Wix 51223XP (BMW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone using this filter in their BMW?

I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters--MANN, Mahle, Hengst--and this one seems like it is. It's identical to the NAPA Platinum (these are made by Wix, right?) filter, but it's cheaper. The NAPA Platinum is $18 for me, locally. I can get the Wix filter for just under $11 from Rockauto.

I really like the fact that it's mesh backed, and has synthetic media with lots of pleats. I've seen a few examples online of the OEM filters breaking or tearing. The first filter I removed from the car (MANN) was slightly twisted, but fully intact, when I lifted up the oil filter housing cap.

I've been using Mahle filters--about $5 each--since I got the car, and am happy with them. But I would prefer something better, and these aren't too expensive.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
I've seen a few examples online of the OEM filters breaking or tearing. The first filter I removed from the car (MANN) was slightly twisted, but fully intact, when I lifted up the oil filter housing cap.

What? Where have you seen this? I have never, ever seen a Hengst or Mahle filter that has tears or breaking.

A little twisted from screwing on the housing cap, yes. But I'd like to see where you've seen a few examples of them breaking or tearing.

For $9 at my local dealer, the BMW branded Hengst has never given me occasion to use anything else.

A few different forums online, while searching. The people claimed they were OEM filters. Obviously, there's no way to know for sure.

It definitely hasn't happened to me. The Mahle filters don't even twist. They've all been pretty much straight and intact when I remove them.

I do like Hengst filters. Their filters--air and oil, at least--have looked to be made a bit better than MANN. I can't really tell much of a difference between any of the big three german filter makers when it comes to fuel filters. Anymore, though, I tend to put MANN at a 9 out of 10, with the other two being 10. I don't like the fact that their BMW filters are made in Mexico now.

All OE filters i've bought for my german cars are made by Mann. So i've switched to Mann in all of them. No issues.
Not twisted, bent or crushed ever.

I've used them all (MANN, Mahle, Hengst) in MB and BMW... their all excellent and quality is comparable to the best spin-ons. No reason to by US, unless you want to spend more money.

I prefer the Hengst filters... They seem to be a little higher quality than Mann.

That said, there's a K&N oil filter in my M54 now, we'll see how it does. I'm not expecting anything eventful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I prefer the Hengst filters... They seem to be a little higher quality than Mann.

That said, there's a K&N oil filter in my M54 now, we'll see how it does. I'm not expecting anything eventful.

I definitely prefer Hengst and Mahle over Mann. For this car, at least. The Mahle/Knecht filter seemed to be the best of the three, so I bought a few of them when I was ordering some other parts. I might try the Hengst next, if I don't go with the WIX.

I read a few disturbing things about how well the WIX XP filters actually filter the oil. That they're mainly made for an extended drain so that they won't clog. I'm totally fine with spending $4-$5 per filter, and changing it out in the middle of the change vs going 10k with the WIX if it doesn't filter as well. Changing the filter is pretty easy on BMWs, which I guess is the trade-off for the oil filter housing gaskets always leaking.

Is the K&N supposed to be better than the German OEMs, or did you just want to try something different?

Last edited:
Is the K&N supposed to be better than the German OEMs, or did you just want to try something different?

I was at Walmart and it was on sale for like $3 so I bought the one they had and figured I'd give it a go. The media is a pretty red color too lol.

Or was, I should say, it's been about a thousand miles since install.

Last edited:
I read a few disturbing things about how well the WIX XP filters actually filter the oil. That they're mainly made for an extended drain so that they won't clog. I'm totally fine with spending $4-$5 per filter, and changing it out in the middle of the change vs going 10k with the WIX if it doesn't filter as well. Changing the filter is pretty easy on BMWs, which I guess is the trade-off for the oil filter housing gaskets always leaking.

Have you ever seen published filtering specs for any of the German filters? If you're condemning the Wix, to what are you making the comparison?

I've always used Mann filters on my BMW and VW. They always come out looking like new after. Never any tearing or waviness. Hard to see how there could be an improvement on them (other than price).

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Have you ever seen published filtering specs for any of the German filters? If you're condemning the Wix, to what are you making the comparison?

I'm not condemning the WIX XP filter. I'm the one who started this thread because I thought the WIX XP filter could be better. But I looked through a thread on here in which a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well, because it's made for an extended drain.

I would guess that the standard cellulose WIX filter for this car works exactly the same as the three cellulose OEMs. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I was hoping for a synthetic filter that does a better job of filtering, for longer, and doesn't clog up as quickly. It looks like the XP filters for longer and doesn't clog up, but does a poor job of filtering compared to the standard/cellulose WIX or the three OEMs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryanm8
I've always used Mann filters on my BMW and VW. They always come out looking like new after. Never any tearing or waviness. Hard to see how there could be an improvement on them (other than price).

Exactly. I wonder how long these can be run in a clean engine. Extending would make the price more reasonable

But to be fair, they are 10,000 mile plus filters depending on the vehicle and in Europe I think they would be 20,000 mile filters in some cases.

