Brand new Focus ST...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 ST, changed the factory fill out at 1500 miles-and It doesn't matter when you change it. I have Redline in it now and mix 3 qts of 5W30 and 3 qts of 5W40 with an Amsoil EA034 filter so a full 6 quarts fits in instead of the 5.7 with the factory filter. Also, ignore the factory oil gauge - it will scare the [censored] out of you. When the oil is hot and its idling, it will read bout 7 lbs of pressure, and won't go over 35lbs cruising at 75mph. The only time it will go past 50lbs is when you hit over 5000rpms and at startup.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
This is what Ford reccomends :
Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP
Recommended motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
CXO-5W30-LSP12
Recommended motor oil (Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
MXO-5W30-QSP
Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QFS
Optional motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
CXO-5W30-LFS12
Engine coolant (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M97B44-D2
Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted
VC-3DIL-B

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_08_2015.pdf

Thanks. PU 5w30 would be another good choice.

DP:
I love PU but isn't the 5w30 on the thinner side of the grade....like 9.9 Cst @ 100*C? I wonder if it's stout enough for a turbo?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Look at what they are using in Europe and the rest of the world and use that. Often North America gets its own CAFE oil specs that focus more on fuel economy.

Also look at the severe use spec and see what that specs out.

In Europe and here in the Antipodes, WSS M2C 913 5w30 has been the spec for Ecoboost Petrol and Duratec Diesel for a while. This is full SAPS A5/B5. 913 has been superseded by M2C 948B 5w20 for Ecoboost and M2C 950A 0w30 mid SAPS (SA 0.8) for diesel. In NA I think they spec CJ-4 5w40 for Duratecs, the 5 cylinder anyway.

Out of warranty or track use Id be using M2C 937A 0w40 which was a revision/upgrade for the older 2.5 turbo Volvo motor. I believe this carries over to the Focus RS 2.3L Ecoboost also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
I love PU but isn't the 5w30 on the thinner side of the grade....like 9.9 Cst @ 100*C? I wonder if it's stout enough for a turbo?

It still will have the HTHS of just about any other ILSAC 5w-30 out there, so if the others are good enough, so is PU. All the ILSAC 5w-30 varieties are on the thinner side of the grade.

I think I'll go with M1 0W 40- is this oil similar to GC? I ask this because my LS1 liked that oil a lot and now that is it no longer available, would this be a good option for both of these cars? Is it a group 3 oil?

What is the taller filter for the focus st engine?

Last edited:
[/quote]
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I wouldn't trust a Ford iOlm... many reports of it happily letting folks motor along to 20,000 miles or so... particularly on Focus and Fiesta IIRC.

+1. And to the poster to provide links, I can vouch for this being true since I own one. OLM went off once in 24k. The first time was around 10-11k. Still waiting for the second one to pop after I reset it.

There's a lot of UOAs on the 2.0 ecoboost. I do 5k or 6 months, whatever comes first.

5-6k seems good with this engine if you do mixed driving.

I use Castrol Edge gold bottle 5w30

Will probably get stoned for saying this, but I just got a FiST two weeks ago and I dumped ff at 200 miles. I read this on a FiST forum and it advised 100 miles. Went 100 miles more, but figured it didn't hurt to try it. Will probably change it again at 1000-1500 miles then either take it to the dealer for its free 5k miles oil change or do it myself and then stick to a 5k/6 mon oci from there. I'm waiting for people to call me crazy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back