Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30 - Synthetic or not?

Hi Guys,

I have been running the car on the oil from the container on the left (100% Synthetic). Today a new container arrived from a different supplier and what a surprise - is this the same oil? I can't find anything on the web that there are more than one product in Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30 line, so the question is - are these the same oils?

Good idea, I will do that. I was going to post the photo on their FaceTube page.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just looks like an old label vs new
I'm using the 0w20 and it matches your left label

Where I think the OP is going with this is that in some countries there is a big difference in oil base between oils labeled as 100% synthetic and synthetic technology.

Thanks- I didn't really catch that and now I get what he is after.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just looks like an old label vs new
I'm using the 0w20 and it matches your left label

Where I think the OP is going with this is that in some countries there is a big difference in oil base between oils labeled as 100% synthetic and synthetic technology.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Full Synthetic is Group IV

Synthetic Technology is Group III

Would that suggest these are actually different oils or the earlier label does not describe the product correctly?

They told me a few years back via email it was group III
The 0w20 actually says " Synthetic Fuel Economy" on the label

Originally Posted By: Seweryn
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Full Synthetic is Group IV

Synthetic Technology is Group III

Would that suggest these are actually different oils or the earlier label does not describe the product correctly?

the back bottle.
the Fuel economy version may meet different specifications, whether manufacturer and/or ACEA. (like lower HTHS)

BMW LL01 approval is gone on the new oil, so is the GM one... inferior product, or just harder to achieve LL01 (like M1 0W40 FS) ?

Total used to be very clear, synthetic technology or full synthetic, noticed the two products on their website :

http://www.total.fr/mon-vehicule/tout-sa...ergy-0w-30.html

http://www.total.fr/mon-vehicule/tout-sa...9000-0w-30.html

Interestingly their "Energy" oil isn't advertised as 100% synthetic. in the past/usually "Energy" rated oils were better than "non Energy" oils, for example Quartz 9000 5W40 is MB229.3, Quartz 9000 5W40 Energy is MB 229.5.

Edit : I think the "non Energy" 0W30 is wrongly labelled as ACEA A5 instead of A3/B4 on the website.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
BMW LL01 approval is gone on the new oil, so is the GM one... inferior product, or just harder to achieve LL01 (like M1 0W40 FS) ?

Total used to be very clear, synthetic technology or full synthetic, noticed the two products on their website :

http://www.total.fr/mon-vehicule/tout-sa...ergy-0w-30.html

http://www.total.fr/mon-vehicule/tout-sa...9000-0w-30.html

Interestingly their "Energy" oil isn't advertised as 100% synthetic. in the past/usually "Energy" rated oils were better than "non Energy" oils, for example Quartz 9000 5W40 is MB229.3, Quartz 9000 5W40 Energy is MB 229.5.

Edit : I think the "non Energy" 0W30 is wrongly labelled as ACEA A5 instead of A3/B4 on the website.

And strangely both oils have the same viscosity, etc.

Did you by chance buy this oil online from Opieoil ?

Edit : also noticed in the "literature" the "withstands very high temperatures, suitable for hard driving or racing" is replaced by "Excellent performances at high and low temperatures"
frown.gif

Last edited:
I was going to post the photo on their FaceTube page.

Is FaceTube an Irish thing?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

I think it's similar to YouBook. :)

Did you by chance buy this oil online from Opieoil ?

No, it was from a local small online store.

Edit : also noticed in the "literature" the "withstands very high temperatures, suitable for hard driving or racing" is replaced by "Excellent performances at high and low temperatures"
frown.gif

Yeah, I noticed that. Interesting...

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Not really
smile.gif
. It's how I call the online InterFace
wink.gif

Back