Power steering hoses and lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning BITOG faithful. So, dad called and said the high psi power steering hose on his 01' Dakota 2wd truck spring a leak. Autozone had one for $19.99 but not great warranty. So, I went to local hydraulic place and they made me a hose and put fittings on and pressure and leak tested for under $15. Good enough for me

Who do you folks use for power steering and hydraulic hoses and lines?

I'd be very interested in seeing what you got from the "local hydraulic place" for $15, and comparing it to the $20 Gates:
352280-1_TOP_A.jpg

Originally Posted By: car51
Good morning BITOG faithful. So, dad called and said the high psi power steering hose on his 01' Dakota 2wd truck spring a leak. Autozone had one for $19.99 but not great warranty. So, I went to local hydraulic place and they made me a hose and put fittings on and pressure and leak tested for under $15. Good enough for me

Who do you folks use for power steering and hydraulic hoses and lines?
did they use compression fittings? Does it look like they used the old ends with out welding on new barbs? If so the autozone hose was better

The hose looks like one ramblejam showed. The ends are same and I think they used gates for rubber hose material. Being able to watch it being made and pressure tested works for me. "Local hydraulic place" is J-L Hydraulics also and they have been around for 70+ years btw

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I'd be very interested in seeing what you got from the "local hydraulic place" for $15, and comparing it to the $20 Gates:
352280-1_TOP_A.jpg

For one the crimped ends are a whole lot better and will not leak unlike this toy you posted in your pic.

I got the pressure hose for my 86 at O'Reillys for $15.99 a few years ago with a lifetime warranty. It was in stock. The Gates was twice as much and only had a 1 year warranty.

It's not always cheaper. My BMW needed new power steering hoses and a local highly regarded repair place was going to have a power steering shop fabricate new hoses. It was actually cheaper to have the local BMW specialty repair shop do the repair using BMW OEM hoses. Both jobs were for parts and labour. Not what I would have expected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I got the pressure hose for my 86 at O'Reillys for $15.99 a few years ago with a lifetime warranty. It was in stock. The Gates was twice as much and only had a 1 year warranty.

O'Reilly covers it for a year; the manufacturer (Gates) offers a limited lifetime warranty:

"Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates). Gates will replace or repair, at its option, any Goods proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period. This is the sole remedy for breach of warranty. Color fade and color difference is not warranted. This warranty is void if the defect is caused by improper installation, use or maintenance of the Goods, or used for racing or competition."

http://www.gates.com/utility/warranty

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: sprite1741

O'Reilly covers it for a year; the manufacturer (Gates) offers a limited lifetime warranty:

"Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates). Gates will replace or repair, at its option, any Goods proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period. This is the sole remedy for breach of warranty. Color fade and color difference is not warranted. This warranty is void if the defect is caused by improper installation, use or maintenance of the Goods, or used for racing or competition."

http://www.gates.com/utility/warranty

All that means is they're pretty much off the hook warranty wise, nobody is going to go after a company to get their $20 back, unless it injured them.

No offense, but what's wrong with what he did? Is it OEM no, but if a hydraulic line is good enough to run forklifts and heavy equipment, it should do his power steering system just fine.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
No offense, but what's wrong with what he did? Is it OEM no, but if a hydraulic line is good enough to run forklifts and heavy equipment, it should do his power steering system just fine.

There's nothing wrong with what he did, he did the right thing he has a hose that's better and stronger then anything you can buy OTC auto parts.

Actually its a over kill for this application but hey he'll never have to worry about a failure.

Personally, I will do the same thing as OP.

Have no problem with local hydraulic shop making some of the brake lines on the suburban in my signature.
The store never have it in stock for the longer length needed in a K2500 trucks.

Besides it is good supporting local economy, made in usa parts.
They will probably outlast the truck.

Last edited:
I would often have a hydraulics shop build replacement hoses. The reason is that some auto companies will change the design of the hose without telling anyone. Other times the OEM part is almost nowhere to be found.

Having them make A/C hoses sometimes a good decision as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back