Where do pets go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
God makes little spirits for animals the same way as he makes sprits for humans. When the animals die, their spirits go back to heaven to be with God. When our lives are over, our spirits go back to heaven to be with God the same way as our pets do and we'll be reunited with our pets and other family members at that time.

I'm glad the moderators on this forum are letting this ride. Life is more than oil and grease, and since many of us are familiar with each other, why not communicate about stuff we care about. As long as we don't attack each other I don't know why anyone would care..... Some may view this as naive or ridiculous, but we all have the right to believe what we want, at least in this country.

I lost my German Shepherd a few years ago and still think of her. The best and smartest dog I've ever met. She was very intuitive and expressive, and was able to read my feelings better than any human.

I think we as humans have an innate concern regarding what happens when we or our loved ones die, whether they be family, friends, or animals. I don't expect to have consciousness or an existence after I die. I'm OK with that...... I had my season in the sun, lived my existence as I wanted to live it, and hopefully made other people's lives a little easier.

All through history we've wanted to believe in something after death. My personal belief is that since we consider ourselves more intelligent than the other animals, and can visualize our death, the mind has an optimistic way of hoping for the best. It's what has allowed people to survive in hopeless conditions, then they pass on their optimistic genes, instead of the pessimist who just gives up and dies. Just because we are smart enough to be self-aware and consider mortality doesn't necessarily mean we are entitled to supernaturally having our "consciousness" preserved.

Chemical levels in the brain, strokes, birth defects, genetic predisposition to synaptic wiring (brain circuitry) all affect our "consciousness". It's this biological computer system that allows us to think these deep thoughts.

My thoughts on a supreme being can be pretty well summed up in these excellent video's. Do I know what will happen, no. But I would like to see my grandparents again some day. If you have a favorite "book" read it objectively, and don't be a sucker who accepts how people tell you to interpret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgZqnsytJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFM0_AhIYA

and of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6DnujiVCwo

May the deity of your choosing favor you above others.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
[, so I stand by my earlier statement that we should make the best of the life we have, because in terms of the here and now, that's all we've got.

Make the best? How do I do that?

My most rewarding moments are sitting on my backside contemplating unsolvable questions such as these. Someone else will think that's a total waste.

I don't think that's a waste at all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
They go into your memories.

Otherwise they are compost, recycled into the earth like everything else. Any other thoughts are conceited and delusional.

As an atheist...I still can not understand why on earth you post something like this to a person that is hurting.

"Conceited"? Hardly. You sound like you are describing yourself. Nobody knows for sure about what happens after we, or our loved pets die. Nothing wrong with a person to have faith or hope.

Is a false hope, truly worth having? To wish for something just for the sake of wishing?

Sure, I'd love to believe we all get to see our friends, family, pets, etc when we're gone. I just see no such evidence that would lead me to believe that could be possible. To deny reality and "hope" for something, doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
They go into your memories.

Otherwise they are compost, recycled into the earth like everything else. Any other thoughts are conceited and delusional.

As an atheist...I still can not understand why on earth you post something like this to a person that is hurting.

"Conceited"? Hardly. You sound like you are describing yourself. Nobody knows for sure about what happens after we, or our loved pets die. Nothing wrong with a person to have faith or hope.

You are delusional. Why did you take me off ignore? So I could tell you that?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Is a false hope, truly worth having? To wish for something just for the sake of wishing?

Sure, I'd love to believe we all get to see our friends, family, pets, etc when we're gone. I just see no such evidence that would lead me to believe that could be possible. To deny reality and "hope" for something, doesn't make sense to me.

You simply just need to accept this and believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxeqEoDXco

This very thread is why religion based topics should not be allowed. Never comes out well.

Hope you find peace with your pet passing.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
This probably isn't going to be a popular view but here is my take:

We are all what we are. Beings here until we are not. When we go in the ground, that's it, that's all she wrote. So make the best of your time while you have it. If you have a 4-legged companion, treat them well because the time you have with them is all there is, once they are gone, they are gone.

Leave nothing you many not be proud of. Make the most of your existence, the impact it has is your only legacy. Be memorable, because that is the only part of you that truly lives on.

I'm not religious in any way, shape or form. I am proud of who I am, where I came from and the mark I have and will leave. You define who you are to the world and to the history books. Make the most of it.

If you were good to your dog and made its life good, then that is all that matters in the context of this thread. Be proud of that, wear it, and live your life.
+1 I couldn't have said it any better. I too am not religious in any way.

I'd like to think we get reunited with our family and pets, but that's just totally unrealistic.

Just because you choose not to believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I didn't say it doesn't exist, I said it's unrealistic. Not probable. Not likely.

I don't know what happens when I die, and nobody knows. Not you, not me, not the priest, not the scientist. We don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care what happens when I die. You know why? Because it is literally impossible to find out. I'll find out one day, perhaps. I'm not "dying" to find out.

