Best Oils for Direct Injection & Turbo Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried my "Google Foo Techniques" to search for this question but my results were less than optimum.

My Wife's new car, a 2016 Chevy Malibu has a 1.5 liter turbo/direct injection engine. I have heard some chatter on this forum in the past that some oils or oil formulations might be better than others when it comes to preventing deposits.

This car requires a 5W-30 DEXOS certified oil. I will look for that specification as well as HTO-06 spec when choosing something for the next OCI.

Is there any oils that I should take a long hard look at? Any additive packages that I should steer clear of to keep deposits at a minimum?

I've done an oil change with PPPP and mobil1 AFE so far on my non turbo but DI malibu and mine is doing good so far with 16k.

M1 5-30 was the oil first certified by Honda HTO-06, which is a high temp low deposit spec. It is also Dexos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
TIG1: is M1 0w20 AFE dexos2 approved?

0W-20 isn't specified for this application.

So to put this back on track. What oils (or additive packages) deposit the least amount of crud in the engines of direct injection engines?

Originally Posted By: car51
TIG1: is M1 0w20 AFE dexos2 approved?
Dexos 2 is for diesel engines-in this application, high calcium levels are contraindicated-that is, bad. Calcium allegedly seems to cause low RPM preignition issues (LSPI).

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-30 was the oil first certified by Honda HTO-06, which is a high temp low deposit spec. It is also Dexos.

I'm going with M1 5W30 for the first official change in my wife's new Optima 2.0L SXL. UOA is in the works after break in.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
So to put this back on track. What oils (or additive packages) deposit the least amount of crud in the engines of direct injection engines?

I don't think anyone here can answer that question. Engine dis-assembly and analysis is required to determine the results.
What I can tell you, is that if the oil meets the spec (OEM's spend millions on durability testing) you're good to go.

Dont you get the first 4 oil changes free? I did on my 2015 Trax, now looking for the first oil change I'm going to do myself, but honestly, if its Dexos approved, I dont care which it is.

I've used both Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 in my Trax. it's a 1.4L turbo, not direct injection though.

I would and will use any dexos 1 oil I can find on sale, without even a second thought really.

I would use Mobil 1 5w-30. It carries Dexos as well as HTO-06 certifications. Been using since 1st oil change on 12 Cruze with 1.4 Turbo. Have followed oil life monitor which indicates oil change between 9-10K miles. Just be sure to check oil level often on long OCI. I have had no issues and haven't had to add oil yet during an interval.

If I'm not mistaken, The crud in DI engines is buildup on intake valves. So it comes primarily from egr gas. I don't think the oil type will affect the composition or accumulation of egr gas nor can it wash away the carbon because it doesn't come in contact. Now your turbo maybe a different matter.

I run Magnatec in my wife's Ecoboost Escape(DI and Turbo). Seems to be a good fit. The 5W20 is full-synthetic where the 5W30 is a blend.

I have a Taurus SHO with Ford's 3.5 L Ecoboost. It's also brand new, and I was going thru the same decision making process.

I was interested in Valvoline SynPower, but even though it meets Ford's -946A spec, I also wanted the HTO-06 spec listed. Maybe the marketers have gotten to me also, but it makes me feel better knowing that a particular spec is designed around turbo engines.

I emailed Valvoline, and they repsponded that their SynPower does in fact meet and exceed the HTO-06 spec requirements, even though it isn't listed on their label. No, I didn't reply back asking why it isn't, or when/if they plan on listing it. I'm thinking that the labels will be changing soon with the new oil classifications coming out anyway, so maybe they're thinking why bother changing the current ones. Either way, I'm satisfied.

Z-

The primary issue with Ford's 2.0T is intake valve crud from the PCV. Logic tells me that you'd want an oil that is most resistant to burning onto the valve when it enters the intake.

Wouldn't an oil from Redline be best for this if you're looking for the ultimate prevention? Or is there nothing that can resist that level of heat?

I've been rotating between PP, Mobil1 and Valvoline Synpower in my Focus ST but I haven't checked my valves so I don't know how well / terrible they're performing.

Pennz Platinum 5w30, end of story!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back