It's the most moronic idiotic thing I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
People constantly staring at these stupid smartphones. Young couples in nice restaurants looking at their phones and not talking to each other. Old people too. Zombies. I'd rather look at the hottie sitting across from me, not a phone. But that's just me.

Some snot nosed imp totalled my car because of this.

How bad is it going to get before it goes out of vogue?

I agree with turtlevette. totally, as I don't even have a smartphone, BUT, I think people said the same about TV when it became popular, and probably radio and regular phones also. The big difference is in my humble opinion, is that those things you had to go home to use. Except of course boomboxes, and before that, little transistor radios. But those you only listened to, didn't need your eyes glued to it. I know I am old, and set in my ways, (but then I am on this computer ) but it is a desktop! But this smartphone thing is getting downright dangerous.

I'm with you. I don't own one. I have to regularly remind people to "LOOK UP!" before they run into me, turn in front of my bicycle, etc. Clueless!

People watching has turned into watching people, watch their screen....always.

Welcome to the age of digital crack addiction!

there was a bad single vehicle wreck yesterday a couple miles from my house, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if smart phone distracted driving was at fault.(no cause has been stated,just my personal bias/opinion about teens and smartphones)

6 local HS sophmores in a 2002 Ram 1500.(apparently no one riding in the bed, but some folks i've talked to that went by the scene said it was a single cab)
1 dead, 5 injured(some seriously) driver among the injured.(now 2 dead)
they had just left football practice( 5 players and someones girlfriend), and some how went off the right side of the road, hit the ditch, went airborne, then hit a fence and a tree, before overturning. all 6 were ejected.

I am a "millenial." I have a smartphone, and sometimes I even read or send texts while walking down the sidewalk!

But never while driving, and if there are people walking toward me, I look up at them. And I never go on Facebook or read the Internet or whatever unless I'm seated. And when at restaurants, the phone stays in the pocket.

Smartphones are really useful tools - many people are just too addicted to them.

Look again, old man. My wife and I are only ever on our phones during a date when it's needed to keep the little guy entertained, find our next to-do or catch up on life after a busy day. That's us. I guess I have to concede that I too see a lot of people literally staring at their phones for lack of anything better to do...like catch up or talk to each other.

My point: look a little closer. It's a bold new world?

Further concessions: our Subaru is in the shop after some 17 yo ran a red light and hit my wife. Was he trying to catch a Char zar (sp)? Who knows. My wife text me at work saying that he was yelling at her. By the time I arrived he was crying. People had literally driven by and told him he was an idiot.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Further concessions: our Subaru is in the shop after some 17 yo ran a red light and hit my wife. Was he trying to catch a Char zar (sp)? Who knows. My wife text me at work saying that he was yelling at her. By the time I arrived he was crying. People had literally driven by and told him he was an idiot.

Did the cop put anything in his report about it? The guy that hit me said he didn't see the stop sign. Or apparently the warning stop ahead sign or apparently the big bright LED sign he was headed for.

Courts are starting to award punitive damages for texting. Treble damages (triple).

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Did the cop put anything in his report about it? The guy that hit me said he didn't see the stop sign. Or apparently the warning stop ahead sign or apparently the big bright LED sign he was headed for.

They are starting to award punitive damages for texting. Treble damages (triple).

All of the witnesses had left by the time I arrived. He female police officer matter-of-factly said she got everything, with the tone saying she was taking everything about the 17 yo being at-fault into log. As of today, she still hasn't filed the freaking report. It's enough to drive me bonkers.

261759_10201526065860542_1313897507_n1.jpg

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Courts are starting to award punitive damages for texting. Treble damages (triple).

That does you no good if the dude is a turnip.

Growing problem in teaching, at least for me, and a big part of my lesson-planning threat assessment.

Ask them a question, they go for the smartphone.Smart phone, stupid student.

I've toyed with the idea of banning them entirely but that's a pretty direct confrontation with local yoof culture and so far I've chickened out.

Of course I ban them in exams and this year failed 2 students for use in the finals, though its very likely I missed some.

This is a first and the school don't like it. Tough.

Being a 1946 child, I have seen a lot of changes. We got our first cellphone in the 90s I think, lol. Before cellphones,folks read the newspapers at supper in restaurants and such and what is so enticing that we cant wait to get on the darn thing....Since books have become obsolete, sort of, you can pack a lot of books in your phone or Ipad....

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Growing problem in teaching, at least for me, and a big part of my lesson-planning threat assessment.

Ask them a question, they go for the smartphone.Smart phone, stupid student.

I've toyed with the idea of banning them entirely but that's a pretty direct confrontation with local yoof culture and so far I've chickened out.

Of course I ban them in exams and this year failed 2 students for use in the finals, though its very likely I missed some.

This is a first and the school don't like it. Tough.

Maybe, maybe not. Even nukes play wiki-clicki

You have to get out more. I've see many things that are more moronic and / or idiotic.

For instance, I saw a guy driving while eating a bowl of breakfast cereal, with milk, with a spoon.

I also saw a guy driving with an 8' couch on the roof of a Civic Wagon, with a guy sitting on the couch.

Playing with a phone won't even get you into the quarter-finals around here
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
261759_10201526065860542_1313897507_n1.jpg

And you believe Einstein actually said this? Guess it's true cause you read it on the Internet.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: milkboy
You have to get out more. I've see many things that are more moronic and / or idiotic.

For instance, I saw a guy driving while eating a bowl of breakfast cereal, with milk, with a spoon.

I also saw a guy driving with an 8' couch on the roof of a Civic Wagon, with a guy sitting on the couch.

Playing with a phone won't even get you into the quarter-finals around here
laugh.gif

Once saw a guy driving with a newspapers draped over his steering wheel while driving past Miramar. I passed and asked [censored] and he nearly ran himself off the road. Not enough hands to hold the wheel, the paper AND flip me off at the same time. I have never, ever seen something so ridiculous in my entire life. Picture in your head what I typed, literally, and you've got it; it was that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back