I'd rather live my life as a good person than waste my time possibly worshipping the wrong God, and spending all that time reading a book. I'd like to live a happy life and not have all this burden of worrying whether I'm living my life up to a god's expectations. I'm a happy person, and a good person, and I don't need a book to give me morals because having morals is just common sense.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
This probably isn't going to be a popular view but here is my take:

We are all what we are. Beings here until we are not. When we go in the ground, that's it, that's all she wrote. So make the best of your time while you have it. If you have a 4-legged companion, treat them well because the time you have with them is all there is, once they are gone, they are gone.

Leave nothing you many not be proud of. Make the most of your existence, the impact it has is your only legacy. Be memorable, because that is the only part of you that truly lives on.

I'm not religious in any way, shape or form. I am proud of who I am, where I came from and the mark I have and will leave. You define who you are to the world and to the history books. Make the most of it.

If you were good to your dog and made its life good, then that is all that matters in the context of this thread. Be proud of that, wear it, and live your life.
+1 I couldn't have said it any better. I too am not religious in any way.

I'd like to think we get reunited with our family and pets, but that's just totally unrealistic.

Just because you choose not to believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I didn't say it doesn't exist, I said it's unrealistic. Not probable. Not likely.

I don't know what happens when I die, and nobody knows. Not you, not me, not the priest, not the scientist. We don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care what happens when I die. You know why? Because it is literally impossible to find out. I'll find out one day, perhaps. I'm not "dying" to find out.

I'd rather live my life as a good person than waste my time possibly worshipping the wrong God, and spending all that time reading a book. I'd like to live a happy life and not have all this burden of worrying whether I'm living my life up to a god's expectations. I'm a happy person, and a good person, and I don't need a book to give me morals because having morals is just common sense.

Couldn't agree more. Religion was invented centuries ago to use the threat of an "afterlife" to keep people in line. It's an outdated joke for suckers.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Couldn't agree more. Religion was invented centuries ago to use the threat of an "afterlife" to keep people in line. It's an outdated joke for suckers.

I don't know if it was necessarily invented with that intent but it has an appeal that makes it easy for people to believe in. I view religion as more of a crutch. It must be deeply comforting and supportive to believe there is some entity looking out for your best interests, balancing the universe, making things happen that are beyond your understanding. Then, when it's over, you will be reunited with your loved ones.

I find it all to be completely asinine. Much to my detriment too. It has caused problems with relationships, family, friends, co-workers.

You don't necessarily have to practice religion to believe in some kind of higher power. I highly doubt life on this planet is the result of some kind of random conglomeration of molecules. All the 'religions' practiced in the world could all be wrong in their details, but the one thing they do have in common is the belief of some kind of higher power and plane of assistance.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You don't necessarily have to practice religion to believe in some kind of higher power. I highly doubt life on this planet is the result of some kind of random conglomeration of molecules. All the 'religions' practiced in the world could all be wrong, but the one thing they do have in common is the belief of some kind of higher power and plane of assistance.

Sorry, not buying it.

Not asking you or anyone else to 'buy it' ... that's my outlook. You believe what you want. You'll find out first hand when you die, just like everyone else.

We naturally tend to attribute human qualities to pets. A dog or cat usually becomes "one of the family", and even assimilates to the family structure in a basic way. Pets do have rudimentary emotions and feelings too, although most of it is instinctual.

In this thread, you have many opinions all over the place. So, how can there be any consensus? There can't be, since the opinions come from many individuals. That why we need the Biblical Word so badly.

Entrance to Heaven is via one source and one source only, a personal relationship with Jesus [censored] as your Savior. Accepting Him as your personal Savior cannot be accomplished by any pet. None of them have any concept of a soul, nor will any of them understand any concept of Heaven or Hades. They totally lack the capacity to understand the path to Salvation through Jesus [censored] so, no, your pet won't "go to Heaven" when it dies. Unlike a man, its existence ends at its death.

The joyous news is that we, men and women DO have a path to Heaven.

I knew that there was a reason that fate placed me at Warrane College, run by Opus Dei for a year...

IBTL

Originally Posted By: Shannow

IBTL

You beat me to it! I got sidetracked when I posted earlier.

IBTL

Cool stories.

Let us pray.

Our Pasta, who “Arghh” in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. R'amen.

IBTL.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You don't necessarily have to practice religion to believe in some kind of higher power. I highly doubt life on this planet is the result of some kind of random conglomeration of molecules. All the 'religions' practiced in the world could all be wrong in their details, but the one thing they do have in common is the belief of some kind of higher power and plane of assistance.

Truth. Frankly I find it amazing that anyone could NOT believe in some sort of Power. Too much apparent design and innate intelligence in everything that surrounds us.

The truly insecure feel the need to bash religion. Let 'er rip.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The truly insecure feel the need to bash religion. Let 'er rip.

IMO, the reverse is true.

The truly insecure are those tapping on my front door to "save" me, so that THEY can secure a better place at the table...ultimate Ponzi scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back