Oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I live in Ecuador and i have a question for you guys hope you can help me, i have Chevrolet Captiva Sport with a 3.6 V6 engine (LY7), my dealer always told me to change oil every 5.000 Km, but now the say tere is a new policy of GM that says for Captiva's to change every 10.000 km, the oil they always put on the engine is 5w30, im not sure to wait until 10.000 km since now i have 5.000km and oil seems kind of dark, so my questions are:

Since the oil they put is synthetic (Mobil 5w30), its ok to change in an interval of 10.000 km? or that interval not only depends on the type of oil and also the type and age of the engine?

Thanks!!

You might consider 10K miles, depending on the type of driving you do, if it's M1 5-30.

Last edited:
You need to fill with a Dexos1 equivalent to be sure it is up to the task of 10k kms. Was Mobil Super Synthetic or M1? Both are, then, you're fine.

Last edited:
I would follow the oil life monitor, if you have one. Make sure to use any Dexos 1 rated oil and you'll do fine.

Get a UOA to check the state of the oil if you're worried.

In Australia that car, with that engine, is scheduled for servicing every 15,000km or 12 months, so you should be more than fine at 10,000km intervals.

The 3.6 is Direct Injection, so I wouldn't push it out super far. 10k kilometers is only ~6200 miles so that should be about perfect. I wouldn't go much farther than that, however because of the application.

Originally Posted By: ECUADOR4X4
Hi everyone! I live in Ecuador and i have a question for you guys hope you can help me, i have Chevrolet Captiva Sport with a 3.6 V6 engine (LY7), my dealer always told me to change oil every 5.000 Km, but now the say tere is a new policy of GM that says for Captiva's to change every 10.000 km, the oil they always put on the engine is 5w30, im not sure to wait until 10.000 km since now i have 5.000km and oil seems kind of dark, so my questions are:

Since the oil they put is synthetic (Mobil 5w30), its ok to change in an interval of 10.000 km? or that interval not only depends on the type of oil and also the type and age of the engine?

Thanks!!

Yes sir, 10000km is easily accomplished with M1.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I got to this thread too late.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Kuato

I got to this thread too late.
33.gif

How is that? 10000 km is just over 6000 miles. Mobil 1 @ that distance = easy.

Thanks for your answers guys! The fact that the oil is kind of blackish right now (5.000 km) is not an issue? Dealer puts Mobil 1 5w30 so based in your answers is more than fine!

Thanks!

10 mil kilometros con un sintetico bueno como Mobil1 no hay problema ;), que el aceite este oscuro solo quiere decir que el aceite está haciendo lo que se supone que tiene que hacer o sea mantener el motor limpio

Hi, know i'm at 5000 km with 5w30 Mobil1, i' ve checked oil level and is at half so i have to refill to get ok to 10000km, can i refill with 5w30 of different brand than Mobil1? Or it has to be the same?

Thanks!

Doesnt have to be the same but its preferred. When you mix two oils you never know exactly how well the two additive packages will work together. The life of the combined oil could be shorter than either alone.

It won't cause immediate catastrophic damage to top it off with something else, but using the same oil is much preferred. If it's only 1/2 quart low it's nothing to be frantic about if it means a few days to get the right stuff.

Thank for your answers! I dont do much mileage so what would be the time to oil change if not getting to 10000 km? 1 year? 6 months? Thanks!

A 6k km oil is dirt enough to not store a car with it, for more thana few weeks. Now if you're running regularly, you can wait one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back