Thinking About a New Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to want to argue. Whereas I'm just giving an opinion to a guy I've 'known' online for 15 or so years.

I've ridden all of the tires I've mentioned, under the same conditions, so I can contrast and compare them on the same bike in question in this thread. I have no allegiance to any particular brand, no particular manufacturer is sponsoring me for tires on my streetbikes.

If you like the Shinko that fits your 25 rwhp scooter, then congratulations, you have found your tire.

However, on a 160 rwhp (in stock configuration) Sportbike, all of the Shinko offerings that will fit the bike, are just mediocre in all aspects, compared to their direct competitors. Except for the Drag Radial that does offer good grip for that specific use.

Found a couple dealers near me that have a left over 2015 Yamaha FZ1 for $9,000. More of a hyper sport standard (sit upright) bike. Anyone have one? Might go check one out to see how it feels.

The FZ1 looks to be one of the last Yamaha's with the 5-valve head. Seems Yamaha is now moving towards using a 4-valve head on their new models, like the FZ-10 which is replacing the FZ1. The FZ-10 is ugly looking, the FZ1 looks better IMO.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/fz1

I've ridden the FZ1, and recently had a chance to try the new FZ-10. The FZ1 has a traditional 180° crank, while the FZ-10 has the rod journals spaced at 90° intervals.

The FZ1 doesn't have as much power as the FZ-10, or the electronics package (TC, ABS, Cruise Control) that the FZ-10 has. I also thought the handling was better on the FZ-10. Subjectively, the FZ-10 also sounds better.

It does have a unique look. But I found the look growing on me, as the looks of the 'Busa did back in the day.

But no doubt the FZ1 can be had for less.

02SE - thanks for the comments on both bikes. Yeah, the FZ1 is more bare bones without all the latest electronic gizmos (like the old Busa). No doubt some of those gizmos would probably be nice to have.

Would you say the riding position is about the same between the FZ1 and the FZ-10?

Originally Posted By: 02SE

But no doubt the FZ1 can be had for less.

I picked up a used FZ1 and it's a great all-rounder. Not stunningly fast like an R1 or FZ10, but plenty fast for grey hair crew.

Other than ECU updates, the design has been unchanged since 2006. You should be able to find a lightly used example for well under $5k. Beware of a poor frame weld on some 2006 and 2007 models...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
02SE - thanks for the comments on both bikes. Yeah, the FZ1 is more bare bones without all the latest electronic gizmos (like the old Busa). No doubt some of those gizmos would probably be nice to have.

Would you say the riding position is about the same between the FZ1 and the FZ-10?

I don't think the lack of 'Electronics' is a necessarily a bad thing. My old hot-rodded 'Busa is more fun to ride, simply because it has no safety net. My S1000RR has a full compliment of 'Electronics'. The semi-active suspension is impressive, and it's practically impossible to end up on your head due to ham-fisted throttle or brake inputs.

They seem to be marketing these newer bikes to people that don't want to learn how to ride, and therefore need all the safety nets.

I will say that Cruise Control is nice on long rides, where you might find yourself droning down the freeway, to the next set of twisties.

As for riding position, I'd say the FZ1 and FZ-10 are comparable.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I don't think the lack of 'Electronics' is a necessarily a bad thing. My old hot-rodded 'Busa is more fun to ride, simply because it has no safety net. My S1000RR has a full compliment of 'Electronics'. The semi-active suspension is impressive, and it's practically impossible to end up on your head due to ham-fisted throttle or brake inputs.

They seem to be marketing these newer bikes to people that don't want to learn how to ride, and therefore need all the safety nets.

I will say that Cruise Control is nice on long rides, where you might find yourself droning down the freeway, to the next set of twisties.

As for riding position, I'd say the FZ1 and FZ-10 are comparable.

I agree ... the only gizmos I see being worth while is traction control (especially on a powerful bike) and anti-lock brakes. Even a very seasoned rider might benefit from those once and a while. I have a simple throttle lock for the Busa to give me 'cruise control' if I want it.

Going to try and see if I can test ride one of these left over 2015 FZ1s and see what I think. I even found a new left over 2015 FZ1 for ~$8,000. I assume the 2014 and 2015 are identical except for colors (?).

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Nice, and I like the old style KING Kenny Roberts graphics. Enjoy!
I corrected it for you !!

Congrats on the new bike. I like the homage to King Kenny. I've liked the Triple sound ever since the Laverda Jota, and the old Yamaha XS750-850 series bikes.

Have you tried the S21's on the 'Busa yet?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new bike. I like the homage to King Kenny. I've liked the Triple sound ever since the Laverda Jota, and the old Yamaha XS750-850 series bikes.

Thanks! I like the sound of the triple, has it's own cool tone. The stock exhaust actually sounds pretty nice on this bike. And the engine has a cool "whine" to it like most Yamahas it seems. The XSR900 has all the gizmos too: TC, ABS (2 modes + off), engine mode select (3 modes).

Have you tried the S21's on the 'Busa yet?

I haven't had them mounted yet. I got side tracked trying to see if I could mount & balance them myself instead of paying $50 a wheel, then I got side tracked on this new bike hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back