Cub Cadet Transmission Belt Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Cub Cadet RZT S42 (Zero Turn). This mower has the electric unit for engaging the deck belt. Yesterday, the transmission belt came off while I was mowing. This is not covered in the owner's manual. Does anyone know a SIMPLE way to get the transmission belt back on the pulley, without taking the mower apart? Thanks for your help.

I'm not familiar with your particular rider but in general, you need to lower the deck all the way down to the lowest setting. Then set the parking brake and that should loosen the tensioner on the drive belt.

Crawl up under there with a flashlight and you should be able to figure out the routing get it back on. Good luck!

The belt shouldn't come off while it's mowing. Since it's new I'd have the dealer find out why it came off.

The key was setting the parking brake to relieve the tension on the belt. I can't believe I did not think of that! I also can't believe there is nothing in the owner's manual about it.

You are right, the belt should not come off, but a stick, rock or other foreign object can make its way up to the pulley and knock the belt off. But, you are also right, if it happens again, it is going back to the dealer.

Thank you for your replies!

Wondering what throttle position you have unit set at when engaging electric clutch.

I was told to always be at full throttle when engaging the electric clutch. Is that correct?

When I threw the transmission belt, I was moving through a narrow gate, slowly, at reduced power, with the blades engaged.

From Scag owner manual. Set the throttle 3/4 speed. Do not attempt to engage the deck drive at high speed as it shortens the electric clutch life-use only moderate engine speed when engaging the deck drive. My JD manual also written same way. I always engage about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle no load running it up to WOT I do believe it is easier on the clutch in long run. It's just a tip and not a Cub Cadet but I can not believe it wouldn't be the same.

Wingman, sorry to hear about your issues on a new machine. It happens.

Belt routing on the EZT or ZT series drive equipped Cubs is really simple. Some have a single idler/tensioner like I linked to below and some use dual idlers, one near each hydro sheave. The system is under tension at all times. You don't typically hear of issues with the transmission drive belts on these. I know I've never had to work on one and owned a Cub Z-Force ZTR for a few years.

2009-09-29_172449_9-29-2009_10-20-58_AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back