A new mitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I used to use a synthetic wool mitt. I have since used sponges and a cotton mitt and a microfiber with 'dreadlocks'.

I maybe looking to get a new one as I might wash a really dirty car that may 'flatten' the two I have.

What do you use and recommend to dip in the bucket o' suds and wipe the car with?
I'm guessing either the auto parts stores or walmart will need to have it, but we have a paint supply shop but I try to stay away from there.
thx

I use a cotton mitt as well. After I wash the vehicle, I wash the mitt with a few drops of Dawn liquid, rinse, and air dry. Mine flattens out a bit after it dries, but seems to rejuvenate once it is wet again.

I use cotton as well and have had better luck than with the synthetic wool I've used in years past. I run mine through the washing machine and dryer and it comes out like new all fluffed back up.

I'm not a fan of wash "mitts" - I prefer to use standard wash "pads". I use this exact pad when I wash my 2010 Fusion:

Carrand Chenille wash pad

Works great. Has lots of those soft microfiber "fingers" on the one side, and an effective textured bug-removal material on the back side, that also makes it easy to hold on to. It's also not to thick and bulky, so my hands don't get tired while holding on to it for the whole wash.

As a bonus, it's less than $8 and it has lasted me well over a year without tearing, wearing out, or falling apart. I make sure I rinse it thoroughly after each wash, and occasionally wash it with my microfiber towels every so often.

THE tool the pros use is a wide horsehair brush. The washing soap flows and there's minimized chance of paint scratching.

The chenille mitt or cloth ain't bad.

Boars hair brushes are top notch. I have not seen a horse hair brush for washing a car but I would think they would work too. I think they are more for leather cleaning, vacuum brushes and detail brushes.

Last edited:
Oh, it may very well be boar. I didn't check.

Since I'm such a pill to buy presents for someone overheard me mention the fact that a detailer's box is full of brushes.

Next birthday I was given TOP DRAWER brushes. Things I'd never buy for myself (one big element of a good gift).

The brush has a serial number for Heaven's sake.

I've been using genuine sheepskin mitts for many years and they seem to work extremely well. They pick up dirt and hold it while not grinding it into the paint. I'm sure the boar's hair brushes work just as well or maybe better but I've never tried one.

The most important thing is to use a grit guard and use the two bucket method. The one thing I would not use is a sponge as it has very few places for crud to go, and ends up just being ground against the paint causing scratches.

I have a microfiber mitt that has worked very well. The boar brush works well, but it is best to soak them good before using them. The hairs will also soften as they break in with age....I know because I use them as shaving brushes and they are softer when soaked and broken in. When new I would make sure to use with a very light touch.

Thanks Chris B. i think this was my first time putting mitts in the washer, but its not flat anymore!

Here are the two Ive been using. The white cotton/chenille for waist up and the blue microfiber for lower panelling.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Thanks Chris B. i think this was my first time putting mitts in the washer, but its not flat anymore!

Here are the two Ive been using. The white cotton/chenille for waist up and the blue microfiber for lower panelling.

NICE! Glad it worked for you!

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chenille_Microfiber_Scratch_Free_Wash_Mitt_p/mic_493.htm
I had one like this forever but no idea where it came from. Replaced it with this one last time I was at the chemical guys store. Pretty cheap and works nicely. I also have a different style microfiber mitt and a sponge with microfiber on one side, and bug screen on the other. I don't use that much since I learned about a bug sponge, and use that for bug guts. By the way, those are awesome. No scratching when used properly and get the bug leftovers off much easier.

Last edited:
Dug up this older thread as I'm trying to get back to washing the car myself and need to order some new supplies.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

As a bonus, it's less than $8

That one is currently closer to $13, but I found this one which looks very similar for $8.

Alternatively, I might get this Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt or this Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber mitt.

Any of you guys used any of these to help me choose? If not, I might just get all 3.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dug up this older thread as I'm trying to get back to washing the car myself and need to order some new supplies.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

As a bonus, it's less than $8

That one is currently closer to $13, but I found this one which looks very similar for $8.

Alternatively, I might get this Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt or this Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber mitt.

Any of you guys used any of these to help me choose? If not, I might just get all 3.
smile.gif

I'm a big fan of the Microfiber Chenille mits, I've been using them for years. This one is one I just purchased to replace my old one. Super soft and holds plenty of soap and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back