Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector

I'd also like to try HDMP as undercoat. I understand that the HDMP dries to a waxy thin film & can protect the undercarriage from salt & water, but how does it hold up against road debris? Is it easily penetrated if using it on wheel wells where they constantly get hit with debris / small rocks etc?

I have a 16+ years old car on the east coast, and rust has been slowly developing. I heard that rubberized undercoats aren't ideal as they trap moisture against the metal underside?

Might as well bump this thread, rather than start a new one.

How bad is the smell? Would I hate myself if I sprayed inside? If I spray this stuff onto a car outside, then garage it, am I going to hate myself? I’ve used FF before, both in spray can and with a sprayer, so that is my reference.

Well, will the wife hate me? I think we have a new car coming, and TBH I don’t think FF is cutting it. I’m not looking to go crazy on undercoating as I just don’t think we are going to own past 10yr/200k. But I recognize that there may be value in spritzing something to stave off the inevitable. Or maybe not, if we are 10yr or less & done.

How bad is the smell? Would I hate myself if I sprayed inside? If I spray this stuff onto a car outside, then garage it, am I going to hate myself? I’ve used FF before, both in spray can and with a sprayer, so that is my reference.

Well, will the wife hate me? I think we have a new car coming, and TBH I don’t think FF is cutting it. I’m not looking to go crazy on undercoating as I just don’t think we are going to own past 10yr/200k. But I recognize that there may be value in spritzing something to stave off the inevitable. Or maybe not, if we are 10yr or less & done.
It smells for a while, it will eventually go away. In a garage it will take longer than a vehicle which is kept outside. Spraying inner door panels will keep the smell around even longer. Been there done that, but unfortunately that's the price you pay with that type of product. It does work well if you touch up and re-coat when needed.

It'll potentially make it easier to remove bolts, since the threads will be protected from corrosion.

I once had a lot of time and went through a new family car and removed every bolt I could easily get to on the undercarriage and treated them with a neverseise compound. I figured a few evenings doing this will save many hours of grief when the car needs repair after a number of years. Rusted bolts are a horrible fact of life here in Michigan, and easily triples the time spent on a repair.

I've done the same, but other than wheel bolts I haven't needed to undo any in 8 years/ 100k miles. If I hadn't done it, I bet I'd be under there every other weekend though.

consider a zinc spray? it won't matter if the coating isn't 100%, and can't get thinner or smell free than that.

NH oil ha very little to no smell and has worked well so far for me

Anyways, here are more recent threads on the topic in question here.

Last edited:
Back