M1 ep vs Amsoil SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Looking to extend on my wife's 12' 4cly Malibu. Obviously things need to be finalized via uoa, but what's the consensus on the longer lasting oil. 5w30ep or 0w30ss. Car is driven 40 miles a day on 55mph 2 lane roads...hoping to maybe run 20k per change if possible.

Try 10,000 with which ever oils marketing works best for you then do a uoa .

Hey doublehaul is that a turbo 1.5L motor??

If it were me I would just roll with the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. Easily sourced and can be had for a decent price. Nothing wrong with Amsoil at all. It is a very good oil. Just the price is a bit high I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey doublehaul is that a turbo 1.5L motor??

If it were me I would just roll with the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. Easily sourced and can be had for a decent price. Nothing wrong with Amsoil at all. It is a very good oil. Just the price is a bit high I think.

No the 12 malibu's have the 2.4L ecotec

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
I'd much prefer the Mobil but with that 25k claim by Amsoil I wondered if it was more robust
UP !!!!!!! SERVICE LIFE

Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.
Amsoil Signature Series

20,000 oil change intervals!?

40 miles a day isn't that much. At 40 miles a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, that's 14,560 miles a year. Less than the national average.

And since you live in "extreme cold" I don't know why you'd want to extend the interval on this car. Also since this engine is known for timing chain issues.

Well...it sees a fair amount of longer distance trips too...car gets about 20k,per year on the clock. I wasn't aware of any chain issues in the 2.4...thought they were a pretty solid power plant and easy on oil...is this not so?

Ok it looks like the timing chain issues were in fact a problem with the tensioner design. This was a fairly common problem but the troublesome part was replaced with an updated part in 2009-10 or so...looks,like we are ok there.

Ahh all righty then. Thanks gabriel9766. I just had a rental Malibu 2016 1.5 version. It did all right but the nanny computer seemed to actually hold back the performance a bit.

+1
What is that fill? Maybe 4 qts or a tad more ($22 jug)
10k max on the basic M1 ... FU filter since you already like them ... (Me too)

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ahh all righty then. Thanks gabriel9766. I just had a rental Malibu 2016 1.5 version. It did all right but the nanny computer seemed to actually hold back the performance a bit.

the new malibu's actually have less power than the last generation Malibu's like mine.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Hey guys,

Looking to extend on my wife's 12' 4cly Malibu. Obviously things need to be finalized via uoa, but what's the consensus on the longer lasting oil. 5w30ep or 0w30ss. Car is driven 40 miles a day on 55mph 2 lane roads...hoping to maybe run 20k per change if possible.

IMO the SS is the better choice for 20k...as always, only extend with UOA. Be sure to have a filter worthy of the distance.

A friend did and still does 15-17K OCIs on his old Ford Windstar. When sold the car had 185k and runnin strong. He now has a 2007 Dodge van with 125K and it's fine. Oil used: M1 5-30EP.

Last edited:
With the rebates & deals available on M1 EP & Ultra (or eBay Fram Pro Synthetic) filters, why not do 15K & confirm via UOA that it can take it? Then, if the numbers & filter are good, go for 20K/1 year.

I would suggest, with either oil, go about 15k then get a UOA.

I know in my part of the country, just about everyone falls into the severe service category. Cold winters, idling to defrost windshields, and the fuel dilution that comes along with it.
I am an Amsoil dealer, and tell my customers 15k or 1 year in our climate.
I guess if you had a sales job or something like that and 90%+ of your driving was highway, you could probably go 25k without issue.

I have used both, I would suggest start with the M1 first and with UOA see how far it will run. Then run the SS and do the same with an Ultra,FPS filters or Amsoil filters. Pretty sure the SS will run longer but with the cost is it worth it. You will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back