Wix 51223XP (BMW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'm not really sure what is "bingo" in that thread, I read it all the way through and did not see where " a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well", I saw one poster where he said that he had a phone conversation. Yet no numbers were given.

I called WIX myself and was told the efficiency is rated at 50% @ 20 microns. WIX's website also shows the beta ratio for the XP filters to reflect that.

It's been discussed in this forum many times that WIX rates the XP at 50% @ 20 microns, which in "WIX speak" is expressed as "B2=20". Example: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863363

Give them a call yourself if you don't believe it. WIX Customer Service: (704) 864-6748.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I called WIX myself and was told the efficiency is rated at 50% @ 20 microns. WIX's website also shows the beta ratio for the XP filters to reflect that.

It's been discussed in this forum many times that WIX rates the XP at 50% @ 20 microns, which in "WIX speak" is expressed as "B2=20". Example: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863363

Give them a call yourself if you don't believe it. WIX Customer Service: (704) 864-6748.

I believe it.

So how do we answer the OP's question then?

Quote:
I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters--MANN, Mahle, Hengst--and this one [Wix 51223XP] seems like it is.

I believe it.

Quote:
I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters--MANN, Mahle, Hengst--and this one [Wix 51223XP] seems like it is.

My answer to that question is I highly doubt the WIX XP is "superior" to any filter out there in terms of efficiency. It might be "superior" in other ways ... so it all depends on what qualities in an oil filter are important to the person using it.

My personal experience with cartridge oil filter for my E430 is all German brands are very good and reasonably priced on Amazon or Rockauto. I didn't try Wix XP so I don't know, but I tried Fram once I didn't like it. It didn't fit right(too loose) on the filter holder so that oil drained out of the housing overnight and made noise on cold start.

I think German manufactures have much experience with cartridge oil filters, all of them are good for 10k miles or longer.

My answer to that question is I highly doubt the WIX XP is "superior" to any filter out there in terms of efficiency. It might be "superior" in other ways ... so it all depends on what qualities in an oil filter are important to the person using it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My personal experience with cartridge oil filter for my E430 is all German brands are very good and reasonably priced on Amazon or Rockauto. I didn't try Wix XP so I don't know, but I tried Fram once I didn't like it. It didn't fit right(too loose) on the filter holder so that oil drained out of the housing overnight and made noise on cold start.

I think German manufactures have much experience with cartridge oil filters, all of them are good for 10k miles or longer.

At this point, based on what I've read, I think the WIX XP is out. I'm more concerned with filtering ability than longevity. The OEMs seem to do okay up to 15k for a lot of people, so I have no qualms about running them for 5k if they filter well.

Does anyone know of a filter for under $15 that does a better job of filtering compared to the main three OEMs?

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover

I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters--MANN, Mahle, Hengst ...

Does anyone know of a filter for under $15 that does a better job of filtering compared to the main three OEMs?

I guess the question is ... just what is the efficiency of those three OEM filters?

The fact not much data has come out about OE filters, if any, suggests maybe the efficiency is higher than internet blogging has concluded. I bet Fram knows how efficient Honda filters are since they make them, and probably Toyota too, since they have the machines and they likely compare OE filters to their own. fram may have said something about Honda. Amsoil is the only one and they took unknown numbers of samples, probably it was one sample, and there is no way to verify even if the one data point is true. By now the data from that is useless, too old. OE parts are ordered and used, wheel bearings etc, and the oil filter is just another part. Buy it and use it, no worries.

I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters--MANN, Mahle, Hengst ...

I guess the question is ... just what is the efficiency of those three OEM filters?

Nobody knows. I tried searching for efficiency of those cartridge oil filters for sometimes and never be able to find anything.

Aren't / weren't the Mann cartridge filters inside Purolator Classic boxes which claim 96.5% at 20 microns or something like that?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Aren't / weren't the Mann cartridge filters inside Purolator Classic boxes which claim 96.5% at 20 microns or something like that?

I've found that cartridge filters seem to be lower efficiency, at least I know that's true with the old Purolator line.

I emailed Purolator a few years ago about their efficiency rating on the PureOne and Purolator told me that all of their cartridge filters (and their 4 smallest spin-on filters) were 99% @ 40 microns. All of the other spin-ons besides those 4 small ones were 99% @ 20 microns.

Looking up cartridges for a Toyota I found some that used the same verbiage as for their canister filters including adbv etc. So I think some just copy and paste the info into their spec sheet, but the actual cartridge isn't that spec at all. Most all looked like the same Korean knockoff of a Toyota Denso, with Fram being an exception.

As a side note why does a China made Fram TG cartridge filter cost like $10? There is no can, no baseplate, adbv, bypass valve, or center tube. Media, glue and two pieces of plastic end cap is all it is. Plus they have to ship it from China. http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=TG10358

Another side note is I think China is eating our lunch in quality of construction and attention to details. As well as taking our jobs.

