Mann vs Napa Platnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the Napa Platnum oil filters on my '84GT and '06 RAV4 for quite some time What are your thoughts on using them on my '03 325xi ?

welcome2.gif

Napa Platinum is great stuff, wire-backed synthetic for extended OCI use.

Mann is good IF it's a real European Mann and not a reboxed Purolator.

The real Mann part numbers start with W for spin-on cans (eg 719/27), and HU for the cartridges (eg HU 6007x).

Mann filters that start with ML are the Purolators (eg ML 1003).

Can you get a platinum cartridge filter at a reasonable cost? The filter for my 135i is very $$$. I wouldn't mind trying it, since some Mann filters are now made in Mexico.

The Napa platinum is a good filter but just wait till the Fram fanboys read this they will make it out to the worst thing since the black plague.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Napa Platinum/Wix XP cartridges are made in Poland. The Mann for your BMW is made in Mexico

OEM oil filter for BMW is MAHLE and has to be made in Austria.
MANN is OEM air filter for BMW and it is Made in Mexico for the U.S. market. MANN oil filters could be made in Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Bosnia or Italy.
As for your question, for BMW always OEM (MAHLE) or MAHLE (aftermarket) and if you cannot find those then MANN. I would avoid any NAPA, WIx, FRAMM or whatever their name is. Too much cost cutting going on there.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The Napa platinum is a good filter but just wait till the Fram fanboys read this they will make it out to the worst thing since the black plague.
I'm not a fram fanboy.. but I do not see the point of buying the more expensive platinum. I'd just spin on/install a napa gold both have the same efficiency and who cares about dirt holding capacity.. you should never ever be anywhere close to max.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
The Napa Platinum/Wix XP cartridges are made in Poland. The Mann for your BMW is made in Mexico

MANN is OEM air filter for BMW and it is Made in Mexico for the U.S. market. MANN oil filters could be made in Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Bosnia or Italy.
As for your question, for BMW always OEM (MAHLE) or MAHLE (aftermarket) and if you cannot find those then MANN. I would avoid any NAPA, WIx, FRAMM or whatever their name is. Too much cost cutting going on there.

Not true. It depends on your engine.
Most BMW I6 and I4 engines use Mann as OEM and the V8 engines seem to use Mahle as OEM.

MANN is OEM air filter for BMW and it is Made in Mexico for the U.S. market. MANN oil filters could be made in Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Bosnia or Italy. -snip- avoid any NAPA, WIx, FRAMM or whatever their name is. Too much cost cutting going on there.

Mann filters are also made in Spain
laugh.gif

Wix makes very good filters. Fram and Purolator, though, definitely avoid.

Mann oil filters can also be made/rebadged in Korea
laugh.gif

And just to bash a little, my last 3 made in Austria Mahle filters rusted on the inside. Should have taken pictures...

Do the heavy industry guys in the US regard Napa as Highly as Donaldson Powercore?

In Europe our heavy industry guys use Mann nearly exclusively...

Originally Posted By: Superflop
I'd just spin on/install a napa gold both have the same efficiency ...

But they don't have the same efficiency ... the Gold is better per WIX tech data.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Superflop
I'd just spin on/install a napa gold both have the same efficiency ...

But they don't have the same efficiency ... the Gold is better per WIX tech data.

Isn't the Platiunum geared toward longer drain intervals like 10-15k? Probably filter about the same, but my guess is the synthetic media is made to last a little longer.

Originally Posted By: Noobie

Not true. It depends on your engine.
Most BMW I6 and I4 engines use Mann as OEM and the V8 engines seem to use Mahle as OEM.

I have an OE BMW boxed filter for my 135i that is a German-made Mann. Go to the parts store and they will give you a Mexican Mann.

I've gotten BMW boxed Mahle filters for my 318, made in Germany...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back