Purolator Boss PBL20252 [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting this for member FordBroncoVWJeta and he will answer any questions about the vehicle, conditions, oil used, length of run, etc. He informed me the dents happened on removal and it was packed well so no damage there.

I created a video so that everyone could see how it was opened. While I did have a little trouble with the cutter, it opened just fine. However, the first thing that I noticed when I unpacked the filter was the ziploc bag (photo below) was coated with oil. At first, I thought perhaps the filter had some residual oil in it, but unfortunately, the ADBV was cut through in at least 3 places. The reason for this (and I assume is the case with the other examples of this) is the base plate has some incredibly sharp edges left from the drilling process. You can see them in the photos, I tried to zoom in a bit. The only other comment I have about the baseplate is it is very thick and sturdy. Otherwise, the media was fine with no tears and no other issues were noted.

I will keep the filter for a bit before recycling in case there are other photos needed.

Date Code:

F = Fayetteville Plant
11 = Month (November)
G = Year (2015)
12 = Day of Month
B = Line
1 = Shift

G0UFer.jpg

2GycgH.jpg

F5Rq1a.jpg

lgqXZW.jpg

zZsw2c.jpg

MNc11x.jpg

JN0Kce.jpg

ckOQJO.jpg

cCa2hs.jpg

dx43aA.jpg

IhRqFC.jpg

1o2wsK.jpg

ldOkFv.jpg

Garbage manufacturing and drilling practices I should have stated. These will NOT go on any of my friends or families vehicles ever!

Originally Posted By: car51
Dunno about you 2015_PSD, but these Puro filters cutting into the ADBV= GARBAGE
I am going to remain an objective party here (since I did the cutting), but at first glance, it would **seem** that Purolator **may** have fixed the media issue, but **perhaps** they now have an issue with the production drilling of the base plates. **Maybe** this is an isolated incident and since it could be a filter from the initial run of Boss filters, **perhaps** it has been rectified. It **may** be they do not even know about it.
21.gif

Looks fine to me except for the cut ADBV. How is ADBV getting cut? Sharp edges?

The new Boss I cut open did not have cuts on the ADBV. Who knows if it had been run for X amount of miles it could have been cut too.

While putting the filter and tools away, I found that FordBroncoVWJeta had placed a note in the box I had missed with the particulars of the run:

Start of run = 04.04.2016
End of run = 06.16.2016
OCI = 5,746 miles
Oil = Valvoline SynPower 5W-40
Driving Style = Highway and Interstate usually between 65 and 80 MPH

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Looks fine to me except for the cut ADBV. How is ADBV getting cut? Sharp edges?
Yes; zoom in on the base plate holes and you can see the edges left from the drilling process.

You know what it is ? Those inlet holes have such sharp burrs, they're cutting into the ADBV !

Purolator can't get anything right !
wtf1_zps7bvq5yth.gif

Don't get too carried away with ADBV and it being a Purolator. I took a Fram Tough Guard off last year and it had a slice in the ADBV too.

I'll see if I can find the pics and post them.

Maybe Purolator is making these on their Ginsu knife line.

From the video, it looked like the pleats were straight and well placed, and the louvers looked pretty wide open.

And they probably have no idea what's going on. The consumer will have to tell them, but they probably won't believe the consumer.

"Tears in our filters? We don't have no tears in our filters. The consumers are all liars!"
wtf1_zps7bvq5yth.gif

If you bought one and it looks like this it is your duty to contact the manufacturer first. If they don't make good then take it elsewhere.

They fiddled with the design again. The old model had oval holes, and I believe that helps prevent the cutting with that style ADBV.

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL20252-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000E8XFM8?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

The Bosch D+ I cut and showed here has smaller round holes but a different ADBV and interior. What they need to do is stop fiddling with what real engineers did years ago, or do it right. Maybe these are new kid engineers or something, but anyone here could do a perfect job designing a baseplate that the holes don't cut into the ADBV. They could just chamfer the holes. What I don't understand is the burs shown don't look bad enough to cut through the valve. Injure it, but not slice through it. Maybe there is more to the assembly story.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
However, the first thing that I noticed when I unpacked the filter was the ziploc bag (photo below) was coated with oil. At first, I thought perhaps the filter had some residual oil in it, but unfortunately, the ADBV was cut through in at least 3 places. The reason for this (and I assume is the case with the other examples of this) is the base plate has some incredibly sharp edges left from the drilling process.

I don't understand what you're getting at here.

You had a used oil filter in a ziploc bag. Since it has an ADBV, you were expecting it to hold ALL of the old oil inside if it? The bag being coated in oil was a surprise? And you're saying this is a failure of the valve due to some small cuts that don't go all the way through?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You know what it is ? Those inlet holes have such sharp burrs, they're cutting into the ADBV !

Purolator can't get anything right !
wtf1_zps7bvq5yth.gif

Please explain, beyond it being somewhat sloppy manufacturing, how rough holes (on the side opposite the oil flows though) and slits in the ADBV will make this filter not do the job it's designed to.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
However, the first thing that I noticed when I unpacked the filter was the ziploc bag (photo below) was coated with oil. At first, I thought perhaps the filter had some residual oil in it, but unfortunately, the ADBV was cut through in at least 3 places. The reason for this (and I assume is the case with the other examples of this) is the base plate has some incredibly sharp edges left from the drilling process.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. You had a used oil filter in a ziploc bag. Since it has an ADBV, you were expecting it to hold ALL of the old oil inside if it? The bag being coated in oil was a surprise? And you're saying this is a failure of the valve due to some small cuts that don't go all the way through?
The cuts did go all the way through and I am not trying to say anything. You decide for yourself what the video and photos show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back