NAPA ProSelect cut after 2 years in service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a phone call from a friend who asked if he could use my lift to change the oil and filter in his wife's 1998 Plymouth Neon. During its life, this 18-year-old Neon has logged 150K miles -- about 8,500 miles a year. The filter and oil were last changed almost two years ago (don't blame me; it's not my car). The old Neon does suffer from moderate oil drippage, so my friend has been adding about a quart of new oil every couple of months to keep it topped off and make up for drippage.

The Neon had a lowly NAPA ProSelect 21348 filter on it, and I was certain I'd find lots of gunk and sludge within after I cut the filter open. I was surprised to see it look as good as it does. The anti-drainback valve was a bit brittle and maybe a bit distorted. The filter media felt "crispy" to me, but not too bad after two years in service. Even the inside of the can had only a trace of glop at the bottom. I guess adding a dozen quarts of fresh oil between changes kept things fairly clean. Enjoy the pics:

PICT0427_zpsfcabq8rp.jpg

PICT0428_zpsuvnxnu4o.jpg

PICT0429_zpsiqfjmoyz.jpg

PICT0430_zpsbsyuiely.jpg

PICT0435_zpso4xqlanh.jpg

PICT0437_zpspafh94mr.jpg

PICT0438_zpswdutug5a.jpg

2.4 bullet proof engine if you keep oil in them and dont overheat them.

Walmart SuperTech is the same filter now. Either one is good enough for me because I am not going over 5,000 mile oil changes. Thanks for the pictures.

Is the media bent like that from the cut or from the quality of manufacture?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not from the cutter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not from the cutter.

You are correct again, ZeeOSix. The media was not bent by the filter cutter. That's how it looked when I pulled it out of the can. Either it was manufactured like that, or two years of filtering oil on the ol' Neon caused the warping.

All things considered, not terrible. Value/bottom tier filter going two years 8500 miles and it survived. Adbv comments normal for this oci/fci, and media area and type not going to be equivalent to say, the Gold filter. Also thinking a quart of oil every couple months helped too.

And seems this application uses separate dome bypass as opposed to a combo valve? A plus for this NPS application.

Hope your friend has some kind of pan under the engine to catch all the "drippage".

What filter did you replace it with?

As for cutter, it's the Summit as noted. Jegs sold it for same price with free shipping awhile ago but no longer. Also as noted, guide wheels too far apart for many filters, can hits cross bar. It will work hitting bar, but wheels need to be moved closer and/or made bigger. One member did that on his own as shown HERE , nice fix.

Thanks for pics and details.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
All things considered, not terrible. Value/bottom tier filter going two years 8500 miles and it survived. Adbv comments normal for this oci/fci, and media area and type not going to be equivalent to say, the Gold filter. Also thinking a quart of oil every couple months helped too.

And seems this application uses separate dome bypass as opposed to a combo valve? A plus for this NPS application.

Hope your friend has some kind of pan under the engine to catch all the "drippage".

What filter did you replace it with?

As for cutter, it's the Summit as noted. Jegs sold it for same price with free shipping awhile ago but no longer. Also as noted, guide wheels too far apart for many filters, can hits cross bar. It will work hitting bar, but wheels need to be moved closer and/or made bigger. One member did that on his own as shown HERE , nice fix.

Thanks for pics and details.

Yes, this filter has a separate dome bypass, but I doubt it ever kicked in because the filter media appears to be functional. I was expecting a slug of sludge inside the can after two years and likely more that 15K miles (8,500 miles per year average for this car) on a cheapo filter, but it was surprisingly clean.

I don't know if my buddy uses an under-engine pan to catch the constant drippage, but I will make that suggestion to him.

The new filter on the Neon is what my friend had with him. It's a Fram Extra Guard PH3614 installed along with 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil High-Mileage oil. If my friend decides to change the oil and filter again, I will do another cut and post. However, I'm not sure this car can be expected to live for two more years. It's a one-owner vehicle, but has never been garaged and never been properly maintained. I'm amazed that it's still on the road after 18 years of neglect.

Thanks for the bypass info. Not so much whether the bypass opened as much as having a separate dome bypass as opposed to the nitrile combo valve (bypass/adbv) some NPS use. You noted the nitrile adbv somewhat brittle and distorted. Not a huge deal when all it controls is drain back, when bypass included as in combo valve a little more critical if compromised. In this case though, likely wouldn't matter either way.

Vehicle sounds like what they would call a 'hooptie' in this area.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Vehicle sounds like what they would call a 'hooptie' in this area.

I refer to them as "town cars", the kind you don't dare drive too far from town.
whistle.gif

Looks like the jobber NAPA filter did pretty well.

Can't wait to see that OCOD cut after another 2 years and 17,000 more miles.

This looks like a Wix filter to me, not surprised it held up.

AFAIK, all NAPA filters are made by Wix & their oils are supplied by Ashland (Valvoline).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back