STP16XL First Used STP XL Cut open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This STP XL was used for about 1k miles plus for another 20 hours of time running the car without being driven. The engine was started up twice a week and allowed to run for 30 minutes to warm up for a couple of months while the owner was doing some repairs and getting it roadworthy before putting insurance on it. The car was a 1982 mustang with a 302. Sadly there was some metal dust that came out of the oil in the filter. Did not find any metal dust in the oil itself. Metal was magnetic, but unsure of what it was. Plan on doing another oil change in 1k miles to see if the trend continues. Oil used was 10w30 Mobil super. I personally think this filter looks great! This ADBV was more pliable than the M1 I just cut open and it has even pleats! It looks like there is some attention paid to putting this filter. It used a coil spring rather than a leaf spring.

Seems to be made good. Thanks for the pictures.

AutoZone has this filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $29.99 oil change special.

Does look pretty good indeed. What kind of filter cutter do you use here ??

You did a nice job here and on the other cut and post as well. Actually really well done.

I am using an exhaust cutter I bought for about $20 on Amazon. I think it is usually closer to $30. It took a few filters worth of practice, but ive learned how to use it quite well without any denting to the can and to get an even cut. It was this one me thinks:

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2031DD...=exhaust+cutter

I am unsure who makes them, but I have been getting them for free just trying to use up my Autozone rewards points before they expire. They are rated 99% at 20 microns. Also, I personally think the STP Synthetic and STP XL filter for $24.99 is a steal coming from an autoparts store. Dexos certified and this filter which feels like a tank. It is only a couple more dollars than Supertech syn with a Fram toughguard. I would not hesitate to grab the Autozone Mobil 1 deal either. Especially since they are doing rebates again.

Thanks for sharing. I've got an STP XL on my truck right now. Usually I use Mobil 1 or Bosch but this came at a great price in an oil change pack. It looked nice now I can see it is a solid filter and less expensive than a Fram Ultra.

The STP XL has a very good ISO efficiency rating according to AZ and box info. Looks to be a decently made filter too including a silicone adbv. Coil compression spring typical of many aftermarket Asian filters. However at ~$10 everyday AZ price, I'd have to go with an Ultra spin on that tier filter before it. It's ~$1 less and made in US. Just me. Also looks like they don't make the very popular 7317 size only the shorty 6607, that would make it a no go for me too.

So likely the only way I'd use the XL is with an excellent AZ oil/filter combo promo sale. Unfortunately I rarely if ever see anything at AZ in an oil/filter promo that beats WM oil price plus a separate oil filter purchase.

I wonder if the folks that make the STP XL are same as make K&N now. Could be.

Thanks for pics.

^^^^Here's the odd thing about that to me. The XL shows a solid ISO efficiency rating, where the K&N publishes none. I would imagine that the K&N could/would be sold at the XL price point or higher, so it would seem easy to match the XL efficiency. Outside reports though, have the K&N significantly lower. Strange.

Seems now I do vaguely remember that Daewha link being posted previously showing that info.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
..... The blue STP cans are now made by Purolator....

Not in this region/area. The AZ STP blue cans are still Champ/Fram made. No switch over has been made as of yet.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The STP XL has a very good ISO efficiency rating according to AZ and box info. Looks to be a decently made filter too including a silicone adbv. Coil compression spring typical of many aftermarket Asian filters. However at ~$10 everyday AZ price, I'd have to go with an Ultra spin on that tier filter before it. It's ~$1 less and made in US. Just me. Also looks like they don't make the very popular 7317 size only the shorty 6607, that would make it a no go for me too.

So likely the only way I'd use the XL is with an excellent AZ oil/filter combo promo sale. Unfortunately I rarely if ever see anything at AZ in an oil/filter promo that beats WM oil price plus a separate oil filter purchase.

Thanks for pics.

Some people prefer to not shop at walmart. For those who don't I believe this is an excellent filter. As for People in a similar circumstance to me with many used cars in the yard where one always needs something more than an oil change, our rewards points collect up enough that we sometimes have over $100 in our account. Sometimes I forget and don't use it on a larger purchase, so I just buy one of these filters or the oil and filter deal. But the STP XL and Synthetic oil is only about $2 more than Supertech synthetic and a Fram Toughguard. At that, for cheaper synthetic oil changes for the girls car or other people who want a basic synthetic it is worth shopping at Autozone.

Someone cut open a new one of these awhile back. I can't seem to use the search well enough to find it. What I remember is it seemed to have a lot of rough edges and nothing very special for the high price. For me, the Korea made is a turn off when they have USA made on the shelf. It bothers me a lot that AZ goes to a Korean company for a $10 filter instead of a USA made. Walmart does better on that in oil filters, supporting Wix with their own line. The FU is $1 less at WM full price than the STP at AZ. What's up with that. The way it looks it may be already China will end up making all the oil and air filters as US companies go bankrupt.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Thanks for pics.

Some people prefer to not shop at walmart. For those who don't I believe this is an excellent filter.....

It's all good. I was simply giving 'my reasons' why 'I' wouldn't choose the XL 'first' in that tier filter and price range. And while WM is the place first noted for FU because they are likely the largest retailer, other places sell it too. I also mentioned the conditions under which 'I' would choose/use the XL. Nowhere in my post did I say the XL is a poor filter. In fact I thought is was rather complimentary.

If you're happy with it, cool. No reason imo to be defensive because someone posts a different point of view and explains why.

Have a good one.

They appear to be decently made, my gripe is the price point. These showed up when the Tough Guards disappeared from AZ, yet they are foreign made and cost more. No deal.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
They appear to be decently made, my gripe is the price point. These showed up when the Tough Guards disappeared from AZ, yet they are foreign made and cost more. No deal.

Also, when the XL first came out, the cartridges were the same price as the spin-ons (all XL's were $8.99). Then after a few months, they raised the price of the cartridge filters to above Fram Ultra/M1/Wix XP levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back