ISO 10 as diesel fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello this is my first post on this forum. I would like some advice on running light weight oil as fuel.
I recently acquired 1,000gal of "mold oil". Oil that is sprayed on concrete form molds from a plant that makes concrete fiber siding for homes. The oil is filtered and reclaimed several times.

I was wanting to burn this in a old mechanical injected ford 7.3L IDI.
It would be filtered through four filters;
30 micron
17 micron w water separator
12 micron w water separator
2 micron cat 1R_0749

You might want to take your name, address, email and phone number off of the Blackstone report, but that's just me.
Otherwise, it might be okay to mix with your other fuel.

Thank you both for the quick replies.
It looks like the flash point is quite a bit higher than diesel @350°f I am assuming it will retarded the timing some. The truck is also equipped with a pyrometer to watch EGTs.

Would you guys recommend 50/50 mix in the old girl?

Originally Posted By: Zgrant231
Thank you both for the quick replies.
It looks like the flash point is quite a bit higher than diesel @350°f I am assuming it will retarded the timing some. The truck is also equipped with a pyrometer to watch EGTs.

Would you guys recommend 50/50 mix in the old girl?

I would think 33/66, to avoid issues with the slower burn. But I tend to be conservative, with mechanical things. Good luck.

First off, it's illegal - will you be submitting your road tax on the 1000 gallons?

Beyond that, it will likely cause a lot more soot. So you would need to cut it appropriately, if not just with diesel, then perhaps with kerosine.

If you're not loading the engine appropriately, you may still soot up the engine. So you'll need to run diesel purge every so often which will negate some of the cost savings.

I'd run it maybe a gallon or two a tank...

JhZR2, as for cost savings im not to concerned with. I'm a bit of a tinkerer and love experimenting with things. Especially this old farm truck.
I am interested in your soot theory, because this truck can high idol around here for hours and never break 1300 rpms. Thanks for the input.
I'll try to batch some in one of her tanks and report back when it comes time to use it off road.

I used up several pails of ISO 10, 15, and 22 hyd oils in my DPF equipped Duramax at 20:1 over several thousand miles.
What I saved in fuel I likely spent on extra re-gens and DEF.

Your Ford should be fine and dandy as long as it starts in cold weather.

I've tried all sorts of alternative fuels in my diesels. Put simply, conventional diesels can do well with light oils.

In my case, I use waste Jet-A and mix it with a heavier oil. Works perfectly. I don't see additional soot or carbon either.

I've even used well filtered waste motor oil. While that worked, it was not ideal. The waste motor oil did result in a touch more power, and I believe, more cylinder wear. After many years, the engine finally had difficulty starting, even with good glow plugs. Disassembly revealed nothing unusual, but compression was low.

just an up date. I have 207 hrs. (prob a few hundred miles) on this mystery light weight ISO oil that ive been mixing a 5 gallon jug of diesel in with about every tank, roughly 1/3rd diesel. RPM between 700- 1200 most of the time feeding, pulling a drag, disk, or moving trailers around. seems to do just fine,

*actually seems to start better with this blend.

* I don't do much road driving with it but I did go down the road in 4th gear a few times and it seems to do just fine.

* engine is noticeably quieter, probably due to retarded timing with lower flash point

* moving the rock Grizzly on the ranch that's close to 20,000lb I noticed that I had to be in a lower (low range) gear. as it didn't seem to have the power as diesel.

* changed the oil @ just over 100hrs. every thing seemed normal. black as heck diesel oil.

* The old IDI hasn't missed a beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back