Replacing 14 yr old windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nthach

I've seen Pilkington, AGC and Sekurit either etch the OEM logo or screen their logo over it for some glass pieces. Just recently I was in a Uber and I noticed one of the windows has the OEM BMW/Sekurit "bug" but it was missing the BMW logo - it has the same font and spacing as the rest of the door glass.

My preference is OEM/OES glass. If you can't get it or afford it, the only aftermarket glass I would even consider is FYG - I've heard bad things from them in the past but they've been getting OEM contracts as of late. I'm seeing a lot of glass shops install XYG ot AutoTemp glass and I can see the waviness and tint differences. However, PGW is sourcing glass from FYG - check the DOT. PGW's DOT is 904, XYG is 563.

A friend's Focus just got an FYG/Fuyao windshield from Safelite, and it seems fine, every bit as good as the OE Carlite. DOT 459 I think. AFAIK, Safelite still makes at least some of their own windshields, in NC.

My 96 I30 had at least 3 different suppliers for the glass. The Windshield was PPG (my car has a replacement windshield that was also made by PPG, DOT 18, exact same OE windshield but without the Nissan logo). The door windows and the sunroof were all made by Asahi (DOT 20), and the rear window is Carlex.

Does PGW still get to use PPG's DOT 18? Was it replaced by DOT 904? Or is the DOT 904 an additional factory somewhere?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Does PGW still get to use PPG's DOT 18? Was it replaced by DOT 904? Or is the DOT 904 an additional factory somewhere?

They had to use a new one.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

They had to use a new one.

ok

Interesting how they make the glass companies use new DOT codes when changing names/ownership, but not the tire companies.

I have never had a problem with a replacement windshield, though my application is very simple with an attached moulding that is just for appearance. The urethane does all of the actual sealing. It's going to vary by application, but I think in most cases the urethane is the primary seal.

I wrecked my 2002 Ranger pretty bad a few years ago. The aftermarket PGW windshield survived, but the urethane seal was apparently damaged. A while after the wreck I would sometimes find a couple water droplets on the passenger airbag cover, which drove me nuts, so I had the windshield replaced with a Pilkington for $150. No leaks since.

I've never had problems with windshield replacements. The last time I did it, the insurance company sent a mobile windshield-repair technician to the parking structure where I was at. It took him less than half hour and the resulting job was as good as new, despite older cars like mine having fancy chrome moldings around the windshield. Don't worry about leakage -- they use plenty of adhesive on the entire circumference.

Before the internet I remember watching one of the car programs where they showed a motorized setup for polishing a portion of the windshield. It was held on with a suction cup, and it just polished away while you watched and made sure it didn't run dry and overheat the glass. The polishing only needs to be done in a relatively small area to reduce glare from oncoming lights.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Before the internet I remember watching one of the car programs where they showed a motorized setup for polishing a portion of the windshield. It was held on with a suction cup, and it just polished away while you watched and made sure it didn't run dry and overheat the glass. The polishing only needs to be done in a relatively small area to reduce glare from oncoming lights.

You'd be surprised at how much material needs to be removed to make scratches and pitting disappear. Polishing will make the view through the glass distorted and ugly. Only glass I'd have polished is one that can't be replaced.

i used a reputable local shop without a problem on the accords 20yr windshield after a dear's head smashed it. I kinda got a weird feeling when looking into the big chain window company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back