PEAK 5W40 Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nyumski
Dont guess it is either good or not but run VOA..
So we can know the additives level..

Who is qualified to determine the future performance of an oil based on a Blackstone type VOA?

I'm just asking "in general terms" is this oil a decent oil to use. Is it comparable to Valvoline, Rotella or DELO.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
If it carries the CJ-4 spec then its good, its that simple.

No, it isn't that simple
smile.gif

Yes it is. Unless you have testing facilities and methods that surpass the API equipment and testing methods it is as simple as that.
A CJ4 oil is just as good as any other CJ4 oil unless documented tests results prove otherwise comparing two oils under the same exact testing methods. Any claim otherwise means nothng more the old snake oil.

You asked abut Peak oil, a certified CJ4 oil, there is no proving another CJ4 oil twice at its cost is any better, other then fancy marketing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pb379
I'm just asking "in general terms" is this oil a decent oil to use. Is it comparable to Valvoline, Rotella or DELO.

Yes, it is comparable. Warren oil bottles for many companies/brands.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Yes it is. Unless you have testing facilities and methods that surpass the API equipment and testing methods it is as simple as that.
A CJ4 oil is just as good as any other CJ4 oil unless documented tests results prove otherwise comparing two oils under the same exact testing methods. Any claim otherwise means nothng more the old snake oil.

You asked abut Peak oil, a certified CJ4 oil, there is no proving another CJ4 oil twice at its cost is any better, other then fancy marketing.

Look, I'm just poking fun. If it were that simple we wouldn't have BITOG.
grin.gif

My truck's book says the oil must be fully synthetic, 5W40, meet FCA MS-10902 and CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4.

So, not just ANY CJ-4 oil will suffice.

Generally speaking, in a vanilla application, yes. But, what builder approvals or ACEA specifications does it meet? An E7, E9 CJ-4 lube tends to have a starting TBN higher by 30 or 40%.

If the oil meets the intended application its good enough for owners manual/IOLM intervals.

Yes there are different oils blended for extended drain applications that will return better UOA's long term, but I was simply answering a question and if the Peak oil in question meets manufacturer specs no worries.

Absolutely. If CJ-4 is what someone needs for OEM OCIs, no problems whatsoever. There occasionally are, however, certain things that do justify (at least nominally) the higher cost of certain HDEOs.

Originally Posted By: pb379

Look, I'm just poking fun. If it were that simple we wouldn't have BITOG.
grin.gif

My truck's book says the oil must be fully synthetic, 5W40, meet FCA MS-10902 and CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4.

So, not just ANY CJ-4 oil will suffice.

The OP is goofing on everyone. I would love to see an owners manual that states what he stated above. You never will and of course his OP changed halfway down the page. :eek:)

When I said I'm poking fun, I was speaking of the differing opinions and attitudes about oil selection here on BITOG. There really is no need to get your feathers all ruffled.

Here is the text from the RAM 1500/2500/3500 Diesel supplement 7th edition. You can RAM TRUCKS OWNERS MANUALS download the manual yourself here.

From page 102
Quote:
Engine Oil
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recom- mends engine oils that meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified and meet the requirements of FCA LLC.

From page 103
Quote:
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
CAUTION!
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced technol- ogy Diesel Engine and an emission device designed to limit Diesel Particulate Emissions from being released into the atmosphere. The durability of your engine and life expectancy of this diesel particulate filter emission device is highly dependent on the use of the correct engine oil.
We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

From page 121
Quote:
FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS Engine
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE 121
Component
Engine Oil

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

My mistake, thought you were still goofing! I am very surprised to see ACEA B4 OR E7/E9 mentioned in the same recommendations. I guess ms10902 oils can be either one. Actually that helps me out to know this, so thank you, as my Harley Davidson calls for a ch4 oil or higher diesel oil, Which would be an ACEA E oil equal, but the ACEA B4 oils are also ok overseas for many diesel applications and was thinking of using B4 liquimoly.
Anyway, my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back