Are Harbor Freight generator parts easy to get?.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking around for a used generator on line, I found the Harbor freight 6500/5500 watt model, to be a better deal new.So I was wondering how many on here have one, and how is it getting replacement parts?.,,

Ordering parts can take months. They will put your parts on the next container leaving china. Little things like spark plugs and outlets can be bought locally and made to work.

Engine parts, minus crank, are pretty easy. So if you blow a recoil rope or carburetor you're in luck.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
After looking around for a used generator on line, I found the Harbor freight 6500/5500 watt model, to be a better deal new.So I was wondering how many on here have one, and how is it getting replacement parts?.,,

I probably should have given this question some thought before I bought mine, but I haven't had any trouble so far. I have the model you're talking about, and I've been happy with it. Mine has maybe 25 hours on it, running my welders and also running a Bosch electric jackhammer on a jobsite for a couple of days.

In addition to what eljefino said, which is encouraging, it looks they'll sell you a complete engine replacement for $349.99 if that should become necessary.

Buy a Briggs and Stratton model,you can buy parts online or anywhere a genuine [censored] service dealer exists.

Generator engines are slightly different in that they don't have a bearing on the power take off side. Further, the crank snout on a generator is tapered and jams into the generator head; the head has a bearing that is then shared with the motor.

I know HF says their engines make good replacements for generators... just not their own, nor any other modern one. Maybe an ancient one with a belt in the middle.

The only time I called for HFT parts was for a new tool box set I bought from them. It had one mis-matched lock/key set, right out of the box. One call to the 1-800 # on the paperwork that came with the unit, (Bangladesh?) and a new lock set was in my mail box days later.

Last edited:
I tried to get a plastic cover for my $99 generator. Never did show up. I certainly hope they are better today.

If you keep the instructions that come with the machine, they do have a nice "illustrated parts diagram" that will be valuable when trying to order parts.

Harbor freight can be slow in getting parts.
Engine parts, since the are "chondas", are easy to get. Many genuine honda parts will fit or chonda parts can be bought cheap on ebay. Parts for the generator head and electrical panel will be more difficult, some may be common Chinese genset parts, others may be specific to Harbor freight.
As another option, check out Champion power equipment.
Their generators are sold on Amazon, Ebay along with a few models being sold at Gander Mountain and Tractor Supply.
They are made in china but designed in the USA. The company is based out of California. I own their 3500/4000 watt unit that has the 6.5 hp Chonda. I needed a air cleaner cover as I broke mine. I called the phone number in the owners manual and spoke to a person in California. They had the part right there and shipped it right out to me, had it in a few days.
Their customer support is excellent!

Originally Posted By: cronk
Harbor freight can be slow in getting parts.
Engine parts, since the are "chondas", are easy to get. Many genuine honda parts will fit or chonda parts can be bought cheap on ebay. Parts for the generator head and electrical panel will be more difficult, some may be common Chinese genset parts, others may be specific to Harbor freight.
As another option, check out Champion power equipment.
Their generators are sold on Amazon, Ebay along with a few models being sold at Gander Mountain and Tractor Supply.
They are made in china but designed in the USA. The company is based out of California. I own their 3500/4000 watt unit that has the 6.5 hp Chonda. I needed a air cleaner cover as I broke mine. I called the phone number in the owners manual and spoke to a person in California. They had the part right there and shipped it right out to me, had it in a few days.
Their customer support is excellent!

We have the same Champion 3500/4000 Watt generator that we got from Tractor Supply. It got us through Sandy last year and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. I can't say enough good things about it - especially for the price.

Harbor Freight stuff is not built for reliability, durability, longevity, or reputation. It's built to meet a price point, and, like we do with so much in America now, it's not made to be serviced, it's made to be thrown away.

HF stuff is good for light occasional use or to get you out of a situation, but once it breaks, you're on your own.

I have over 300 hrs on one of the 800W 2 stroke genny and it still works great! Just run good oil and get rid of the OE sparkplug.

Last week I bought their 3200/4000w genny and its build quality seems very good. Starts on 1 pull. Made in Taiwan I believe... Definatly a step up frpm China in my book.

Well a bit of a bump, but was searching for a plug and found this topic on BITOG.

What do you recommend for a non-original plug for these? I can't find any sort of cross reference.

I'm amazed that this thing starts on the first pull. I use it to run a 25A battery charger to keep my camper batteries charged from running the refrigerator. It's quite quiet as well; if it is behind the camper I can barely hear it on the other side of the camper. It will run the 25A battery charger and the refrigerator at the same time, even. And it's light and small for my mini-popup.

Really a cool little unit!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well a bit of a bump, but was searching for a plug and found this topic on BITOG.

What do you recommend for a non-original plug for these? I can't find any sort of cross reference.

Probably a Champion RN9YC (or brand of your choice) assuming it's a 212cc engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Mine is 63CC

Assuming it's the ~800watt 2-stroke cheapy, NGK BP6ES or flavor of your choice. I like NGK for 2-strokes. I've got one of these little gens too. It's even got the OEM "Torch" plug in it yet.

That's the one! I have the OEM torch plug in too. Only had one problem. After a long day of driving to PA with no exhaust I was tired and couldn't get the generator to start. After playing with it for what seemed like an hour, I realized the reason it wasn't getting fuel was because I shut the fuel off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back