Nissan power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I just adopted a 2010 Nissan Murano with 80K to the stable. The power steering fluid is dark (likely original) and it needs to be flushed out. I don't have the owner's manual, but I understand the fluid specified is "Genuine Nissan power steering fluid or equivalent." I don't want to pay dealer prices for a fluid if it's nothing special. What fluid would be appropriate for this vehicle? I'm a big fan of Valvoline PS fluid.

I have the pdf shop manual and pdf service booklet for the vehicle. You're correct, the maintenance section mentions Dexron VI may also be used for PS fluid. I guess that's the safest fluid to use.

My Infiniti PS system takes either Dexron ATF or Nissan PSF-II. People just use Dexron and don't bother with the Ni$$an fluid.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
When I had a 2007 Frontier, my dealer told me to use Mobil 1 ATF and I did. Never an issue.

NissanMatic D is usually specified for this year of vehicle. NissanMatic D is a Dexron III/Mercon knockoff.

Any Dexron III/Mercon equivalent will work.

They take Dexron. You could put just about any type of ATF in there and make the system last a long time. I prefer to use Dexron VI.

There are a few true PSF fluids like MaxLife, Redline, Valvoline, STech etc,
It takes Dexron but for a $1 more you can get PS fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back