Oil/ filter recommendations for 2007 FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for advice on oil and filters for my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4.0L V6, 1GR-FE, 77200 miles). It's a daily driver, primarily short trips, 2 miles or less, on average and maybe 15 miles a day. I'm not generally an aggressive driver. I live in Casper WY so the weather ranges from subzero in the winter to upper 90s in the summer. Toyota recommended 5w-30 though an allowance was made for 10w-30 if necessary. They also recommend an OCI of 5k miles or 6 months; with my limited driving, 5000 miles seems reasonable. The oil cap mentions API SL certification. Mechanically speaking, no engine worries that I know of.

I know lots of people seem to like Mobil 1 in their Toyotas but I haven't been a fan of their 5w-30 since my WRX. Currently, it has Castrol Edge 5w-30 and a Bosch Distance+ 3330 filter. I'm looking for protection and durability ad I'm hoping this will be my last vehicle for a while. I'd consider conventional or synthetic, probably just not the boutique oils. Any thoughts?

Steve

In winter a 0w or 5w-30. Maybe 10w-30 for summer. I use M1 and a Fram Ultra filter in my 4.0 Jeep. Fairly short runs. No milk under my oil fill cap.

My dad has a 2007 FJ Cruiser, 110k miles. He's usually had the dealer do the oil changes every 7-8k miles with conventional. I changed it last year and it was still really folder in color, nice and clean.

I used Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Fram Ultra filter. Been about 10k miles so he's due. He short trips but does get it out on the highway on long trips too

Go into the oil filter section on here and do some research on Purolator filters. They've been tearing. Purolator makes Bosch oil filters.

Oil - Pennzoil Platinum or Havoline ProDS
Filter -
Fram XG3614 or Motorcraft FL-910S , if you have room Fram XG3600 or Motorcraft FL-400S.

Last edited:
I used to run a Motorcraft FL400s on that engine family but most filters will do fine just fine. it's not a finicky engine at all. Although I am running mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in my 2010 FJ right now, I have been looking at Castrol Magnetec closely. For your model year the Magentec 5w30 would be a nice economical choice for your short tripping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
FRAM XG3614
Sorry Merk I can't hear you. What filter should he use?

crackmeup2.gif

I spent a BUNCH of time on FJ forums when I almost bought one in 2013....from what I read, and what I've experienced in northern MT for the last 4 years, Amsoil 0w30 or any synthetic 0w30 will most definitely work well in the winter. If you have a pan heater then a 5w30 would be fine.

Last edited:
Dangit, timed out. And unless it gets Super cold, a 5w30 synthetic should do the trick.

A 5000 mile/1 year OCI sounds good, whichever comes first, as long as you use a synthetic or semi-synthetic. With all the short tripping you're doing, I'd be a bit more worried about going a full year/5,000 miles if you only used conventional. For filter, I second the Fram XG3614 which you could use for 2 OCI's or 10,000 miles and still have room for error since they're rated to 15K. If you use the oversize XG3600 like I'm getting ready to use, I'd be comfortable going the full 15K before changing the filter, since you have that much more filter media.

Oil- Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
Filter- Can't beat an oem Toyota, I run Motorcrafts on my Tacoma because Toyota filters aren't readily available where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back