Want someone to do my valve adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need someone to do my valve adjustment on Honda Odyssey V6 engine. I'm not doing this by myself for the first time. The reason I don't want to take it mechanic shop is because they alway come up with [censored] stuffs and I can't trust them. Anyone on here that live closer to the horn lake,MS? I will pay if someone do valve adjustment.

Find a good machine shop (engine shop) they do this all the time and they are usually honest.. Where do you live maybe i can ask around i had an engine shop for years and may be able to find a good shop for you.
I dont know what year but be careful not to let your belt snap

Find a tuner shop that is a Honda or JDM specialty store. Get them to install titanium valve springs while they are at it. Also get a feel for a tech and stick with one guy. I did that at Quicklane on my Hyundai and had only one guy touch it ever. I bought him Cognac every year for his service. He said he missed that car. I made him own that car like it was his and he used to vacuum it out and wash it because he took pride in his work. He always wanted to buy car because he did all the work. It died at 199930 mi ,cat clogged lol. If your having valves done,inquire about aftermarket just to see what they think...I would

There's cyclinder machine shop here and all he care about is money price is too much for me. I did talk to other guy and this guy work on Diesel engines and I don't know him that well. He told me he can do it and price seem good to me. Should I let him do it?

Last edited:
Do yourself a big favor and take it to the dealer. These are not the easiest engine to do this adjustment on, the plug tube seals should be replaced along with the VC and plenum gaskets/seals.
Forget titanium springs or keepers, there is no justifiable reason whatsoever for doing this sort of work on everyday engines,
Not every dealer is a crook, they have the experience with the engine and OE parts and updates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Do yourself a big favor and take it to the dealer. These are not the easiest engine to do this adjustment on, the plug tube seals should be replaced along with the VC and plenum gaskets/seals.
Forget titanium springs or keepers, there is no justifiable reason whatsoever for doing this sort of work on everyday engines,
Not every dealer is a crook, they have the experience with the engine and OE parts and updates.

thumbsup2.gif
Great advice here! ^^^

Also, the dealer is more accountable for their work than a small shop or individual.

Transverse V6 engines are a pain to work on the rear cylinder bank.

Find another dealer. This job pays about 5.5 hours, $750 would be in the park inc parts but not more.
It sounds like they are including a new timing belt and components, that would be about that price.
How many miles on this vehicle and how many on the belt, what year is it?

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I need someone to do my valve adjustment on Honda Odyssey V6 engine. I'm not doing this by myself for the first time. The reason I don't want to take it mechanic shop is because they alway come up with [censored] stuffs and I can't trust them. Anyone on here that live closer to the horn lake,MS? I will pay if someone do valve adjustment.

You need to build a lasting relationship with an established shop in your area. They are around. Why would you would trust any schmuck who comes along, who you do not know, looking for beer money to work on your car???

At 120,000 highway miles on my 2006 Odyssey, I went into a Honda dealership I have a good history with to have new timing belt installed. I decided to do the expensive valve adjustment too, since we will keep the van very long term. Amazingly, the dealership declined to do it. Their lead mechanic came out and told me the van was in great condition, and the service was simply unneeded. I told him I wanted to get 300,000 miles out of the van, and he insisted I would, as is.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
At 120,000 highway miles on my 2006 Odyssey

120K timing belt yes valve adjustment no on that engine. Do it at the next timing belt change (200K) then never again.
The best thing you can do for that vehicle is keep the PCV valve changed every 30K and change the oil and service the transmission religiously.

And thankfully, its the EX model with a non-VCM 3.5.

I service the trans every 40,000 and oil is changed at 5000 mile intervals. Usually it has 40% remaining on the OLM.

OP has over 400K miles on the engine. There are tests that can be run on the engine to know if the valves are tight. I recall Odyclub had a member who explained how to do that. If the valves are loose, you can hear them but those are benign and don't lead to expensive engine damage.

Personally, unless I have en-resolved misfire code, I would not bother with valve adjustment on this engine. Too many Odysseys have been retired without ever doing valve jobs and had multiple hundred thousand miles on them.

I like the work the Honda dealer does here. I didn't do the expensive maintenance packages they offer at 15k, 30k etc. Just have them do the work that's needed and they are competitive. I never felt scammed by them. When I went to sell the car at almost 170k I had them do an inspection so the buyer could have some piece of mind. The only thing they found was a rear taillight that was out which I knew about. No charge for it, they put the inspection in writing and also did a free oil change, left the old oil filter in. The oil was getting a little dark since it was coming do for a change. The buyer who was a Honda guy checked the oil level when looking at it.

I'd also use an oem pcv valve. They should be around $12 at the most.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP has over 400K miles on the engine. There are tests that can be run on the engine to know if the valves are tight. I recall Odyclub had a member who explained how to do that. If the valves are loose, you can hear them but those are benign and don't lead to expensive engine damage.

Personally, unless I have en-resolved misfire code, I would not bother with valve adjustment on this engine. Too many Odysseys have been retired without ever doing valve jobs and had multiple hundred thousand miles on them.

Where does he say he has over 400K on it?

He did not get paid enough he just did not want to do it.. A good engine shop is the best place to go. They do this all the time on those engines.. Lots of those engines around and lots of them being rebuilt because when the timing belt breaks so does the engine..

Trav, Vikas is right about that many miles on my van. I do not have any codes at this time.

Vikas you don't think I needed a valve adjustment at that many mileage?

$1400 does not included timing belt install.

I'm going to let someone hear my van and tell me if I have any noisy valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back