VW Amarok Dexos 2 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2011 vw amarok with the 2 litre 132kw diesel engine. I took it to a mechanic to have a service and afterwards inquired into what oil he used, he said dexos 2 by ac delco. The owners manual specs a vw 507 compatible oil and all the information I can find is that dexos 2 is not vw 507 compatible. The mechanic continues to insist that dexos 2 is fine for a vw amarok despite it not meeting the vw 507 standard. Is there any truth to this?

welcome2.gif

Although dexos2 is a diesel oil, VW has very specific requirements as you alluded to. I would go elsewhere from now on for my service if he cannot understand your concern. Since you are probably out of warranty, i wouldn't be to concerned with a short oci, but i definately wouldn't keep it in there for the maximum allotted VW oci.

The car is still under a used car warranty and one of the conditions of the warranty is that I get it serviced at a motor trade association certified mechanic,which his shop is. Just wanted to know if I am being unaware and unintentionally an arsehole by questioning him about this, as I am not a mechanic. I am trying to get him to replace the oil with a compliant oil (AC Delco Premium Euro 5W-30) which meets vw507 spec and i will happily pay the difference between the two but he keeps saying that the oils is suitable and that he has had a "chemist" from BP examine the oil and say that the oil is suitable. He has told me that the oil rep who sells him the product says the oil "exceeds the specification of the product your vehicle requires" and I just wanted to know is there any truth to these claims.

Those used car warranties that tie you down to 5,000km services aren't really worth the paper that thye are printed on.

Legally, they are a conditional insurance policy rather than a warranty, and failure to get the oil changed at 5,000km invalidates a gearbox issue IIRC.

Get him to provide you documentary evidence (even a Product Data sheet) that the oil that he has installed complies with the required specs.

If his rep has that information, then get him to get that rep to provide something in writing, addressed to you to that effect...not sure what a BP chemist has to say about AC Delco being legit either.

If you really want to razz him, ask him for the phone number of both his BP chemist and his sales rep.

Originally Posted By: yiyr
he keeps saying that the oils is suitable and that he has had a "chemist" from BP examine the oil and say that the oil is suitable.

That right there pegs my you-know-what meter. He's talking out of his backside, guaranteed.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: yiyr
he keeps saying that the oils is suitable and that he has had a "chemist" from BP examine the oil and say that the oil is suitable.

That right there pegs my you-know-what meter. He's talking out of his backside, guaranteed.

This^ and what UG_Passat and Shannow said. I know of no AC Delco that is VW507 approved. "Compatible" is not an approval.

I expect the oil will cause no problems whatsoever. I would run it and not question it. However it does sound like the mechanic is making stuff up so I would probably look for a new one.

Well if I ever made the strange decision to get a VW I would ask Edyvw, Quattro Pete, Shannow, Wemay and others on here first about oil selection before any mechanic. No disrespect meant to mechanics who are very knowledgeable about oils. But some just are not. I had one "claimed" mechanic argue with me about some welfare food stamp brand oil was ok to run in cars or tractors. Well the Petroleum Quality Institute test show was CLEARLY inferior and not worth running in ANYTHING. Ohh and this mental midget argued with me about whether or not my car had a timing chain in it. He really thought it didn't have one. It does. Clearly stated in my owners manual. If this Champion was a mechanic I wouldn't of had him work on a toy Tonka truck much less my car.

Ohh and like others have noted
welcome2.gif

Why can so many other manufacturers make long lasting, powerful and reliable engines without manufacturer specific oil specification, yet VW needs a host of different special oils? Why do people put up with this?

Which is likely to last longer, a Honda engine using "SN" oil, or a VW engine using whatever this year's special brew is?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Why can so many other manufacturers make long lasting, powerful and reliable engines without manufacturer specific oil specification, yet VW needs a host of different special oils? Why do people put up with this?

Which is likely to last longer, a Honda engine using "SN" oil, or a VW engine using whatever this year's special brew is?

While on your soap box, also remember that the API "SN" tests and procedures are lobbied by the American auto manufacturers, with the specific issues that they have (e.g. LSPI). The Japanese have been lobbying also, (let's say Honda) in changing the TEOST requirements for the 0W20 grade in particular so that their particular penchant for high moly levels "passes" the rules that they helped write.

VW's 2.0 litre CR TDI is a very advanced engine. Just as any other European or Japanese diesel or turbo petrol. How many of these are sold in US?

So, essentially you are comparing 2.0 or 2.5 naturally aspirated Honda with turbo CR diesel that puts DOUBLE the torque of Honda. Also Euro turbo diesel WILL make MORE kilometres / miles IF maintained as advised.

Now you point us to a Japanese or American engines (outside of Lexus, US V8s) that do not overly consume oil, and do not puff blue on start. On ridiculously low OCIs.

What are those "advance" engines that do not need "special" oils?
3.5ltr V6 in Toyota Camry that is less advance then 1995 BMW inline 6?
Honda V6 that just now got DI, 12 years after VW and 18 years after Volvo and Mitsubishi (1.8GDI available in Europe only)?
IDK, name some other engine?
By the way, Japanese manufacturers have very advance diesels and gasoline engines in Europe, and trust me, they have their own specific oils.
Or maybe they should o same like FORD with Ecoboost to please average American driver that think that cars are constitutional right and should fix themselves, just to find out that FORD changed twice already recommendation because of issues caused using thin oils.

edyvw,

Originally Posted By: edyvw
By the way, Japanese manufacturers have very advance diesels and gasoline engines in Europe, and trust me, they have their own specific oils.

Can you name some please? I live in Europe and I am not sure any of the Japanese brands recommend anything beyond ACEA or ILSAC oils here. If it is not the case I would love to find out.

Last edited:

Which Honda diesel engine in the US are you referring to?

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
edyvw,

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Can you name some please? I live in Europe and I am not sure any of the Japanese brands recommend anything beyond ACEA or ILSAC oils here. If it is not the case I would love to find out.

As far as I know all Japanese diesels are running ACEA c3 currently and since my brother has 2004 Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D it is also specd. specifically for ACEA A3/B3 B4 5W40 oil. It is far away from approach Japanese manufacturers have in the U.S. where for example 2011 Honda Pilot with VCM dealership asks you do you want mineral, semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil which is also 5W20 grade. In EU as far as I know Honda's are running at least on ACEA A1/A5 and 5W30 at minimum while as far as I remember ACEA A3/B3 B4 was recommended for majority of their fleet not long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back