Chevy Cruze startup rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 Chevy Cruze with 1.4 liter non turbo engine. I run Mobil One 5 w 30 EP and an AC Delco oil filter, changed once a year. If the car sits for 3 or 4 days, I get a momentary rattle upon startup. I think the rattle is due to oil draining down. Would a 0 w 30 synthetic help minimize the rattle by flowing to the engine faster? I doubt that the rattle will affect longevity, but, it is just annoying to me.

Thank you in advance for any advice :)

The Malibu in my signature does this too. It's brief and only if it sits more than a day. It is a cartridge filter car so no control over ADBV or anything like that.

Last edited:
If the bypass and drain back mechanism are native to the motor the filter type shouldn't matter unless it has a massive Delta-P across it, which I don't see.

Look at the engine displacement again on the sticker under the hood. All 1.4L Chevy Cruzes have a turbo. The 1.8 doesn't have a turbo.

Yep, probably oil draining as you said. It should be able to hold oil for 3 or 4 days though. May be worth a trip to the dealer! I was recently out of town for 8 days, my Accord sat entirely for those 8 days, as well as the Uplander 3.5...neither made any fuss upon start up, quiet at always.

Some ecotec engines 2004-2007 use an updated chain tensioner. With the old tensioner my car would sometimes rattle on start up. The rattle would be very buzzy and loud for about one second and it would shut off very abruptly like a light switch. The new updated tensioner relies more on spring tension than oil pressure.

I have a 2012 with the 1.8 and yea it sometimes makes all kinds of noises when you start it up. I think it is the cam phasers or something. I doubt it is causing any damage, and I doubt you'll fix it with a different oil or filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back