When you were younger once, did you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend had a 1994 300ZX twin turbo. Modded to the hilt. Speedometer goes to 160. We got out on the interstate and he lets it loose! That car would spin the rear tires and start to go sideways when he'd floor it at 100+ mph. Needle went past 160 and kept going. I was actually begging him to slow down,I was about crying and he was laughing!! He definitely built a beast!

Sadly he totaled it eventually (good lord!).

I can verify that a 1971 Chrysler T&C station wagon-all 5000 pounds of it--will bury the speedometer needle at 120, if powered by a 365HP 440 TNT engine.

Just about everything else I drove either had the 85MPH speedometer, would not go much-if any-faster than that, or both.

Actually, one exception: I have no idea how fast it was (85MPH speedo), but my Shelby Charger would pull past 5500RPM in 5th gear.

I got my civic hx up to 110 for a sec or 2. it would not go any higher,..73 plymouth barracuda , no frills 318 auto v8- 115 mph. not hit 120 on speedometer

Last edited:
My parents were very practical. They didn't have fast vehicles. Now every vehicle I have owned, I have found it's maximum speed.

When I lived in Colorado, I often ran the Mercedes 280CE coupe (182 hp) up to 100. Once was on a string-straight, well-paved county road near Great Sand Dunes National Monument. I'm roaring along, alert to the nines, when I come over a very slight rise and see a sign:

WATCH FOR BISON ON ROAD

I slowed down quick.

The W126 Mercedes, with 201 hp, I ran up to 100 several times, once in NE New Mexico along the highway that parallels the old Santa Fe Trail. Wide open country and a smooth highway. Wow.

Maybe those 2 cars would have gone faster, but I never got the chance to find out.

Nope, not when I was young. I was in my 30's before I hit triple digits, first time under objection, second time was keeping up with traffic, neither was max speed. Not sure I'll ever do that again.

After spending enough time at + 100 MPH in boats, cars and motorcycles it is not a big whoop any more. Been there done there ,Next thrill?

I'm sure I tested the limit of my '75 Firebird ( 400 low compression, 4 bbl, headers, mild cam ) but I honestly don't recall what it was. The next hottish car I had as a punk was a Turbo T Bird and I honestly don't recall it's top speed, either, but I'm sure I found it.

My Garmin recorded 174 mph for my '04 GTO ( Monaro ). That seems impossible for only 350 rated horsepower, but it was a strong car and that's what it recorded. If accurate, that's the fastest car I've had. The Xj12 will hit it's limiter of 158. The newer Jag with less weight and almost as much HP seems to be limited at an embarrasingly limp wristed 121. I've had the sixer G8 approaching 130 with more left. I have no idea what the Torrent or Solstice will do.

I don't think the S-10 would hit the century mark if you pushed it out of a plane. The Expy might, but I don't have the nerve to try it.

I'm not surprised about the GTO. My old M5 (400HP) was capable of 190Mph and would be similar in weight and size.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Are you sure 190 for a stock M5 ?

Yup. There's a video of one on Youtube doing it actually. It was the world's fastest sedan when it came to market. 190 is basically right on the rev limiter in 6th. I had the car north of 160 and it was still pulling hard (on a closed course of course). Somebody obviously had the limiter removed because the North American market ones are supposed to be limited to 155Mph.

Originally Posted By: Win
My Garmin recorded 174 mph for my '04 GTO ( Monaro ). That seems impossible for only 350 rated horsepower, but it was a strong car and that's what it recorded.

Stock '04 could hit 153MPH in fifth (at redline), and was governed at 158MPH, which was only 4200RPM in sixth. Max power wasn't made until 5200RPM, so with the limiter removed, I don't doubt it could do that. Pretty awesome for a mere 350HP.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Are you sure 190 for a stock M5 ?

Here's one hitting 188Mph on the autobahn (302Km/h):

And here's one of my favourites which is an older video (2006) but shows how quickly (for a 400HP car) it comes up on the 300Km/h end mark on the speedo:

As I said, you are pretty much on the rev limiter at that speed. One you shift out of 5th to 6th it doesn't pull anywhere near as hard but still boogies pretty good. The gear ratios are all pretty close so it keeps it deep in the power band.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
When you were younger once, did you ever try to bury the needle in the family car,

Obligatory:
8e209de7e8f2ef3ca56558c2da1e32d6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back