parts, you just buy diesel. In the summer they sell summer stuff, in the winter they sell winter stuff.

5W-30 MaxLife Blend is what I'd use. All the full synthetics would be more likely to leak out on that old girl. The difference in starting would be minimal between that and a 0W-30. Just run the MaxLife year round.

sometimes i've used conventional 5w30 in my cars here in winnipeg, all year round. some nights jan - feb could go down to -40 C.

conventional 5w30, block heater plugged in for a 4 hours or so before i need to leave, and i've never ever had a starting problem.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
5W-30 MaxLife Blend is what I'd use. All the full synthetics would be more likely to leak out on that old girl. The difference in starting would be minimal between that and a 0W-30. Just run the MaxLife year round.

Are you basing this off experience, or what you heard someone say once?

I've got AFE 0w30 in my 83 k20 (350 quadrajet). I put I in before last plowing season, used it all winter (about 100 gallons of fuel through it) and the level hasn't budged on the dipstick. I plan to use it for another season on the same oil *at least* before I consider changing it. In fact, ill probably wait until it is a quart low and just change it rather than add. I don't expect it to be a quart low until the end of the season after next.

Mostly the fears of synthetics causing leaks is completely unwarranted.

Last edited:
I switch to full synthetic Maxlife 5w30 for winter months . I was worried about leaks but have not had any problems . Vehicle is a 99 Explorer .

Originally Posted By: mkskud
sometimes i've used conventional 5w30 in my cars here in winnipeg, all year round. some nights jan - feb could go down to -40 C.

conventional 5w30, block heater plugged in for a 4 hours or so before i need to leave, and i've never ever had a starting problem.

Gotta love the yanks with their questions about 5w30 performance in the cold at 0 degrees lol was minus 3 here yesterday, I thought it was a nice morning for September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back