I was let go from my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Solar City is hiring 100's of people.
Try and get in there doing anything with the intent of working your way back to IT.

Yeah, good luck with that! Might have a job by 2019...

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick R
because I hated living in Ohio.

Why do you say that?

I don't think Ohio is that bad, but there are a lot of narrow minded superstitious people. Cost of living is reasonable, jobs are decent, and I like the seasons. I spent 2 summers in southern Georgia, the heat and humidity were brutal. I felt more comfortable in the 110 degree heat of New Mexico.

If climate shift continues, it's just a matter of time until Cincinnati is the new Key West.
wink.gif
Perhaps my grandchildren will summer in Canada to escape the heat, and take excursions wearing environmental suits to view the formerly populated state of Arkansas. "Look daddy!" as my great grandson points to a desiccated body with a mullet and a tattered wife-beater.

These are the good old days.......

Why do you say that?

if you come from somewhere with hills, Ohio can be a very strange place. Maybe it's a form of agorafobia

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Why do you say that?

if you come from somewhere with hills, Ohio can be a very strange place. Maybe it's a form of agorafobia

Columbus and Cincinnati I like. The rest of Ohio you can keep!

I’ve lived in Ohio all my life, so I guess I’m biased. Though I’ve visited many other states and seen some very nice country, I’ve yet to see anything that would make me want to leave. A few reasons are:

Flatlands...I love ‘em. You can keep your hills/mountains. Winter driving there is for the birds.
Rain/snow...no matter how much we get, someone else is getting it worse.
Weather...few tornadoes...no hurricanes...few heavy snowfalls...few ice storms...occasional dryness but no serious droughts...floods—only if you’re dumb enough to live too close to the water. Many high 90s in the summer, few below 0 during the winter. Often humid or dry for extended periods.
Ohio is a very cloudy place, especially in winter. Alcohol helps with that.
Environment...no forest fires...no earthquakes...no volcanoes...no sharks...no mountain lions and no gators. Some coyotes and lots of deer. The NW is FARM COUNTRY. Elsewhere...not so much.

I’ve not commented on anything man-made because that is entirely subjective. Our cities are old. Inner-city streets are bad. There is always a lot of freeway construction going on...but at least they get fixed. Can you say the same? There is always crime in the cities, but rural is usually safe. Some folks here still don’t lock their doors at night and always know where their cars keys are...in the ignition. Don’t whine about the food here. The pizza-seafood-BBQ-et al is ALWAYS better somewhere else...deal with it. Politics...liberal in the cities, conservative elsewhere...usually, but who knows what will happen this year.

heh, that's true. First time I drove across OH I was flabbergasted at seeing where I would be in an hour or so. Crazy.

I have nothing against any other state, I'm glad people live where they want to be, I won't bad-mouth another state--but I very much like where I am.

The older I get the more I look to retirement. The more stuff I do around town the more I realize how happy I'd be to just live small town life. Another decade or so I'd love to change careers and work locally, or just work in community minded stuff. No one reading my obit will care that I put in decades of service at one company, or multiple ones, just whatever I did outside of work.

My career goal these days is to retire.
wink.gif

Every time I see a forecast for snow, cold, rain, sleet, or any other non-riding weather, the more I wish I lived in Texas.

True, although I ran into an acquaintance who indicate he got crazy miles in this winter, due to the lack of snow. I felt rather shamed that I came into the season with so little miles under my belt.

Oh wait--that was about bicycle riding.
wink.gif

I took a half day on Thurs and had some time, so I took a ride. I missed the memo about how hot it would be, and about gave myself heat exhaustion on my ride--fast pulse, dizzy, nausea, alternated between cold and hot/sweaty for the rest of the day. 10 miles in the sun and I was done for--I think I'll go back to riding morn/evening until this heat wave ends. Must have hit 85.

Actually, it's 85 today and I have to keep taking breaks from just cleaning the cars. It's just too brutal outside.

Ohio is ok. I worked in Toledo for 17 years before the company closed the local office. I managed a transfer to here just before the axe fell. My 3 kids were born in Toledo. It's not all flat, there are mountains in the southern part, next to W Virginia.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Every time I see a forecast for snow, cold, rain, sleet, or any other non-riding weather, the more I wish I lived in Texas.

I generally don't mind snow and enjoy the four seasons, but yeah, when you have SEVEN feet of snow in your yard, it gets tiresome (November of 2014). Last winter was basically an extended autumn though with record temps...

