VW G 055 540 A2 Compatible ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for an alrenative that does not cost $25 a quart. This is for the Gen 2 09G transmissions made by Aisin. Half thinking here to use MaxLife with Lubegard Platinum as recommended on the LG fluid conversion chart.

Thanks

It's an Aisin transmission, and I think that spec is the same as Toyota's WS. You can probably use Maxlife with no problems
smile.gif

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/automatic-transmission-fluid-1-liter.html?3593=530431

http://www.blauparts.com/blau-news/20150409-new-product-vw-transmission-fluid-atf-g-055-540-a2

Other Ravenol T-WS ATF Specifications:
-Aisin Warner Automatic Gearbox ab 2008
-Audi/VW G 055 540 A1
-Audi/VW G 055 540 A2
-Audi/VW G 055 540 A6
-VOLVO 31256774
-VOLVO 31256775
-VOLVO 31256776
-Toyota 08886-02305
-Toyota 00289-ATFWS
-Toyota 08886-81210
-Toyota JWS3324
-Lexus JWS3324

Looks like it takes WS. Stop at a Toyota dealer and negotiate for the best price. I got a case for $6.90/litre

I was wondering the same thing as OP when I changed my ATF. I ended up just buying the OEM fluid though. Would be curious to see if the Toyota fluid is as good.

Valvoline's Maxlife and their multi vehicle import ATF carry the same VW approvals.

The MVI is just a bit more thicker and closer to the correct viscosity IIRC. This (combined with cheap dealer 'Yoda T-IV) is what kept me from using Maxlife in her Volvo.

Sadly, the MVI is only sold at parts stores and more money though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Valvoline's Maxlife and their multi vehicle import ATF carry the same VW approvals.

The MVI is just a bit more thicker and closer to the correct viscosity IIRC. This (combined with cheap dealer 'Yoda T-IV) is what kept me from using Maxlife in her Volvo.

Maxlife ATF doesn't carry any approvals just suitable for. From there website:

Suitable for use in:

Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications GM DEXRON®@II, DEXRON®@III and DEXRON®@VI applications Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications Mitsubishi Diamond SP@II and SP@III applications Hyundai/ KIA SP@II, SP@III, SP@IV and SPH@IV applications Subaru ATF and ATF@HP applications Toyota/Lexus Type T, T@III, T@IV and WS Honda/Acura ATF@Z1 (except in CVTs) applications Allison C4 and TES@389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41 Volkswagen TL52162

VW G 055 540 A2 is a newer spec designed for the new 09g gen 2 transmission. I can't imagine that these 10 year old formulations such as MaxLife and Toyota WS are completely suitable. That's why I went with the OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
VW G 055 540 A2 is a newer spec designed for the new 09g gen 2 transmission. I can't imagine that these 10 year old formulations such as MaxLife and Toyota WS are completely suitable. That's why I went with the OEM fluid.

You might be right I like you always buy the OEM ATF. I don't get saving on the fluid on such a important and expensive part of your car.

It's an Aisin transmission. Aisin is a partly owned by Toyota. Japanese transmissions usually aren't demanding in regards to special fluids. Aisin supplies transmissions to many different automakers. The WS standard was designed for most modern Aisin transmissions and is a Japanese standard spec JWS 3324 (WS is just Toyota's name for this standard)

The only big ATF development in the past 10 years has been with DCT's, which didn't exist 10 years ago. Toyotas still use WS.

Maxlife will be fine
smile.gif

I know all about Aisin. But this transmission just came out in 2014, at least in VW's. And it came out with a new ATF from VW as well. Why would they make a new fluid if the 10 year old stuff is fine?

I also disagree with your assessment of AT's. They are under more stress than ever with additional gears, higher torque requirements and lower viscosity fluids.

I have found that many websites list the incorrect fluid for this transmission, I guess because it's new. So, I don't fully trust what Ravenol is stating. And there is a valvoline pdf out there which states they do not have an ATF for this transmission currently.

I know all about Aisin. But this transmission just came out in 2014, at least in VW's. And it came out with a new ATF from VW as well. Why would they make a new fluid if the 10 year old stuff is fine?

I also disagree with your assessment of AT's. They are under more stress than ever with additional gears, higher torque requirements and lower viscosity fluids.

... and those lower viscosity fluids came out 10 years ago! They did NOT make a new fluid; they simply used WS/3325. VW had to give it its own spec number, but it is the same or very close. Every recent Aisin automatic transmission uses that same fluid.

While individual specs may be slightly different (WS/3325, Dexron VI, Mercon LV, etc), they are close enough to make one fluid that meets all of them.

Ravenol is a reputable German company. You can use their products for whatever they recommend them in with confidence.

Knowing that WS will work in your car, you can simply look for Toyota WS or 3325 on the bottle, and it will be OK. It's probably how Ravenol got the name for their product, T-WS
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Maxlife ATF doesn't carry any approvals just suitable for. From there website:

Suitable for use in:

Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications GM DEXRON®@II, DEXRON®@III and DEXRON®@VI applications Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications Mitsubishi Diamond SP@II and SP@III applications Hyundai/ KIA SP@II, SP@III, SP@IV and SPH@IV applications Subaru ATF and ATF@HP applications Toyota/Lexus Type T, T@III, T@IV and WS Honda/Acura ATF@Z1 (except in CVTs) applications Allison C4 and TES@389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41 Volkswagen TL52162

"Suitable for".. Such hair splitting verbiage.

What exactly is the difference besides Valvoline covering their rear in the event of a transmission failure?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

... and those lower viscosity fluids came out 10 years ago! They did NOT make a new fluid; they simply used WS/3325. VW had to give it its own spec number, but it is the same or very close. Every recent Aisin automatic transmission uses that same fluid.

While individual specs may be slightly different (WS/3325, Dexron VI, Mercon LV, etc), they are close enough to make one fluid that meets all of them.

Ravenol is a reputable German company. You can use their products for whatever they recommend them in with confidence.

Knowing that WS will work in your car, you can simply look for Toyota WS or 3325 on the bottle, and it will be OK. It's probably how Ravenol got the name for their product, T-WS
smile.gif

What proof do you have that Toyota WS is the same as VW G 055 540 A2?

Just out of curiousity how is the Havoline multi atf working for you? Does your car shifts better after change? Thanks!

I'm using 1qt Havoline Dex VI + 1oz Lubegard Platinum as a substitute for VW G 055 005 A2 in my ZF 6HP19.

2,500 miles now and the transmission shifts better than ever. I went through two full cases (24qt) to do a complete flush when I switched. Note that the 6HP is sensitive to fluid, yet no problems noted. In fact, what little torque converter shudder I had is completely gone.

I would not hesitate to use it as a substitute for G 055 540 A2. (Toyota WS)

Thanks for the feed back! Mine is the 09G that requires G 055 540 A2 and dealer is asking $24 a qt which will break my bank if i do a 12qt flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back