Thinking About a New Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Beautiful bike
thumbsup2.gif
, I would keep it. Too bad it's a financial suicide to pay the insurance for them in Ontario, as I really like these bikes, Honda Super Blackbird even more so.
Many of the new bikes don't interest me.

I would love to get one of these
20.gif

Honda%20CBR1100XX%2098.jpg

I put 30k on a '99 Blackbird. I like the 'Busa much more. More power, less weight, better brakes, handling, and at 6'2", I also find the 'Busa more comfortable. I also found my 'Busa to be much more reliable. No issues with the Suzuki, while I had several annoying problems with the Blackbird, which I also bought new.

The busa probably is a much better bike than the Blackbird could ever dream of, but I really dig the looks of that Honda. Plus it was the speed king, taken from the Kawi, when I was just a young teenager reading bike magazines, so that's probably why I have a soft spot for it.

I sold my ZX-11D when I bought the CBR-XX. I, and lots of owners had camchain tensioner problems, voltage regulator issues, the linked brakes were terrible. The list of issues goes on.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade, that bike was just a sore spot with me. It was the one bike I never had second doubts about selling.

Hey 02SE - I need some new tires on the Busa real soon, so what's a good set to go with these days for the 1st Gen Busas - I've out of the bike loop for awhile. I put some Bridgestone Battleaxes on it last time, but that was a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Hey 02SE - I need some new tires on the Busa real soon, so what's a good set to go with these days for the 1st Gen Busas - I've out of the bike loop for awhile. I put some Bridgestone Battleaxes on it last time, but that was a long time ago.

It's hard to find a truly bad tire these days as long as you're using reputable brands. The old BT56J wasn't that great of a tire, back in '99, IMO. It put me off of using Bridgestones for many years.

What kind of riding do you anticipate doing?

If you plan to just cruise with no extreme demands on traction, the modern Sport-touring tires are really pretty good. They can quickly be overheated if riding around a race track at a Trackday, but cruising public roads they do surprisingly well.

Current good options are:

Pirelli Angel GT
Michelin Pilot Road 4
Bridgestone T30 EVO

There are other Sport-Touring tire options, but I have limited experience with them.

For a all-around street sport tire some good options are:
Bridgestone S21
Michelin Pilot Power 3
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Dunlop Q3

There are more performance focused but still street legal tires which give great grip on warm days, but are not the best option for cooler temps or more relaxed riding, or extended tire mileage.

Bridgestone RS10
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa

Are a couple I've tried and liked.

I've currently got a set of the Bridgestone RS10's on the Busa, and the S1000RR. They have very good grip, but won't win any Iron Butt awards.

Last edited:
The best all around street sport tire I have used so far is the Metzeler M7. They are sticky right out of the box, warm up quickly, have a fast turn in and great stability. They seem to last a little longer than some other sport tires. I have a set of Bridgestone S21's on right now and they seem just as good so far. I just don't know yet if they will last as long. Rocky Mountain ATV or Competition Accesories will probably have the best prices for whatever you decide to use.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Do not fear Shinko.

All of the Shinko's I've tried have been mediocre. Their biggest selling point is being cheap.

They do have a Drag Radial that is good for that one purpose, but it's also mediocre if riding the twisties is on the agenda.

I agree. And yet, I've seen many people try.

Here's the deal: If price is your only consideration when riding on the public roads, then a set of Shinko tires is probably the way to go. If you want better performance from your tires in all aspects, there are much better options.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
What kind of riding do you anticipate doing?

If you plan to just cruise with no extreme demands on traction, the modern Sport-touring tires are really pretty good. They can quickly be overheated if riding around a race track at a Trackday, but cruising public roads they do surprisingly well.

Current good options are:

Pirelli Angel GT
Michelin Pilot Road 4
Bridgestone T30 EVO

There are other Sport-Touring tire options, but I have limited experience with them.

For a all-around street sport tire some good options are:
Bridgestone S21
Michelin Pilot Power 3
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Dunlop Q3

There are more performance focused but still street legal tires which give great grip on warm days, but are not the best option for cooler temps or more relaxed riding, or extended tire mileage.

