AC Delco UPF48R

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past year I've been using the AC Delco PF48E filters on my 10 Camaro SS but I've been hearing some bad stories about the E Cores.

Anyway there's the UPF48R I've been reading about that is not E Core and they are like $6 on Rock Auto which is pretty sweet

I do drag race the car every couple weekends so I want something that can handle that as well as a daily driver

Anyone have any experience with UPF48R? Is it any good?

I just run a Royal Purple 10-48 and call it a day only filter I use now on my 6.0l 2500HD built for what you're looking for.

The ecores were cut apart here on BITOG and found to be satisfactory for the manufacturers OCI or if you follow the computer.

They did improve them after the initial release.

Where did you hear "bad things"?

Originally Posted By: CKN
The ecores were cut apart here on BITOG and found to be satisfactory for the manufacturers OCI or if you follow the computer.

They did improve them after the initial release.

On the Camaro 5 and Corvette Forum everyone has pretty much written off the E Core. Some older posts here have talked down on them here as well. I'm more worried about the racing aspect with it.

However, both times I have removed the filter during my changes they crumpled apart as I spun them off. And that was just after 5,000 miles. That's what's making me second guess them.

Document ID: 4211936
Subject: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel

Models:
2007-2013 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2013 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Savana, Yukon
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
A concern of a P0521 Setting After an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.

Recommendation/Instructions
If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with a UPF48R oil filter if one is available.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I just run a Royal Purple 10-48 and call it a day only filter I use now on my 6.0l 2500HD built for what you're looking for.

Would you recommend the Royal Purple oil as well? I've been using Pennzoil Platinum with no issues so far.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Subject: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel

Models:
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
A concern of a P0521 Setting After an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.

If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with a UPF48R oil filter if one is available.

VERY Interesting. +1000 for this post.

Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3
However, both times I have removed the filter during my changes they crumpled apart as I spun them off. And that was just after 5,000 miles. That's what's making me second guess them.

What do you exactly mean "they crumpled apart as I spun them off"? You saying the can collapsed during removal because they were on too tight?

Did you cut the can open ... if so, what did it look like inside?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

What do you exactly mean "they crumpled apart as I spun them off"? You saying the can collapsed during removal because they were on too tight?

Did you cut the can open ... if so, what did it look like inside?

Could be now that I think about it. They were 2 free dealer changes the first year and I swear they put them on with an impact wrench.

I haven't cut open one yet. I was thinking about cutting the one I have on now when I do my next change.

The UPF48R is a great filter!! it's a wire backed full synthetic media just like the RP and much cheaper, go with that.

I use the UPF52's

Originally Posted By: dave123

Would you recommend the Royal Purple oil as well? I've been using Pennzoil Platinum with no issues so far.

Vanilla RP over PP no.

Do you have room for a larger oil filter? If so how big can you go.
Here is how large I went on my Honda S2000, the blue one is stock and the red one is what I've used for 100k miles.

ROD

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Models:

Condition/Concern

The OP didn't say anything about his vehicle showing this code. He also stated "older posts" on this forum-the old version of the ecore. There have been NEWER POSTS suggesting it is a satisfactory filter for factory OLM.

Last edited:
It's true that the latest iteration of the GM ACDelco ecore uses a separate poppet style bypass, which is an improvement over the previous generation ecores in those applications that used the nitrile combo valve. Older GM had block bypass so that wasn't an issue, however many GM owners still preferred the classic ACDelco with metal endcaps.

I wouldn't/don't find a GM tsb about it's own ACDelco filters to be very encouraging. You can read some thoughts on a the PF48E in the link below*. Might help add information to make an informed decision.

The ACDelco Ultra Gold is very solid filter, and according to the tsb what GM is recommending as an alternative. M1EP or Fram Ultra would also be in the same class but using a silicone adbv.

* ACDelco PF48E Acceptable?

Some of you may remember this. I believe in the mid to late 90's AC Delco started marketing 3 levels of filters, I think they were Gold, Silver, and Bronze. The Gold filter had synthetic media but it was not wire backed, had a thicker can, and based on information provided by AC Delco the filter flowed like crazy and trapped particles down to like 7 micros. They also had silicon ADVs and silicon base gaskets. Bottom line, the filters had exceptional ability to trap and hold junk and flowed like crazy. They were expensive for the time but the AC Delco Gold filters are all I used in the GM vehicles I owned at the time. Probably due to cost the Gold filters did not do well and I learned of a dealership selling all their stock of the Gold filters for $1.00 each and I purchased all they had for my applications. If memory serves me correctly this was in 2002. As a result of this purchase I had AC Delco Gold filters long after the vehicles they were purchased for were no longer in the stable. So what is my point? I think the UPF-52s and UPF-48s are the only descendants of the old AC Delco Gold line. I used the UPF-48 exclusively on a 5.7L Ranier I had from 2004 to 2012 and always loved them. The cans were not as stout as the old AC Delco Golds but I think the guts were the same (not positive about that). If I had an application calling for a PF-52 or PF-48 I would use the UPF-52 or UPF-48 with confidence and without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
Some of you may remember this. I believe in the mid to late 90's AC Delco started marketing 3 levels of filters, I think they were Gold, Silver, and Bronze. The Gold filter had synthetic media but it was not wire backed, had a thicker can ...

I've used the AC Delco Gold synthetic back in the early 2000 time frame and I think they were wire backed. It was one of the best oil filters on the market at that time.

The UPF48R is a 100 percent Mobil 1 filter with a different label. They are not wire backed. However, they are very good filters. I've used them in place of the PF48E after I had startup rattle on my Silverado.

The ACDelco Ultraguard Gold applications used to be noted as a full synthetic media filter. It does appear using google images, that the topic UPF48R is a cellulose blend similar to M1. Perhaps other Ultraguard Gold applications are still full synthetic, not sure.

So, it does appear the UPF48R is very similar to the current M1. The one difference might be, it appears the topic filter uses center tube holes, where typical M1 uses louvers. That strictly for informational purposes, as I'd be equally confident using either. And certainly more so than the equivalent PF48E ecore alternative.

I think all the current UPF48Rs are Mobil 1's from a different production run. Given time they will probably be louvered also. It is the same filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back