2014 Yamaha MT09 10,000 Km/6000mi Delo 400 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA.I was curious to see how the oil stands up to the specified 10,000 km OCI and the low operating temp of this engine (69C - 75C)

Hi PaulG,

Nice bike, I like the MT09, I also like Delo 15W-40 as a MC oil.

I think the Delo looked after you fine, given that your Iron numbers are almost the same as the universal averages, yet you went more than twice the average distance.

The oil has sheared or diluted down to a 30 grade. BlackStone say to take the oil further, but I think given the final viscosity you have taken it far enough. I would keep to the factory OCI.

That's my feeling too.I'm happy to do 6000mi OCI's.30 grade is ok as the prime recommendation from Yamaha is a 10W-30 but 15W-40 is listed as acceptable in this climate.Temperature extremes here are 5C to 30C.

yes the 1.8% fuel totally ruins your flash and susvis.

pretty good numbers overall with so much fuel.

you need to figure out why you have so much fuel in the oil.

there is NO reason to try any other oil if this one is cheap for you to purchase.

steve

I have been thinking about possible causes for the fuel dilution.

1. When I took the sample,I warmed the bike from cold at idle (without going for a ride) and drained the oil when it was up to temperature.

2.Most of the riding I do is 75 km trips (46mi) around 50 mins.I'll let the bike warm up for 5 mins from cold then do the 75 km ride then later return repeating the warm up etc.I do this around once a week.The bike runs at around 72 C and I've checked the oil temp with a digital thermometer and the oil temp is the same.

3.These bikes were criticised for jerky on/off throttle action.An owner in Australia had found this to be largely due to the lean fuel air ratio when running in closed loop mode.Closed loop runs A/F at 14.7:1.When the mode switches to open loop the A/F goes to around 13.5:1.The Australian guy developed an electronic device that intercepts the signal from the O2 sensor and tweaks it so the A/F runs at 13.4:1 in closed loop.This makes the throttle response in closed loop far less abrupt.But it does make the mixture much richer in closed loop.

Blackstone commented that the low temperature of the engine may be the reason for the high fuel in the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
your engine warmup for taking the sample was not close to ideal. it needed a ride before hand.

Any suggestion as to how much this would have affected the fuel value?

it is very hard to say how much fuel a ride would removed.
provided you didnt sit and idle.
for all we know all of the fuel could have been from your idle warmup.

Blackstone makes this clear on their site:
Run the engine before you take the sample to get the oil at operating temperature (driving about 20 minutes should do it). Getting the oil up to operating temperature should help cook out any normal moisture or fuel build-up.
Clearly this is not to idle the engine from cold. You should change the oil shortly after an actual trip.
You should also stop warming up your engine in idle before every ride. This is truly a bad habit in every aspect

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back