Rock Auto UltraPower Toyota filter copy? Cut open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after reading about the grab bag of possibilities from the discount filters available from Rock Auto, some friends and I took a chance and ordered a TON of filters. Some of those filters are the common Toyota size filters equivalent to a Fram PH3614 or Purolator L10241. When the filters arrived they very closely resemble some of the details of a OEM Toyota filter, such as the O-ring style gasket, black can complete with old Toyota numbering system and also the cellophane that seals the filter in the box. A feature that is on OEM Toyota filters as well as other filters such as the Beck Arnley which I also have a few of here at the house. Other filters purchased were almost exclusively Carquest Red and Blue filters, all filters were $1.41 or $1.42 each, I will detail what I purchased in another thread. So without further delay here are the pictures.

Initial Cut

ADBV on initial cut

ADBV

Filter media and glue drip/run

Wide pleat spacing on aprox 1/8 of the total media

Drip close up

Bottom End Cap Bypass valve

Inside metal seam

Filter media

Inside Can with spring

Spring

Perf Tube

Continued on next post...

Perf Tube 2

Perf Tube 3

Top end cap

Bottom end cap with bypass valve

Filter threaded plate, holes around adbv are slightly sharp, yard to say if they would cut the adbv or not over time

45 Total pleats, 53.5"x2.5" Total media Area 133.75 in sq

Overall I really can't complain for a $1.42 filter. I bought a few so we'll see how they do in service, thoughts and comments are always welcome.

Why in the world would you put a $1.42 unknown filter on your engine?
For $5 or $6 more you can get a filter of known quality.
I just don't get it.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I see the Japanese words on the filter; does it say on the oil filter or box where the filter is made?

Originally Posted By: marine65
I just don't get it.

I knew I'd get some blow back on this, however lots of people drive lots and lots of miles every day on e-core filters, Fram with paper end caps, God knows what filters the oil change places use...

So I want to examine your statement for a moment. I bought a few filters, cut one open to examine it. Metal end caps, reasonable media pleat spacing, appears to be well constructed. It's at least as good as many of the other filters that I've used in the past.

As for price, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I also purchased a dozen oil filters that fit the newer Ford's or oil cooler pushrod V-8's they were all Car Quest Red filters made by wix, $1.41 ea. Standard Ford V-8 filters (1515 PH-8A etc) also for $1.41 ea they were half and half Wix Car Quest red purchased as wholesaler close out wix and the other half were marketed as Ultra Power and they were Car Quest Blue. Plus some equipment filters, all CQ Blue. All of those were bought for $1.41/1.42 each.

The only filters that weren't Wix were these Toyota filters, at the end of the day after cutting one I'm comfortable using them. I could change it every 1,000 miles and still be money ahead over boutique fancy filters on a 3,000-5,000 mile oci. After buying nearly 50 Carquest red and blue Wix filters for the price I did, I'd say I did alright overall.

I used proselect from napa on my hyundai with synthetic oil but never pushed them past 4100 miles. I would keep an eye on these.For the price you can afford to change them more often and I probably would.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Thanks for posting the pictures. I see the Japanese words on the filter; does it say on the oil filter or box where the filter is made?

I can't find any indication of where it's made. The Beck Arnley filters that I have with the same cellophane sealing plastic are made in Korea, genuine Toyota filters of this size are made in Taiwan to the best of my knowledge. For all I know it's a knock off made in China, but upon dissection I'm comfortable using it.

looks like a cheap filter for sure looks like the media is made from old shopping bags and then add some louvers and who knows what can happen WOW

Haha I got a couple of those same filters as well. Thanks for cutting one open.

I am guessing it was a fake filter that got pulled from the Denso box and reboxed after it was found out. That's how it ended up as is.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
looks like a cheap filter for sure looks like the media is made from old shopping bags and then add some louvers and who knows what can happen WOW

The media isn't that bad, it is about the same quality of Purolator Classic and Fram Extra Guard, but I may not use this filter in my car(s) for more than 5-6k miles.

Last edited:
That's a great theory. I bet you're right. To me they looked like a Chinese copy of an OEM Toyota filter. For my 3,000-5,000 oci with conventional in my 315,000 mile 4Runner I bet they'll be just fine. I will post up pictures of one after it's been used.

It didn't look terrible to me either, very obviously not an ultra premium filter. But I didn't expect it to be. I took a chance on some grab bag filters and I'd say I 80% won considering that's about how many were CarQuest red or blue. These I will still run, they'll do for what I need. Glad to share with the BITOG community.

They look like Union Sangyo made in Malaysia filters sold under the Nippon and some other names to me. I bought some about ten years ago. They were a version with red adbv. The lack of name, old factory part numbers and instructions are very similar, as well as the thicker than USA made can seam. It was for a Maxima and they caused start up rattle. I think due to being very old. If it is Union it should be a very good filter I would say. Someone whoever it was had the machinery means to make a good looking louvered center tube.

I just don't get it.

Because the filter that costs $1.42 is just as good as the one you'd pay $5 or $6 for. I don't get that.

I got a few clearance filters from Rock Auto for my wife's Scion and my F150.
I got 5 CQ Blue for the Scion and they were all Wix made filters, I got 3 CQ Reds for the truck, 1 was Wix made, 2 were the newer Champ/Fram made.
I could not make myself by an unknown filter, even for that cheap a price. But after seeing it, I could see using it for a shorter interval change.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Kool1

I can't find any indication of where it's made. The Beck Arnley filters that I have with the same cellophane sealing plastic are made in Korea, genuine Toyota filters of this size are made in Taiwan to the best of my knowledge. For all I know it's a knock off made in China, but upon dissection I'm comfortable using it.

Cellophane is the traditional plastic wrap used by manufacturers in Britain, and Hong Kong was, until about 15 years ago, a British colony. It's just a natural material for an island-based nation to use, as it's main property is that it's lightweight.

So the use of Cellophane became very common in China and other Asian nations where we would use polyethylene based plastics here in North America. Again, due to the predominant western influences, which is the US, not the UK, in Japan they typically use poly, not cello.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I just don't get it.

Because the filter that costs $1.42 is just as good as the one you'd pay $5 or $6 for. I don't get that.

It might look good, but who knows how it actually filters, how restrictive it is or what the bypass valve is set to. For me, those factors matter quite a bit in choosing an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I just don't get it.

+1

And most of the time, they are all made in the same spot. Paying more might make you feel good but frequently makes one an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back