I'm not really sure what is "bingo" in that thread, I read it all the way through and did not see where " a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well", I saw one poster where he said that he had a phone conversation. Yet no numbers were given, so my original question still stands as to how a comparison is being made to the German filters. If no numbers are given on either side how do you know anything about any of the filters?

This isn't a "support Wix" thread nor comment. You probably won't believe me but as far as I know I've never used a Wix filter on any of my cars. It has always been OEM for the most part, except for when something "better" is on sale such as when M1 filters were available for $3.99 at Farm & Fleet. So don't take my comments as being in support of Wix.

It's just another case of comparisons being made and conclusions drawn with no data (IMO). The OP's original question was "I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters" and so far I haven't seen any way to make that determination.

It might not have been your intention at all to come off as aggressive, but I very clearly said "I guess" when I was talking about the filtering ability of the OEM filter competed to regular WIX compared to WIX XP. Then you asked for proof of something that I said I was guessing. No hard feelings if you just didn't mean to come off that way. There was quite a bit of info in that WIX XP thread, but I don't know how much of it is true. I doubt the people were lying, though.

In the end, I'm pretty comfortable with the OEM filters. A better filter for ~$10-$15, depending on how much better it is, would be nice, though.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Why not run the Hengst for 10k? I do in my wagon, two OCIs with conventional oil.

Like someone else said, nothing to improve upon with those filters other than local availability (IMHO)... because price-wise their on-par with spin-ons.

What kind of BMW wagon/engine? By two OCIs do you mean you're changing the oil at 5k and the filter at 10k? What kind of conventional oil are you using, brand/weight? Is it doing well with 5k conventional OCIs? Clean under the valve cover? (Sorry for all the questions.) If so, that's a pretty good note for the OEM filters.

Castrol GTX, Rotella TTT, Delvac 1300 and some bulk Castrol 10W-40 from work... most recently M1 HM (on sale). 4-5k change oil and 8-10k change filter. '95 MB E320 wagon has 290k miles and no noticeable consumption of oil. I tow with it every so often as well, utility trailer.

A little late to the thread
smile.gif

I tried a Mobil1 oil filter in my 2003 330CI.

Here are the particle counts, the Mahle was run for 8000 miles the Mobil1 for 10,000 miles.
Both OCIs were Mobil1 0w-40 FS oil.

Code
+-----------------+-----------+-----------+

| | Mahle | Mobil1 |

| | OX 154/1D | M1C-252 |

| ISO Code (2) | 23/16 | 22/14 |

| NAS 1638 Class | 12 | 12 |

| ISO Code (3) | 24/23/16 | 24/22/14 |

| SAE AS4059 cpc | 12 | 12 |

| 4 Micron µm(c) | 143566 | 129901 |

| 6 Micron µm(c) | 55703 | 35285 |

| 14 Micron µm(c) | 411 | 84 |

| 21 Micron µm(c) | 74 | 44 |

| | | |

| UOA wear metals | 8K miles | 10K miles |

| ALUMINUM | 7 | 3 |

| CHROMIUM | 0 | 0 |

| IRON | 23 | 27 |

| COPPER | 23 | 13 |

| LEAD | 6 | 4 |

| TIN | 1 | 0 |

I am running a WIX 51223XP now, but it will be over a year before I change the oil again and will likely not remember this thread
smile.gif

I emailed WIX for the Beta Ratios on the XP filter, they are "proprietary" I was told.

The standard WIX 51223 is rated-(probably similar to the OEM filters)
Beta Ratio: 2/20/75=22/34/45
Nominal Micron Rating: 22

50% at 22 microns
95% at 34 microns
98.7% at 45 microns.

I hope the XP is better, who knows.

Last edited:
Your gonna be told the CP has terrible efficiency bit nobody really knows because it's not available info. A particles count iike you had done above would be revealing

Originally Posted by shanneba
A little late to the thread
smile.gif

I tried a Mobil1 oil filter in my 2003 330CI.

Here are the particle counts, the Mahle was run for 8000 miles the Mobil1 for 10,000 miles.
Both OCIs were Mobil1 0w-40 FS oil.

Code

| | Mahle | Mobil1 |

| | OX 154/1D | M1C-252 |

| ISO Code (2) | 23/16 | 22/14 |

| NAS 1638 Class | 12 | 12 |

| ISO Code (3) | 24/23/16 | 24/22/14 |

| SAE AS4059 cpc | 12 | 12 |

| 4 Micron µm(c) | 143566 | 129901 |

| 6 Micron µm(c) | 55703 | 35285 |

| 14 Micron µm(c) | 411 | 84 |

| 21 Micron µm(c) | 74 | 44 |

| | | |

| UOA wear metals | 8K miles | 10K miles |

| ALUMINUM | 7 | 3 |

| CHROMIUM | 0 | 0 |

| IRON | 23 | 27 |

| COPPER | 23 | 13 |

| LEAD | 6 | 4 |

| TIN | 1 | 0 |

Good data showing that the filter that kept the oil cleaner also resulted in less wear metal levels in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back