Gear marking compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a difficult time locating gear marking compound for a reasonable cost. Has anybody used the Permatex Prussian Blue? How about a home made alternative? I've heard of people using everything from grease to spray paint to lip stick...

GM gear marking paint is $15 a tube. Not sure what you consider a reasonable price but hopefully $15 doesn't break the bank.

ACDelco 10-5055 Gear Marking Compound

Originally Posted By: buck91
Has anybody used the Permatex Prussian Blue?

Yes I have used it many times on and my last gear change (2014). It was available on the shelf at my local jobber parts store. My only complaint about it is the color is hard to see. The best product for color is the compound you get with a new gear set install kit, it is a butternut yellow and shows patterns superbly, but I cannot find the manufacturer or source other than in a new kit.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

This appears to be the yellow I am talking about. I would get this.

Prussian blue is the best, as you can actually run the drive for a half hour or so in oil and see how the marking change loaded...that's what we do with industrial worm drives.

In a pinch, you can use a black permanent marker

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: FowVay

This appears to be the yellow I am talking about. I would get this.

Available at Amazon, $15.17/ oz. with prime.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Prussian blue is the best, as you can actually run the drive for a half hour or so in oil and see how the marking change loaded...that's what we do with industrial worm drives.

In a pinch, you can use a black permanent marker

Do tell? I just had my FLAPS order a tube for me to check wear on an AMC 20 rear. I'd have assumed running it in gear oil would wash it off or make it runny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back