I'm not condemning the WIX XP filter. I'm the one who started this thread because I thought the WIX XP filter could be better. But I looked through a thread on here in which a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well, because it's made for an extended drain.

I would guess that the standard cellulose WIX filter for this car works exactly the same as the three cellulose OEMs. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I was hoping for a synthetic filter that does a better job of filtering, for longer, and doesn't clog up as quickly. It looks like the XP filters for longer and doesn't clog up, but does a poor job of filtering compared to the standard/cellulose WIX or the three OEMs.

So people on here have posted private correspondence with Wix where the company said their XP filters don't "filter very well" and it is because they are intended for extended drains? I'd love to see links to that thread.

And the second part, how are you making that determination? Again - where have you seen published filtration efficiencies for the German filters?

So people on here have posted private correspondence with Wix where the company said their XP filters don't "filter very well" and it is because they are intended for extended drains? I'd love to see links to that thread.

And the second part, how are you making that determination? Again - where have you seen published filtration efficiencies for the German filters?

I'm not quite sure why you're getting so passionate about this, especially since you're the one who originally said that there isn't any reason to use anything other than the OEM Hengst from the dealer. (There is a reason to get them elsewhere. You can get these filters for ~$5 online. Shipping doesn't matter if you add them to the cart when purchasing parts. Or, if you want to order a bunch, FCP has free shipping over $50.) I would agree that the OEM filters are probably perfectly fine. My dealer uses BMW branded Mann filters, for whatever that's worth.

Here's the thread that talks about the efficiency of the WIX XP line of filters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3527117/1

Like I said before, I'm basing the filtering ability of the three OEMs on the fact that they're high quality cellulose filter. I have no idea what Mann, Mahle or Hengst have to say about them. Maybe we, or I, should contact them? I'm assuming they're comparable to WIX cellulose filters. I don't know why you think I'm holding so firm to that ida. That's why I made this thread; I don't know. If the WIX XP is a highly superior filter, I would imagine it's worth $10 instead of $5.

I'm not quite sure why you're getting so passionate about this, especially since you're the one who originally said that there isn't any reason to use anything other than the OEM Hengst from the dealer.

Passionate? I was merely asking where you got the data to support the statements you made. That's all.

Here's the thread that talks about the efficiency of the WIX XP line of filters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3527117/1

BINGO

I'm not really sure what is "bingo" in that thread, I read it all the way through and did not see where " a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well", I saw one poster where he said that he had a phone conversation. Yet no numbers were given, so my original question still stands as to how a comparison is being made to the German filters. If no numbers are given on either side how do you know anything about any of the filters?

This isn't a "support Wix" thread nor comment. You probably won't believe me but as far as I know I've never used a Wix filter on any of my cars. It has always been OEM for the most part, except for when something "better" is on sale such as when M1 filters were available for $3.99 at Farm & Fleet. So don't take my comments as being in support of Wix.

It's just another case of comparisons being made and conclusions drawn with no data (IMO). The OP's original question was "I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters" and so far I haven't seen any way to make that determination.

Why not run the Hengst for 10k? I do in my wagon, two OCIs with conventional oil.

Like someone else said, nothing to improve upon with those filters other than local availability (IMHO)... because price-wise their on-par with spin-ons.

I'm not really sure what is "bingo" in that thread, I read it all the way through and did not see where " a few people contacted WIX and were told that the XP synthetic filter doesn't filter very well", I saw one poster where he said that he had a phone conversation. Yet no numbers were given, so my original question still stands as to how a comparison is being made to the German filters. If no numbers are given on either side how do you know anything about any of the filters?

This isn't a "support Wix" thread nor comment. You probably won't believe me but as far as I know I've never used a Wix filter on any of my cars. It has always been OEM for the most part, except for when something "better" is on sale such as when M1 filters were available for $3.99 at Farm & Fleet. So don't take my comments as being in support of Wix.

It's just another case of comparisons being made and conclusions drawn with no data (IMO). The OP's original question was "I've been looking around to see if there's anything superior to the OEM BMW filters" and so far I haven't seen any way to make that determination.

It might not have been your intention at all to come off as aggressive, but I very clearly said "I guess" when I was talking about the filtering ability of the OEM filter competed to regular WIX compared to WIX XP. Then you asked for proof of something that I said I was guessing. No hard feelings if you just didn't mean to come off that way. There was quite a bit of info in that WIX XP thread, but I don't know how much of it is true. I doubt the people were lying, though.

In the end, I'm pretty comfortable with the OEM filters. A better filter for ~$10-$15, depending on how much better it is, would be nice, though.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Why not run the Hengst for 10k? I do in my wagon, two OCIs with conventional oil.

Like someone else said, nothing to improve upon with those filters other than local availability (IMHO)... because price-wise their on-par with spin-ons.

What kind of BMW wagon/engine? By two OCIs do you mean you're changing the oil at 5k and the filter at 10k? What kind of conventional oil are you using, brand/weight? Is it doing well with 5k conventional OCIs? Clean under the valve cover? (Sorry for all the questions.) If so, that's a pretty good note for the OEM filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back