200,000 First Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lubener
That black slime that collects in the pan is sludge.

It's clutch material and it collects on the magnet.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Originally Posted By: Lubener
That black slime that collects in the pan is sludge.

It's clutch material and it collects on the magnet.

I've seen it on the magnet and the bottom of the pan in a few cars over the years.

A simple drain and fill every 500+ miles for a slow, gentle clean. Three of those should do it. This is why Honda recommends drain and fills over flushes. With the many small internal passages in some of their cars they didn't want a small particle clogging up the unit. After the dealer replaced the rear main seal on the Accord I noticed a delay in the first to second shift. Took it back and they agreed surprisingly. They did a drain and fill which solved the issue. Sold the car 100k miles later.

Do a slow, gentle clean in stages....eventually changing most of the fluid over several months. Start with the pan drop and filter to get rid of the heaviest sludge, metal and clutch material. If you don't have a drain connection, might be helpful to put a new pan on that has one ($20-$40)...making your future drain and refills quite simple.

Do a D&F every few hundred miles - and then drop the pan and swap the filter out.

FWIW, I changed the fluid in a 1996 Camry with 200K+ on it - it was dark. A few fills of SuperTech DexVI worked just fine.

I'd change it out if there is no imminent issues with the transmission. People think changing the ATF is a cure-all for their trans issues and the trans fail after several thousand miles after changing the ATF then blaming the ATF change. When changing the ATF I would also drop and clean the pan and change out the ATF filter as the new ATF could clean out the trans quickly clogging the old filter and causing trans damage.

I've done a pan drop + filter change + complete fluid exchange on a 1991 Nissan Sentra 3spd auto with 190,000mi and had no issues so far.

Last edited:
I just can't believe the stuff that is posted here. Most of it is irrelevant to the op. Some is just dangerous to the car. There is 2, or at best 3 who actually have ever owned a Chrysler minivan. It's just sad.

I would look into a Dorman pan if it is a 41TE, they have a drain plug built in and are cheap like 25$

I would pick up 6 QTS ATF+4, and mopar filter and bring it to the shop. Have them do the filter fluid and install the new pan, mopar grey RTV works great.

Then he can do a another drain and fill and call it good.

I would also change the PS fluid with ATF and the coolant t-stat and all hoses, bet those are neglected too.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I just can't believe the stuff that is posted here. Most of it is irrelevant to the op. Some is just dangerous to the car. There is 2, or at best 3 who actually have ever owned a Chrysler minivan. It's just sad.

Talk about an irrelevant comment.... Just sad..

Last edited:
I think there are some good comments here... shops do not want to be liable for transmissions that fail soon after. And rightly so! The shop would be blamed for something that is not their fault.

I am of the persuasion that a person should change the fluid. But the filter should and the fluid changed as well. I also do not think a partial drain is necessary. I read about one high mileage car that had a slipping transmission. The owner did a total flush at home and cured the slipping.

I am leary about the flushes the oil change places use. It seems they use high pressure? That could lead to problems. The owner that flushed the transmission mentioned above did a flush at home where you disconnect the transmission line from the cooler to the transmission and start the motor. After a few quarts drains out shut off the engine and add a couple quarts. Start the engine and repeat until the fluid is red. No power flush involved here as the transmission's pump is being used to pump out the dirty fluid.

I have a 2006 Grand Caravan. I do not know the year of the van the original poster mentioned, but the owner's manual for mine does not call for a flush unless the van is used for towing or for taxi service. My understanding of the owner's manual is saying is the transmission has a lifetime fill.

My point in mentioning some Dodges may have lifetime fills is to point out 200k miles for a first flush may not be a big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Fair point, but as a counter, you could easily say that the factory engine oil is a lifetime fill as well.

You could just run the factory fill for the life of the engine, albeit, the engine would live a much longer life if you were to Change the oil.

All fluids are by definition lifetime fills if they are never changed.

I'll say, though, at 200,000 miles, you've definitely gotten your dollars worth out of the factory fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back