Recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I dont remember what the rules are, but do we recycle cartridge oil filters or just toss in the normal trash?

For canisters, the feller at the parts house said they must place them face down over an oil barrel for 24hrs to drain. I dont think that does much good as the ADBV will hold oil and needs to be defeated to get to those few ounces of oil.

I take cartridge filters to my friends independent repair shop where he has a "filter crusher". Then they all(cartridge and spin on ones) go into his filter dumpster. Every 5 months OFR(oil filter recyclers out of Albion IL) come and empty his filter dumpster.

Basically, don't put any oil filter in the trash please

Originally Posted By: car51
Basically, don't put any oil filter in the trash please

Yes, make friends with an indy mechanic who has a filter crusher so he can take of them for you.
33.gif

You can probably drop them off for recycling with your used oil.

It very much depends on your local garbage collection.

Around here used filters are collected along with used oil. You are required to put them in 'special' plastic bags that look like regular plastic bags with green printing. Oil is accepted only in 'special' milk jugs that are exactly the same as regular milk jugs, but with a green cap.

The difference in weight between a new and a well-drained cartridge oil is trivial, and getting the special plastic bag is a hassle, so I'll admit that a few oil filters have just gone into the regular trash. I squeeze out my oil-soaked paper towels, and toss them in the regular trash as well.

NMBurb02: in PA, that's one of the laws in the county I am in. Also, my friend accepts the used oil filters for free btw.

Also, there is like one "recycling center" near me and they take used oil and such; BUT only do it like 2 times a year and THEY CHARGE you for each gallon you have so not a real win win. I take my used oil to my work and into our waste oil tank

I take mine(oil and filters) to various autoparts stores in the area.
takes oil and filter no problem:
O'Reilly*

takes both with a bit of attitude:
Walmart TLE

takes oil fine, won't touch filters:
Autozone (look at filters like they are plague carriers, and tell me to drop it in their regular trash)

I don't remember how advance handles it.. been too long. (the one nearest me is a former carquest, and they always seemed to exude an attitude of "we are superior to you, what are you doing in my store peasant?")

there is a Valvoline Intstant Oil Change in front of my employer, they used to take both no problem, but recently switched ownership, and now "can't accept outside used oil/filters."

*this is where i usually go, and they are one of the few stores near me to carry Wix

O'Reilly's takes used filters and oil for free to recycle. It's a no brainer for me, if you don't have an O'Reilly's, call around and see if any other auto parts stores in your area take them. Surely O'Reilly's can't be the only one!

The parts house feller was correct, at least according to the law; oil filters are not considered hazardous after they have been drained for 24 hours.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
For canisters, the feller at the parts house said they must place them face down over an oil barrel for 24hrs to drain. I dont think that does much good as the ADBV will hold oil and needs to be defeated to get to those few ounces of oil.

Yep, the ADBV will hold most of the oil in the filter. What they need to do is come up with a little device that will punch a hole in the dome end, then let it drain base down for 24 hours. The hole in the dome will let the oil pass through the center tube and out of the filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep, the ADBV will hold most of the oil in the filter. What they need to do is come up with a little device that will punch a hole in the dome end, then let it drain base down for 24 hours. The hole in the dome will let the oil pass through the center tube and out of the filter.

it's called a hammer, coupled w/ either a centerpunch, or a small screwdriver..
or a drill & Bit, or a self tapping screw & screw driver, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

True, but the guys at the parts store would be too lazy to do it that way. It might get messy too, so maybe a device where you place the filter down and pull a lever to punch a hole in the top where the mess can be contained. I'm surprised the recycling people don't require something like that so most of the oil can be removed from filters - guess they don't fully understand the workings of the ADBV.

Way back when I changed oil for a living I had a punch I had sharpened. If the filter was easy to it to. Example dodge diesel pickup. I would punch a hole in the base of the filter while on the truck. Let it and the oil pan drain while checking the rest of the vehicle. It was mostly so I didn't have to try to spin off the big filters full of very hot oil. But then again I would also open filters up and inspect them if I was slow.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

True, but the guys at the parts store would be too lazy to do it that way. It might get messy too, so maybe a device where you place the filter down and pull a lever to punch a hole in the top where the mess can be contained. I'm surprised the recycling people don't require something like that so most of the oil can be removed from filters - guess they don't fully understand the workings of the ADBV.

Zee - No worries. I just had an ADBV failure and all you would have to do is put it base down in the drain pan for 24 hours. It would be empty. I will eventually post the results. Well respected filter too.

Well there's no way it is going to be "empty" no matter how long it drains, the filtering material is still going to be saturated with used oil.

The legal requirements of the law will be met by opening the ADBV in 3 or 4 places and place on a rack above a drain pan for 24 hours base down. The law does not say bone dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back