Beginners guide to external ATF filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about throwing an external filter on with my trans cooler install on the F150. Will be very easy as I will be running 1/2in hose off the downstream side of the cooler. I believe Wix and B&M make kits and/or bases, but does anybody have a concise list of what bases are out there and what filters fit?

Yeah^

And now you don't have to worry about pristine dealer-sourced cooler lines, so one less thing to worry about
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Yeah^

And now you don't have to worry about pristine dealer-sourced cooler lines, so one less thing to worry about
grin.gif

spankme2.gif
I've actually come to an even better solution on that one. Butcher the new line which doesn't fit, and use it as a barb adapter with the existing return line. Will cause a little "pigtail" curl in my hose run, but thats OK.

I have a Derale filter mount on my 98 F250 L/D

I just bolted it to the frame on the right side right behind the cooler lines so it was easy to plumb into the hoses.

I've been meaning to installed one on my brother's 2005 F150, i plan on mounting it the same way.

+1
The Derale mount looked strong - put in right behind the cooler - use XG16 or Wix XP - still better than the pan filter micron.
By having a drain plug I can do a pan swap in 20 minutes - way cleaner too.

This thread is a bit old, but appropriate to my needs.
I have a 2011 Expedition with the 6R80 transmission and 5.4V8.

What fittings do you use to splice in the filter mount? Pics would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back