M1-108 or M1-102 filter: '13 Mazda3 iT Skyactiv 2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHORT VERSION
Which Mobil 1 brand oil filter is correct for a 2013 Mazda3 iTouring SkyActive 2.0L: the M1-108 or the M1-102?

LONG VERSION
Went to change my oil for the first time today on my 2013 Mazda3 iTouring SkyActive 2.0L (had been doing dealership changes for a while, coupons ran out so doing it myself now).

I ordered a Mobil 1 replacement filter on Amazon - and here's where the trouble began. Amazon.com lets you filter products based on your car model, with a series of drop-down lists for your make, model, and trim. The trouble is, the last drop-down list are some DOHC engine variants that I don't confidently recognize (see http://imgur.com/a/zvuUt ) and can't find listed any where in the manual.

I selected the "G" engine variant, assuming that since my manual *does* say SkyActiv-G some where in it, that the "G" must refer to the engine variant.

That led me to the M1-102.

...but then under the car installing the new filter, I noticed that it was a good 15% larger in diameter than the factory Mazda filter that was already on there (a Mazda K3804 ). I didn't try screwing on the threads, but the diameter was so far off I thought no way can this be right.

Headed to my local hardware store (Autozone), they look it up, and tell me it's the M1-108. I noticed while the clerk was looking up the model on his Autozone computer, he came across the same DOHC engine variant options as I had on Amazon. I asked him how he knew to pick whichever one he picked - he said he didn't know(!), but that "usually all the variants at that level use the same filter." I asked him to check the "G" variant on his computer, and he saw the same M1-102 I saw on Amazon - he had never seen that variation before.

Anyway, I took the M1-108, it was MUCH closer in diameter to the factory K3804 that had been on there, threads installed fine.

But I have this sense of paranoia that there's a chance maybe I should have still gone forward with the noticeably larger diameter M1-102...I don't know, am I going to break my car?

According to Mobil parts look up site, the M108 'appears' as best as I can tell to be the correct filter. Got to site linked and try it for yourself. http://www.showmetheparts.com/mobil/

I like buying parts from Amazon, but I don't like nor consider their parts look up to be necessarily authoritative. I use the OEM parts site or like in this case the filters site or even Rock Auto to look up the correct part numbers and applications.

If Mobil/M1 says the M1-108 is correct, and you care about keeping the filter warranty or it's a consideration then that is what you should go with. If not, you can try the larger M1-102 another time 'IF' it fits.

Edit. Looking at xref, doubtful the 102 would fit anyway.

Last edited:
The longer version of the M1-108 is the M1-110
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

You say that as if they can be used interchangeably - is that right? Why would I want to use a taller one vs a shorter one that still fits and has the same properties?

Originally Posted By: s00ms00m
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

You say that as if they can be used interchangeably - is that right? Why would I want to use a taller one vs a shorter one that still fits and has the same properties?

Since you asked, the 6607 (108) is commonly known as the shorty version of the 7317 (110). The latter having the same specs but is ~1" longer. That means it has more media area a bit more oil capacity. Some folks here run the 7317 in place of the spec'd 6607 size, Nissan is a particular example where that often occurs. The one caveat as noted previously is the filter warranty would not likely apply in the unlikely event of some engine issue that could be attributed to or at least blamed on the filter.

So now you are fully informed and can make your own decision on what you choose to do.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: s00ms00m

Yes, that is right. They can be used interchangeably as long as there is room for the taller filter, which there is on your 3. The taller filter has more filter media.

The alternative you originally mentioned will not fit, since the thread is different and thus will not screw on to your engine. If the M1-108 screwed on, the M1-102 definitely will not.

I just put a Napa Gold 1356 (Wix 51356) which is the same as the taller m1-110 on my motorcycle :]

Using whatever you want, I usually put taller filters on mine if they fit but it's more of a personal feel-good than anything else.

I thought the "G" simply meant "Gas" because they were supposed to bring the SkyActive Diesel as well?

Edit: AH - Looking at your screen capture, I suspect the letter/number at the end of the engine description is the engine code from the VIN, see if the 8th digit of your VIN matches one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back