Kia Sedona oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Kia Sedona and have just completed the ninth or tenth oil change on this vehicle. The top mounted canister assembly has developed a leak between the oil cap flange and the o ring that seats between this flange and the filter housing. Upon inspection, the cap flange face has two notches,about 2mm wide and 1.5mm deep 180 degrees apart, and this is where the oil is leaking from. Various torque values on the cap make no difference.
Is there anyone who can offer any information? Since these notches appear to be part of the cap casting, I am assuming that they were put there for a reason....possibly for presssure relief which is stupid since it blows oil right onto the exhaust manifold heat shield.

That would definitely not be any type of pressure relief simply because oil can and will catch fire if it gets hot enough. That would be reason for mass recall. Not sure what you are looking at because I am not there, but it sounds like the o-ring is bad. You need to fix this ASAP before your engine catches fire.

+1 on a bad O-ring. Trying to tighten the cap more will do nothing to help if the O-ring is bad.

Yeah, I have had plenty with the original o ring and then they become square like and hard. No good

Always use a new O ring

I have that exact vehicle and no issues at all at 62k now. It really does sound like your o-ring is bad or it didn't get put on properly. Certainly look into it immediately though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back