Tire size questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your speed will read 3% slower than you are actually going. If your speedometer reads 70, you are actually going 72.

Originally Posted By: Blazered
Your speed will read 3% slower than you are actually going. If your speedometer reads 70, you are actually going 72.
Unless your speedo reads high to begin with, as many do. It might come out dead on.

There are decent tires in the correct size 195/70-14, such as the popular General Altimax RT43. Falken also makes the Sincera SN250 in that size. There's also the Kumho Sense.

In fact, more tires are available in the correct size 195/70 than there are in the size 195/75.

How the heck did you know that ?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

How the heck did you know that ?
confused2.gif

There's tire size calculators online, just Google "tire size calculator" and it'll tell you tire size and you can compare 2 sizes.

25g3si1.jpg

I presume this is a 90's Camry or Accord?

It's not that big a difference in terms of fit. It may or may not handle differently.

You'd be going from a wheel diameter of 24.8' to a 25.5'.

For comparison, on my Altimas, the old one had 215/60 R16 and the newer one came with 225/60 R16 or a difference of 26.1' vs. 26.6'. I was surprised how noticable the increase in lean & body roll was when taking a turn or a short ramp quickly.

After a couple of months I wondered if it was just me so I put the case with my drill on the floor in front of the passenger seat and turned left from an off ramp close to my building at just 40km/h. In the car with the 26.1 tire the case would usually wobble & fall on it's side. With the 26.6 setup, it did a backflip and banged the door.

There's also a small increase in nose plowing from strong braking, and a tiny bit more fighting the wheel in crosswinds, and even a slight increase in wind noise from under the car (all of which probably have a minuscule increase on highway fuel consumption)

Generally in my opinion the shorter setup s better for everything except dissipating bumps & pothole jolts.

I wouldn' do tht size unless a front end problem ruined your tires and you need to get a used set because you got cleaned out doing Control Arms, Tierods & Alignmnet and the bigger set is the best thing available on limited funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back