round holes vs louvers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about the whole round holes vs louvers in center tubes; if the louver openings increase in size toward the direction of oil returning to the engine do they still inhibit flow rate & volume vs round holes? thanks...

Makes no functional difference, as long as the openings actually exist---unlike one example posted recently.

What do you think of cartridges with NO center tube?

all my stuff uses screw-on filters...no cartridge filters anymore; sold my small bike which used cartridge style filters

Probably doesn't make a difference at the oil volumes a passenger car engine sees.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Makes no functional difference, as long as the openings actually exist---unlike one example posted recently.

What do you think of cartridges with NO center tube?

The center tube will exist as a part of the filter housing. The filter cartridge slides onto that center tube. Our two cars both use that design. Works fine.

Without anyone noticing, Fram has been using louvers in the Cummins and Powerstroke Fram Ultra for some time. These are some of the highest flow oil systems out there. I have a used FU for a Cummins in front of me that has a louvered center tube.

There were complaints about Fram Extra Guards and Cummins engines, but never Fram Ultra. Powerstroke engines have not been suffering either.

It seems the louvers can work well.

If louvers are formed correctly, the total flow area should be more than the design with holes in the center tube.

Any filter company using louvers should really focus on and QA their process of forming the louvers to ensure they are made correctly, because if they are not (ie, closed off) it could become an issue with restricted flow.

DoubleWasp Can you please post some pictures of the louvers in the fram ultra??? Not that i don't believe you but Jay from Fram Claims they don't use louvers and don't plan on changing to them because there is no technical benefit to doing so, His words..

Only an idiot would believe that louvers are more restrictive than holes.....

as long as the openings in all the louvers are greater than the oil inlet hole, there will be no restriction. Seems to me there is at least 3x the openings in the center tube vs the inlet.

The only thing I can predict is perhaps at startup, the oil has less of an efficient path(louvers directing incoming surging oil away from outlet side) but once it hits the filter it gets dispersed.

..and if there was "restriction" the oil would increase in velocity over the media, might be a problem for a "Tearolator".

Last edited:
The purveyor of disinformation about louvers is persistent.
frown.gif

More to the OP's question. The filter manufacturer may be trying to even out the pressure gradient across all the pleats so that all parts of the element see the same delta-p. This may also smooth out oil pump pulsations.

Well formed louvers work and that has been very well established on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Not that i don't believe you but Jay from Fram Claims they don't use louvers and don't plan on changing to them because there is no technical benefit to doing so, His words..

The manufacturing of oil filters can be a cut-throat business. The profit on some oil filters might only be pennies, or possibly a break-even for some numbers. I suspect that the real reason some manufacturers went to louvers is so they don't have to mess with the millions of "donut-holes" that need to be disposed of after punching them out of the sheet metal when making the center tube. You might need an employee with a forklift hauling away a skid of punched metal wafers every couple of hours and then they have to make arrangements to take them to a recycling center. With louvers, there is no need to worry about the cost of the waste... Who knows?
For a person who claims to have run an engine rebuilding shop for decades, me thinks you worry too much about a problem that really shouldn't exist, provided that the filter was manufactured properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back