S2000 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: robertcope
The factory recommended 90WT, but apparently that was before the weight specifications changed, so a modern 90WT is supposedly a little thinner than what the factory would have been recommending. That's my understanding, anyhow. I found a chart at some point in the past that indicated this was correct, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

robert

I remember reading something along those lines some years ago when I had my S2K and the consensus was that the 75/110 was a better match spec wise with the OEM SAE 90.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
If you're going to redline it a lot, use redline, joe gibbs amzoil, xw40. Don't use cheapo noisy, ferrousious oils on it.

If he redlines it a lot I'd be more worried about his valve retainers. At this age, he likely has at least one that is cracked.

Last edited:
I have a turbocharged AP2 (2.2L, 8500RPM) . I run M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in the frigid South Florida Winter and M1, 15W-50 in the summer.

I do not have an oil cooler, but I do have accurate oil pressure indication and logging. The oil temp does get high enough in the summer to require a slightly more viscous oil.

UOA results are all OK.

I have a 3mm head gasket to achieve 9 to 1 compression. That head gasket is prone to failure. And I want to run more boost. So, I'm planning on switching to low compression pistons/aftermarket rods and going with an OEM gasket.

I should find out during disassembly, just how well my oil choices have done. I don't expect any issues.

Congrats on the Honda, they're a ton of fun and reliable as roofing hammers as long as you take care of them. I've had my AP1 since 08 and put about 50k on it using mostly pennzoil platinum with minimum oil consumption. From what I've read these engines aren't too picky when it comes to oil and don't seem to require very thick oils either. Search for user Indymac I think, he has an S2000 with a ton of miles, I think he uses amsoil 10-30 for the majority of those miles. Definitely check your valve retainers for cracks, that could ruin your day in a hurry.

Your S and mine have about the same mileage and I run M1 10/40HM. For the trans I run Red Line MT85. For the rear end I run a 50/50 mix of M1 75/90 and M1 75/140. For the oil filter I use a Baldwin B7042 or B202(both are the same size). I have the B202 on my car now and have ran these oil filters on my S for over 100k miles.
Its a big oil filter
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=0

I use this for the trans and rear end, get one for each and mark them so you wont mix rear end lube with the trans fl.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-4-pt-Hand-Sprayer-56HD/100164531
Just add a 2 to 3 feet of clear hose to the end, works great.

ROD
p.s. have fun with your S

Originally Posted By: Swifty
Originally Posted By: robertcope
The factory recommended 90WT, but apparently that was before the weight specifications changed, so a modern 90WT is supposedly a little thinner than what the factory would have been recommending. That's my understanding, anyhow. I found a chart at some point in the past that indicated this was correct, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
robert

I remember reading something along those lines some years ago when I had my S2K and the consensus was that the 75/110 was a better match spec wise with the OEM SAE 90.

robertcope, concur with you.
blush.gif

OP, the Motul 90 falls under SAE90, whether pre-SAE J306 or current.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3999407/Re:_Diaqueen_(now_MZ320345)_SA#Post3999407
Originally Posted By: zeng
The SAE90 spec'ed is NOT the same as 75W90 you'd used when your tcase gone bad.

Quote:
The pre-SAE J306 classification of SAE 90 was split into 2 categories as follows:
a )Current SAE '90' of KV@40*C of 135-165 cSt / KV@100*C of 13.5-18.5 cSt (AGMA 4EP /ISO150);and
b )Current SAE '110' of KV@40*C of 198-242 cSt / KV@100*C of 18.5-24.0 cSt (AGMA 5EP /ISO 220).
Similarly pre-SAE J306 SAE 140 has been split into current SAE '140' and SAE '190'

Quote:
Only Motul 90PA from above numerically falls under SAE '90' -- AGMA 4EP /ISO 150 of KV@40*C of 135-165 cSt.
The rest is a grade lower. One may consider LE 1604/1605 too.
http://lubetechnologies.com/assets/1601-1610-product-info.pdf.

Ended up with Redline MT-90 in the trans by accident
Redline 75w-90 in the rear axle. Ill give the 75-110 a shot next year. Gearbox feels really good when warmed up!

The MT90 will be fine just let it warm up a little before you start to beat on it. It doesn't take long to warm up with less than two qt's in the tranny. You can mix any of the Redline MTL, MT85 and MT90, If the 90 is just to heavy and the 85 not thick enough just mix the two.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back