BMW 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay

That chart makes it look like perhaps disposable income for luxury car purchases is less available this year. The cost of the 3 series BMW has continued to rise since the f30 release I would not buy one at the current prices. It would be interesting g to see the average sales price of each model next to that chart to see if there is a correlation of cost to entry into the market.
Tbh I have not seen a 2 series or even looked it up on the internet

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
People are flocking from Lexus because their cars look downright ridiculous nowadays.

In the present market, a BMW is still the most "drivers oriented" car you can buy, period.

Times change, and BMW has as well. If you want an old BMW, buy an old BMW.

Lexus cars do look pretty bad these days and some models are merely Toyotas in drag.
WRT BMW, I agree.
I like old BMWs and will likely buy another.
Most newer BMWs leave me cold. They just don't appeal in either appearance or driving dynamics.
In an old BMW, you know you're driving a car while in many newer BMWs, it's more as though you're managing a fast appliance.
A somewhat subtle distinction that only those who have driven cars of the past few decades would grasp.
Simply put, the less the car does for you, the more fun it'll actually be and this typically includes three pedals. The goal isn't so much speed as it is entertaining daily driving.
Any car can be made to go fast but many cars will never be fun to drive.

Re North America
I think looks are subjective and Lexus is selling enough new look cars to say more buyers like it rather than not. The "watered down" BMW is selling just fine as well. Every kind of enthusiast tries to project their emotion on the rest of society, or more specifically, on the buyers of said marque, when the truth about what those people want falls somewhere below their passionate watermark. This goes for Green Car enthusiast as much as Driving enthusiasts.

Re North America
I think looks are subjective and Lexus is selling enough new look cars to say more buyers like it rather than not. The "watered down" BMW is selling just fine as well. Every kind of enthusiast tries to project their emotion on the rest of society when the truth about what people want falls somewhere below their passionate watermark. This goes for Green Car enthusiast as much as Driving enthusiasts.

I think that this may be a generational thing.
Many of us who are older drove cars when we were young that would never betray their drivers but that required driver involvement to go fast. This was as true of old BMWs as it was of my old MGB or our '76 Civic or the two '86 Civic Wagons that we once had. It was even true of our '97 and '99 Accord sticks. Any of these cars could be driven fast, but it was up to the driver to exploit that potential. Effortless speed at a push of the right pedal was not in the cards and there was no help beyond driver skill when a corner was entered too fast.
The effort required to drive fast was always a part of the entertainment as were the three pedals involved.
We've lost that.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Re North America
I think looks are subjective and Lexus is selling enough new look cars to say more buyers like it rather than not. The "watered down" BMW is selling just fine as well. Every kind of enthusiast tries to project their emotion on the rest of society when the truth about what people want falls somewhere below their passionate watermark. This goes for Green Car enthusiast as much as Driving enthusiasts.

I think that this may be a generational thing. Many of us who are older drove cars when we were young that would never betray their drivers but that required driver involvement to go fast. This was as true of old BMWs as it was of my old MGB or our '76 Civic or the two '86 Civic Wagons that we once had. It was even true of our '97 and '99 Accord sticks. Any of these cars could be driven fast, but it was up to the driver to exploit that potential. Effortless speed at a push of the right pedal was not in the cards and there was no help beyond driver skill when a corner was entered too fast.
The effort required to drive fast was always a part of the entertainment as were the three pedals involved.
We've lost that.

This is a valid observation.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
rooflessVW said:
As for Lexus, always been and always will be redesigned Toyota Camry.

Ok this I couldn't leave alone. Yes the ES is a Camry, however it's made in Japan not the US and the quality and attention to detail go from superb on the Camry to obsessive on the ES.

However with the exception of a few models, Lexus brings cars to the US market that aren't available as a "re badged Toyota". For example the iS, GS, RC, LS all RWD/AWD models with V-6/V-8 power. What are their us Toyota equivalent? There isn't one. Styling is what it is, love it or don't, but making a blanket statement that they're all a Camry is misleading and borderline ignorant, or at the very least intended to just be inflammatory.

Lol... yeah, OK.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
rooflessVW said:

Ok this I couldn't leave alone. Yes the ES is a Camry, however it's made in Japan not the US and the quality and attention to detail go from superb on the Camry to obsessive on the ES.

However with the exception of a few models, Lexus brings cars to the US market that aren't available as a "re badged Toyota". For example the iS, GS, RC, LS all RWD/AWD models with V-6/V-8 power. What are their us Toyota equivalent? There isn't one. Styling is what it is, love it or don't, but making a blanket statement that they're all a Camry is misleading and borderline ignorant, or at the very least intended to just be inflammatory.

I'm glad you like your boring vanilla cars. Lexus cars are bland, have cheap Toyota switchgear and materials, and their models that don't have a direct Toyota equivalent are still boring, sterile, and have stupid faces. They're reliable and have great resale value, and if that is all that is important to you, so be it. But own it, and don't try to pretend that Lexus makes interesting or fun vehicles.

Sorry, not sorry.

Back on topic, If the only recommended oil for a BMW is a 0W-20, I will use a 0W-20. If there is a thicker option specified in the manual, I will use that.

