Does 3M make anyhing sub-par?

I'm constantly amazed by the quality of anything I use made by the company 3M. Be it earmuffs, adhesives, etc... all always seem to be top-notch quality at a reasonable price.

Have you encountered anything made by 3M that was NOT so good?

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
Yup!

The day 3M decides to cheapen out their stuff, we'll be in trouble, nowhere to turn!!

No, they won't.

3M Paint Defender Spray Film. Don't waste your money.

While I'm sure it is engineered well, it just doesn't work that hot. It definitely isn't a product for the amateur. Overall, I would agree that 3M makes good products. And that is why I tried this product. But I would never, ever, recommend it to anyone. And I've never spoken to anyone else who has tried it and been happy with the results.

Some of their paint polishes and waxes are pretty meh. I know they have better stuff for commercial use in body shops but I'd rather buy Mother's or Meguiars.

Bought some 3M closed cell foam - great quality, peel & stick was solid - and even had that great 3M smell !

Cheap cassette tapes? I remember they used to buy cheap magnetic film from Korea and sell it as their entry level brand.

[Linked Image]

Of course this market is pretty much gone now.

Originally Posted by mjoekingz28
They are pro in the medical field as well.

They ported some of their autobody tech to the dental field. I have a zirconia crown on one of my teeth - my dentist used 3M's impression material and it was dispensed just like their autobody filler/repair materials.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Their earplugs are getting them sued from some vets.

What is the allegation ?

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Some of their paint polishes and waxes are pretty meh. I know they have better stuff for commercial use in body shops but I'd rather buy Mother's or Meguiars.

Professional use, body shops; 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ Rubbing Compound #5983, Perfect-Itâ„¢ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze #5996.

Nothing compares to this system, I have been using it for about 30 years. Anything else is just wasting time and money. There is a reason every professional body shop uses this system. Everything 3M I have used is top notch.

My mom loved their green scotch magic tape and hated the slightly cheaper red scotch not-magic tape. It would peel paint from the wall etc.

My father worked for 3M for 25 years. Custom order tape department in London, Ontario - the headquarters of 3M Canada. I grew up with all their products from video cassettes, audio cassettes, every adhesive tape imaginable, glues, diskettes, waxes & polishes, Scotchbrite pads, Post-it-notes, etc. I even worked there one summer as a student. The factory was spotless - you could eat off the floor. I remember at one time they made 35,000 different products. Just a fantastic company.

3M makes at least 2 differing kinds of wing leading edge erosion tape that is sub-par. One product turns a sickly yellow very rapidly. The other cracks into an ugly mess and can't be removed easily.

Yes, I have and i was impressed. I used it ona motorcycle windshield. The previous owner had removed stickers with a razor blade and putty knife, making some pretty deep scratches. This was way worse than a headlight. I was able to remove all the scratches, and polish it out to where I looked new with just an hour of labor. I am sure it would work very well on headlamps.

Rod

Back