Refinishing under hood engine trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some left over SEM Trim Black paint (good stuff, BTW) that I don't want to go to waste from another project

..so I figure I'd freshen up some of the trim pieces under the hood.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for a silver paint for a bit of raised lettering on the engine cover. It's not a lot, and I'm not too picky about the finish. As long as it's silver, I'm fine with it.

While some of the "chrome" or more metallic paints would be neat, most of them are more like craft paints that probably wouldn't hold up, not to mention costing enough so that I could buy an entirely new part for the same cost. (keep in mind, this is for mostly for fun)

If all else fails, I'm thinking about Rustoleum's High Heat silver; it's cheap, and should stand up to the heat. I'm just not sure if it will stick to the acrylic black, and I wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions, including perhaps something brushable.

I've had my fill of masking and other paint work for now, so the easier and cheaper the better.

I have a new level of appreciation for those who do this kind of work, professionally, well, or both. Especially in a production environment.

Last edited:
What's the car/engine? I bought a vinyl decal for my 3800. Worth looking into, it looks pretty good.

Sorry for letting this hang...real life intruded and got crazy.

It's a BMW, with the lettering and some stripes.

Anyway, Duplicolor seems to think 250F is good enough for under hood duty, so their "stainless steel" paint would work as well as the caliper paint.

Also found comments about compatibility between the different types of spray can acrylics, and have to keep that in mind and verify with them.

Additionally, few of the sprays are fuel safe, but if there is raw fuel loose in the engine compartment, I think there may be bigger issues to attend to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back