Update on the Focus-TCM replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just an update, I'm a couple thousand miles and a month on, and things were going well until this morning. Transmission started acting up, using only 2,4, and 6th, rough and erratic shifting, lack of power, starting in 2nd gear, clutchus randomly disengaging while driving. After turning it off and on and driving it for a few minutes it went away, but the CEL stayed lit. Took it to the dealer and explained about the repairs made last month. Turns out the TCM is bad, good news is that this is a known issue, and Ford extended the TCM warranty to 10y/150k. So the dealer is replacing the TCM for me right now. Fairly painless at least. The TCM, clutches, and actuators were carried over from the old trans when it was replaced, so it's still the factory one.

That being said, the dealer is also a Mazda dealer, so while killing time I was looking at the new Mazda3. They have a really nice red one, a 2.0L Automatic, made in Japan. That susprised me, I thought all 2.0s were being made in Mexico now, and only the 2.5s made in Japan. Has the options I'd want too. Oh well, maybe in another year or two when I have some more miles on the Focus. Should be nearing 100k in another 2 years or so, if not more.

Will update if anything else comes up after the TCM replacement

Ya we do a bunch of the TCMs. The clutches were on intergalactic backorder for a while, but they have started trickling in. Now the seal kits we need to put in with the clutches are on backorder.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
That being said, the dealer is also a Mazda dealer, so while killing time I was looking at the new Mazda3.

You had a pretty good run with the Focus, don't lapse back into the old trading in habits on us now.
grin.gif

Well, that's if the Focus stays trouble free after Ford fixes it.

you couldnt give me a DCT focus..,well ok if it was tax free.
The manual 3cyl ecoboost model is great.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Find out how much they would give you for a trade in to get that Mazda3.

trade in for anything really

I was one of the people who mocked you for being so quick to change-up cars the minute you didn't like one, but I'll be honest, if I was in your shoes, I'd ditch the Focus ASAP...you do a lot of commuting, and it sounds like it is going to become one problem after another.

That Mazda 3 sounds nice; and new Mazda's are much more reliable cars than new Fords...

The new Chevy Cruze looks nice and is built in Lordstown, OH. Maybe worthy of consideration.

Come spring and tax return season, I'll probably be taking another look at trading it in.I'll have had it 4 years by then, and likely at least mid 80s, so it could be time. Not right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back