[Cut Open] Puro PL14610 - Virgin (BLUE, Slotted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PL14610slotsBLUE1.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE3.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE2.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE4.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE5.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE6.jpg

PL14610slotsBLUE7.jpg

If I was to wade back into now 'M&H' Puro waters, it would be with the ONE. IF efficiency spec info right, it's similar to old P1. This one looks ok as far as spacing and pleat formation around media crimp.

I see what looks to be burrs on the outer part of the inlet holes, but not so much on the inner part that's been the discussion of adbv cuts/tears. And the outer part of the inlet holes is covered by another plate.

The OP could note if the inner part feels particularly sharp? How do the louvers look?

Thanks for pics.

Edit. As note, referring topic ONE filter not the Boss subsequently entered above. Makes it confusing.

Last edited:
Man thats bad. I was never a big purolator person and only got them if they were combo'd with some oil. I've been avoiding them actively for a few years and I'm glad. My local Advanced was excited to get these BOSS filters in. I told them I'll stick with my M1 filters until I see a tear down.

Looks like I'm staying with M1 EP filters for awhile.

I don't like the wide pleats at the crimp area. That is known problem area. A quality filter manufacturer would never allow that. That and the burrs tell me all I need to know about Purolator. Stay away.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I see what looks to be burrs on the outer part of the inlet holes, but not so much on the inner part that's been the discussion of adbv cuts/tears. And the outer part of the inlet holes is covered by another plate.

The OP could note if the inner part feels particularly sharp? How do the louvers look?

The ONE is pretty sharp. The slots look fine.

PL14610slotsBLUE9.jpg

Thanks for pics.

You're welcome.

Edit. As note, referring topic ONE filter not the Boss subsequently entered above. Makes it confusing.

Since someone saw fit to muddy the waters ( And I do not appreciate the re-posting/cross posting of my pictures ) as I said in the other thread this filter is sharper than the other one. Curiously the tapping plate design is different between the two filters, but both seal toward the threads and on the raised ring outside the inlet hole on this particular part number.

TappingPLPBL146101.jpg

TappingPLPBL146102.jpg

So I do not believe that this part number could pierce the ADBV, though it could be cut or abraded in use.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I don't like the wide pleats at the crimp area. That is known problem area. A quality filter manufacturer would never allow that. That and the burrs tell me all I need to know about Purolator. Stay away.
Apparently you have missed the same "problem" on a number of Fram products depicted on this site.

It's not necessarily the wide gaps between the pleats that causes the tears. It's the quality of the media. I have seen plenty of wide pleat spacing on orange cans, and they don't tear because the media is better quality. I agree that wide pleat spacing contributes to the tearing, but I do think media quality has more to do with it.

I don't understand why Puro needed to beef up the base plate for the new Boss filters as there has never been a problem with any base plate on any filter as far as I know. What they essentially did was fix what wasn't broke and built in another problem. Maybe they think if it's heavy, people will assume it's a better filter.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
....So I do not believe that this part number could pierce the ADBV, though it could be cut or abraded in use.....

Thanks for the clarification/explanation. My vision is not bad but some apparently have much better vision than mine. I always try to get the OP to give first hand info as opposed to strictly trusting pics. Recent oil reflections in pics a good example.

One thing not noted and something that I thought needed improvement from old P1 was the sealing gasket. Old one narrow especially on some apps and fairly tight tolerance to can. The new one definitely an improvement, wider and thicker. As for seam pleat area, while only use will tell, imo this one looks pretty good, similar to those used on old PL14610 I've used on Hondas and not had an issue. The two adjoining pleats to crimp pleat are relatively narrow in shape. Based on my observation that seems to be the key.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

The ONE is pretty sharp. The slots look fine.

PL14610slotsBLUE9.jpg

Thanks for pics.

You're welcome.

Since someone saw fit to muddy the waters ( And I do not appreciate the re-posting/cross posting of my pictures ) as I said in the other thread this filter is sharper than the other one. Curiously the tapping plate design is different between the two filters, but both seal toward the threads and on the raised ring outside the inlet hole on this particular part number.

TappingPLPBL146101.jpg

TappingPLPBL146102.jpg

So I do not believe that this part number could pierce the ADBV, though it could be cut or abraded in use.

I have coming in a Boss in the Toyota number, same design. Good eye to see the difference in the baseplates. They made the Boss more convex on the inside, and it looks like the adbv height was shortened a little to compensate. Can you verify the height? Does the valve squish down on the outer edge for sealing? It will be a couple years before I finish running the Boss before I could check myself. I don't see any significant burs on the holes that contact the rubber valve. The burs down inside of the holes, from the outer baseplate being pressed into the holes, are rougher than a cob, but those don't touch anything. This design the adbv stays away from the holes pretty good, as was pointed out already. What is seen though is they haven't got their pleat spacing issue corrected, but they do claim they reworked the media on the One, effectively admitting they did have a problem before.

Does the Purolator One have blended media? I can't tell from the pictures if it has any glass fibers.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Apparently you have missed the same "problem" on a number of Fram products depicted on this site.

Yes but frams don't tear all the time like the purolatos.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
...and it looks like the adobe height was shortened a little to compensate. Can you verify the height?....

Good catch on the ADBV, they are different...

More pictures later...

Originally Posted By: BigD1
It's not necessarily the wide gaps between the pleats that causes the tears. It's the quality of the media. I have seen plenty of wide pleat spacing on orange cans, and they don't tear because the media is better quality. I agree that wide pleat spacing contributes to the tearing, but I do think media quality has more to do with it.

BigD1 - +1. I think it is a number of factors combined contributing to early media failures. Wide pleat spacing, weak media, brittle media, not enough media, FCI too long in miles or time, number of severe cold starts, fuel dilution, short tripping, dirty engine conditions, driving conditions, driving habits, bypass valve setting, condensation, filter design, media type and quality, filter age and storage conditions. I am sure the list is just a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back