Last edited:
and have stupid faces

21.gif

Why some find it so important to tell others what's interesting or not has always puzzled me. Weird obsession I guess.

and have stupid faces

21.gif

Why some find it so important to tell others what's interesting or not has always puzzled me. Weird obsession I guess.

I never said they weren't interesting. As a matter of fact, that's the nicest thing I can say about Lexus' current design language: that it's...interesting.

Do you actually plan on adding to the discussion?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
rooflessVW said:

I drove new Camry, and wondered whether they put ANY isolation in the car.
As for built quality, yeah, Lexus really does pay attention. You buy GS 350, nice inside, high quality materials, until you figure out that engine in GS350 is the same engine like in Camry, Highlander etc. except bit of ECU tune up.
So, please, V6 Lexus is nothing but ECU tuned Toyota. Yes, materials are good, but technology wise? NA market is getting lexuses that are based on old technology for the purpose of reliability. Lexus in Europe on other hand offer diesel options, and considering Toyota's diesel track there, I would say they are less reliable then ANY European counterpart.
Again, that does not change a fact that laying on your couch in the living room is same experience as driving Lexus.

I own cars from both ends of the BMW spectrum- an E36/5 and an F22. Both cars are very engaging to drive- but in vastly different ways. The Club Sport motor needs to be kept above 4500 rpm to make rapid progress, and the steering is incredibly communicative. Handling is sharp yet the ride is hardly punishing. In contrast, the 2er may have the visceral feeling turned down a bit, but it is still a lot of fun to drive on the track. The Adaptive M Suspension lets you cruise in relative comfort but selecting Sport+ tightens things up extremely well.

I tell people that the Club Sport is an E30 M3 turned down to 7 while the 2er is an E36 M3 turned up to 11- but take what I say with a grain of salt, as I've only owned 10 BMWs over the past 36 years.

don't try to pretend that Lexus makes interesting or fun vehicles.

33.gif

I never said they weren't interesting

Two comprehension issues i see. Yes, you did say it (your quotes above, not mine) and yes, i have contributed.

Wow, I came to see a BMW 0w-20 thread and found an awful lot of Lexus/Toyota talk.

My new B48 engined MINI calls for 0w-20 too. Anyone get a VOA or UOA on it yet? The only stuff in this grade/spec I've found that I can actually buy here is the stuff from the dealer. Hopefully that'll improve as more of these cars find their way onto the road.

--Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mkosem
Wow, I came to see a BMW 0w-20 thread and found an awful lot of Lexus/Toyota talk.

My new B48 engined MINI calls for 0w-20 too. Anyone get a VOA or UOA on it yet? The only stuff in this grade/spec I've found that I can actually buy here is the stuff from the dealer. Hopefully that'll improve as more of these cars find their way onto the road.

--Matt

I think people who are tuned into it are still using LL-01.

Just got my oil changed today at a local shop in my 2012 328i. I Used Castrol 0w40. No noticeable difference in the way the car runs or sounds compared to the bmw 5w30 in the 13 miles since.
(Nice clean local German car shop that let me chat and hang out at the car during the work).
Only problem we came across was the wix filter I bought came with an o ring that was to thick. Next time I will try a German filter.
I figure the car came with the LL-01 and a 5 qt just of Castrol at Walmart was only 22 or 23 bucks. Easy choice when I live over 200 miles from a dealer.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Just got my oil changed today at a local shop in my 2012 328i. I Used Castrol 0w40. No noticeable difference in the way the car runs or sounds compared to the bmw 5w30 in the 13 miles since.
(Nice clean local German car shop that let me chat and hang out at the car during the work).
Only problem we came across was the wix filter I bought came with an o ring that was to thick. Next time I will try a German filter.
I figure the car came with the LL-01 and a 5 qt just of Castrol at Walmart was only 22 or 23 bucks. Easy choice when I live over 200 miles from a dealer.

My option would be always Castrol 0W40 over BMW oil. First of all, you know what is in Castrol 0W40. It is PAO based oil with some really good numbers and especially good performance in winter. Also, regardless of really good winter performance even for 0W oil, in your area 0W is always more preferable then 5W.
As for filters, always OEM or MAHLE (OEM supplier) and if not that then MANN. You can order these filters very cheap online on web sites like pelican parts, autohousAZ, etc.

Last edited:

--Matt

My manual says to use LL-01 FE only. It does say that as much as a quart of LL-01 or API SL is acceptable as well. The following paragraph says to make sure that the oil is 0w-20, but also (conveniently) says 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30, 0w-40, or 5w-40 can be used. The BMW Twin-Power 0w-30 has the right spec, so I'm thinkin I'd prefer to stick with that.

--Matt

--Matt

My manual says to use LL-01 FE only. It does say that as much as a quart of LL-01 or API SL is acceptable as well. The following paragraph says to make sure that the oil is 0w-20, but also (conveniently) says 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30, 0w-40, or 5w-40 can be used. The BMW Twin-Power 0w-30 has the right spec, so I'm thinkin I'd prefer to stick with that.

--Matt

It depends how you drive. If you are pushing car really hard I would go with Castrol 0W40. If you are just cruising, you could stay on FE (I personally would not). Is car going to die bcs you are using FE? No, but I always use oils that would guarantee 300K in case I keep car that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back