Bridgestone RS10
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa

Are a couple I've tried and liked.

I've currently got a set of the Bridgestone RS10's on the Busa, and the S1000RR. They have very good grip, but won't win any Iron Butt awards.

Thanks for the info 02SE. Dang ... lots of options in the tire world. I don't ever plan on doing any track days - the Busa is too porky for that - but I do ride fast and lean it down pretty far at times when in the twisty back roads.

So of all those options above, which one would you choose? I'm assuming the tires out there are still available in the old Busa tire sizes, which are 120/70-17 front and 195/50-17 rear. I have been running a 200/50-17 rear, but could go back to the 190/50-17 if that's what it takes to get a matched set of tires.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
The best all around street sport tire I have used so far is the Metzeler M7. They are sticky right out of the box, warm up quickly, have a fast turn in and great stability. They seem to last a little longer than some other sport tires. I have a set of Bridgestone S21's on right now and they seem just as good so far. I just don't know yet if they will last as long. Rocky Mountain ATV or Competition Accessories will probably have the best prices for whatever you decide to use.

I'll put those on my options list too ... thanks SlipperyPete.

I just went to Competition Accessories website and they have some nice match sets of tires to chose from ... they look like there are many in the 20/70-17 + 190/50-17 matched sets. http://www.compacc.com/tires-package-deals

Thanks for the advice on where to buy if these guys have good prices will probably mail order them instead of buying locally at the shops which seem to be high priced.

Competition Accessories has a Shinko 009 Raven tire package in 120/70-17 + 200/50-17 for $170. Where are these tires made? ... never heard of them before. Not sure if any 200/50-17 will fit ... the Bridgestone did, but it might depend on the tire brand on actual physical size vs tire size stamped on the sidewall.

Shinkos are made in Korea. Shinko bought all the old Yokohama equipment and molds when they decided to exit the moto tire business. So in a way you are getting Korean Yokohamas. Good tires are a really good pricepoint.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Shinkos are made in Korea. Shinko bought all the old Yokohama equipment and molds when they decided to exit the moto tire business. So in a way you are getting Korean Yokohamas. Good tires are a really good pricepoint.

Yeah, that deal I posted above for $170 is super cheap for a matched set. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but if they are a pretty decent tire then it's a good deal. I'll spend up to around $250 for a good set.

They also show a matched set of Shinoko in 120/70-17 + 190/50-17 (my OEM sizes) for $154.

Atleast on cruisers I can say the Shinkos don't last long though. The compounds seem to be pretty soft. Good for grip, but bad for longevity.

Continental use to be really good tires ... wonder how they are these days. This looks like a nice set, good price.
http://www.compacc.com/p/continental-conti-motion-sport-touring-radial-z-rated-package-specials

These tire set deals Competition Accessories has going are good deals ... need to pick one of these and order them up. Most of these sets are in my sized too. I see they have free shipping.
thumbsup2.gif

02SE ... good deal for these Pirelli Diablo Rosso II? $256 for a set in Busa sizes.
http://www.compacc.com/p/pirelli-diablo-rosso-2-tires-package-specials

Or would the Michelin Pilot Power be better? ... both sets are the same price.
http://www.compacc.com/p/michelin-pilot-power-motorcycle-tires-z-rated-package-specials

I have a Shinko on the back of my Burgman...it handles well (the limit is still clearance, not grip) and is just as stable as the OE Bridgestone. Yes, it is made in Korea.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Competition Accessories has a Shinko 009 Raven tire package in 120/70-17 + 200/50-17 for $170. Where are these tires made? ... never heard of them before. Not sure if any 200/50-17 will fit ... the Bridgestone did, but it might depend on the tire brand on actual physical size vs tire size stamped on the sidewall.

The 009's aren't bad tires. I used a set on a Tiger 1050. The only thing I didn't like about them was the slow turn in due to their round profile, but they are a sport touring tire so that is to be expected. They last a long time. I can't remember the mileage I got out of them, but the rear went over 10k on the Tiger. I didn't have a problem with them spinning, but you might with the power your bike makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back