But other places have their weather pitfalls and share of natural disasters...

I like the fact of where I live is very safe. It's ranked 7th in the state and 26th or so in the country. The police here look at me like I have a horn coming out of my head. Looking at me up and down. I just gawk at them right back...........no problems.
laugh.gif

Boy it's like crickets in here today.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the variety of information. Still looking for a job at this point. I've gone on a couple of interviews, phone and personal. No confirmed hits yet.

I wouldn't say I'm discouraged, but this whole experience is really playing into the "am I even that good of an IT professional" mindset. Wondering what I need to really focus on to stand out.

Been thinking about moving, but doubt the Mrs. would want any part of that. I would miss family, friends and the car community around here. Unfortunately I think I am stuck. Down south, out west, maybe Texas... all sound good right about now. I just don't know.

Keep looking as you will eventually find a job in the IT field. Some say networking on LinkedIn helps when looking for work.

In my field its word of mouth that gets people a job interview when open position hasn't been posted yet.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Wondering what I need to really focus on to stand out.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of your career. When I hire someone, their technical skill set is just one part of the equation. The other very important part is what some refer to as emotional intelligence. I'm looking for a person that may not know everything (technical), but can apply themselves to learn what's required with every new challenge. I want someone with the push to get the job done, whatever it takes. Integrity, honesty, humbleness, reliability, ability to work with others (customers, bosses, peers,). Someone that can work on their own,but at the same time follow directions. Someone who communicates well in all modes. Carefully present some balance in your life also...family, recreation, or whatever. Someone with these attributes will outshine others all the time, even ones with higher technical skills.

Present the above attributes at your job interview In order to stand out. The confidence of someone that admits he can't answer a particular interview question, but has the ability to learn and get up to speed quickly outweighs a know-it-all in my book. Stick with it. Seek professional help, even if only on the web, to deal with your emotional challenges during the job hunt. I haven't been in your shoes for over 35 years, so accept my arm chair quarterback advice for what it is.

Best wishes on your career move.

Sometimes it takes time. Also, this time of year not too many people are hiring. Production is down in a lot of businesses since everyone and their brother is taking time off, so money isn't coming in as much (unless back to school or education is part of your business). Give it a month or so and I'm sure there will be more jobs out there.

You are in Rochester right?

Originally Posted By: supton

heh, that's true. First time I drove across OH I was flabbergasted at seeing where I would be in an hour or so. Crazy.

I recently drove through PA for the first time in the daylight. I never realized how big the hills were. They make our hills in upstate NY look like little dirt mounds!

redhat,

Are you sure you wife would object to moving ?
Has she grown permanent roots in her career that prevents her from moving ?

Jobs are out there but sometimes moving is necessary.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Guess someone didn't like me. Wondering also if maybe it's some sort of discrimination as I was helping the CEO months ago and he said that I could use some exercise. I told my boss who wanted to tell HR (under the presumption that it wouldn't get to the CEO in fear of retaliation).

Redhat: I have been an industry consultant for over 35 years and you basically committed "job suicide" by having your manager tell the HR woman about the CEO's remarks. Being overweight in America is not a protected class. So, any employer can terminate your employment at will for it. That said, please understand that the HR lady probably ratted you out back to the CEO as some type of litigation threat to the company and the obvious response was "get rid of both of them". Ok, so the lesson is:

1. NEVER EVER EVER tell anyone you are looking for a job....NEVER.
2. NEVER EVER assume the HR Manager isn't the back door hatchet man for the CEO.
3. Understand that HR people are hired to "protect the company" NOT YOU.
4. If you are going to be overweight...find out what the general opinion of that status is inside the company. Then keep it to yourself.
5. Try to get to a BMI of less than 23. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

I have hired lots of sales people over the past 3 decades and my two absolute best hires were one bald fat guy who broke the company sales records 6 years in a row and earned over $250k and a severely obese (200lbs overweight) woman with a criminal record who came in right behind the bald fat guy...
lol.gif
lol.gif
all the "pretty people" were green with envy. The bald guy lost his weight but the woman died before age 60 from a heart attack. So losing your weight is a good idea for your families future. I struggle with weight too so I know this well.

Now you need to get your references in order and never mention the CEO remarks thing to anyone. Use your boss who got canned as your reference as well as any co-workers who will give you a god reference on the QT. Stay clear of the HR lady.

Good luck. Try using INDEED for your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back