I changed my p.s. fluid, it's easy (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. Just wanted to share how I changed my power steering fluid. I bought 2 quarts of (very expensive, $25 a quart) AC Delco COLD CLIMATE power steering fluid (a synthetic blend formulated for low temperatures) from the GM dealer. It was actually the same price there as on Amazon. I warmed up the car, then opened the power steering reservoir. (NOTE: On W-bodies, the power steering fluid reservoir is buried behind the alternator). I took my siphon pump's small black tubing and sucked out the old fluid (only about 5-6 ounces). Then I refilled with my homemade turkey baster extended funnel. I checked the level, capped it off and drove around for a few minutes, taking a route with many turns. I also tried to turn it lock to lock. Then I drove home and repeated the process. I did it 8 or 9 times, over a period of several days. At first, I tried to suck fluid out with the turkey baster but made a huge mess. And even with the siphon pump I still made a bit of a mess. It was pretty easy, other than burning my hand every time.

IMG_0713_zpsokrpxnr3.jpg

You can see the black hose behind the serpentine belt here.
IMG_0714_zps4usyqfyp.jpg

IMG_0715_zpsyjrjarcm.jpg

IMG_0716_zpsaez9p40a.jpg

Here's the fluid that I pulled out the first time, and the 8th time.

IMG_0720_zps2yhoxnox.jpg

Another view,
IMG_0723_zps4wzpohfh.jpg

If you couldn't do a line off exchange, maybe you could have purchased some regular GM approved PSF until you got the system clean, and then sucked and filled with the $50 worth of cold climate stuff.

I would have liked to have a clean system after such an outlay on semi syn fluid!

It seems the cold climate PSF is GM standard 9985835.

Mag1 claims to meet it and is much cheaper (regular PSF pricing)

Nice writing
thumbsup2.gif

Funny, I also changed the PS fluid of my Barchetta today, and it was a total disaster. Usually I use a big syringe to do a drain and fill (I usually do a drain and refill at every OC), takes 5 minutes, and done.

Today I broke my syringe, so I thought "I'll unplug the hose and let the reservoir drain"...ended up putting some PS fluid on the belt, had to strip down the belt, clean the pulleys the best I could, and now I am considering buying a new belt. Needless to say the Barchetta hood is quite crowded and the access isn't the best...

While I was under the car, I noticed the right shaft drive wasn't in the best condition, so now I also have a shaft drive to replace... 5 minutes turned into 1h30, and it isn't finished
mad.gif

WOW... just did a similar exchange on my 2001 Buick. It's a pain to get back there isn't it? Used a turkey baster to get the fluid out. I used O'reilly's Power steering fluid as they advised it has the same specs for the GM stuff. Seems to work well. I may do another flush in a few days just to make sure the new fluid circulates etc.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Glad to see someone changing their PS fluid. That's got to be THE most ignored fluid on a vehicle. Brake fluid gets changed when someone needs a new caliper, AT Fluid once in a while - but NEVER PS fluid. It makes a big difference I have noticed.

I got to change the PS fluid on my Jeep ... twice ... when I was adding a PS cooler to it. Wasn't paying attention and had one of the lines wrapped around the steering shaft. Of course I found that out after I bled the system. Oh well, lotsa new fluid now!

When we bought the ex's '03 Mercury Marauder with 87,xxx the P/S pump whined. The fluid was pretty dark, so I did a couple of turkey-basters every few days and it quieted down. Continued doing that at every oil change. Car now has over 200,000 and the P/S is still nice and quiet and the fluid stays clean.

If you can get to the filter screen in the system, it wouldn't hurt to clean that too. Mine was loaded with gunk.

I flushed my system and cleaned the screen. Here's a video I shot of the process, the screen cleaning is towards the end of the video.

boy that thing is in a bad place.
I did the PS in my brother in laws '04 F150 yesterday (155,000 miles). It was pretty dark coming out as I am sure it has never been changed. After sucking out and refilling about 1.5 qts it was pretty red (uses ATF).
I did my truck the first time when I got it (I think I did 3 qts over a week) and just suck the reservoir out once a year now.
It is about tie to do my wife's car for the first time (4 years, 33,000 miles). Need to find out what it uses.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think my Bugatti also uses the same power steering fluid as it too costs $25 per quart :)

I suggest relocating the reservoir in your Bugatti. I was spilling so much in mine I had to buy another quart. An extra $25 every 10 years gets to be expensive.

I am researching a remote reservoir conversion for one of these cars right now. I am so sick of the location especially when there is a strut tower cross brace installed making the coolant overflow bottle a PITA to remove.
I have found a few tanks that will work well and fittings for the pump once the plastic tank is removed, the return is no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back